Affordable Alternatives To Designer Clothing?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Jul 4, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anything 'designer' can be damn expensive. For those who are fashion-minded, this could present a problem if every time there's a new fad you need to get yourself new clothes, shoes, accessories and so on. How do you save money but still dress stylishly?

Probably the easiest way to do that would be by getting cheaper knock-offs as alternatives to the more expensive designer clothing or footwear.

Thoughts?

2. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the real easy method is to not follow the trends and just wear what you want and what you like. But that's kind of like cheating since you're asking about alternatives to more expensive designer clothing. Still, it is an alternative I guess.

Further to that however, there's always the cheap knock offs as you say. Guacki instead of Guicci for example. Some of these things you can't tell the difference, but a lot of the time these sorts of things are funding criminal gangs who use sweatshops and such to make their products.

3. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    I am not fashion minded, but if I was I would buy, the same clothes from fake brands. Most people do this, and they don't care. I would be careful the fake brand not to be too noticeable. Buying expensive clothes is such a waste of money. I don't understand those people who pay so much money for clothes.

4. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I would go with the knock off route myself. But occasionally, I treat myself to a pair of nice earrings or a designer scarf. Nothing too expensive, you know. Or on the really rare occasion, I can find a designer bag at a thrift store. But I would say the best thing to do is not to let the latest trends control you. It can become a vicious cycle, not being happy with what you having, wishing you could afford something better.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a stylish or fashionable person so It really doesn't matter to me if what I wear is "designer" or just off the rack. As long as it looks good on me and I'm comfortable wearing it. :)

I know some people who dress so smart/fashionable and yet they are not wearing designer clothes at all. On the other hand, I also know some people who wear designer clothes and yet it looked plain on them. :D

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in Southern California. The Garment District is located in downtown Los Angeles. Anyone can get designer clothes or just fashionable clothes for cheap if they are willing to invest the time and energy shopping there. I used to shop downtown when I was younger. There are also fashion outlets or outlet malls where you can pick up designer clothing at good prices.

7. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    You can search this keyword itself in Google and you will get some websites that sell fashion cloths at a cheaper rate.

8. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    What keyword?

Also something that I failed to mention earlier, and which no one else seems to have said, when you go with the cheap knock offs, you do pay for the price. More often than not, cheap knock offs will fall apart far too easily, which means you'll have to buy more of them. It's a false economy.

9. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I don't consider myself fashion minded. I don't see the sense in it because trends come and go so quickly. By the time I could afford to update my wardrobe, the industry has already moved onto a new fad. I try to stick to timeless staples like solid color tshirts, jeans, and boots. When I buy dressier items like dresses then I usually go with the trends, if even just because that's all that will be available. Although, I highly think that every woman should have a classic little black dress that they keep on hand for emergencies!

I do suggest that if you like a new trend then you take the time to search for it on Amazon. If you type in the keywords, you can usually find the expensive products, yes, but in the "recommended for you" section, there will be cheaper options.

No matter what though, at the end of the day, your style should reflect YOU and not the style magazines and definitely not the fashion runways. Unless, of course, that's just what you're into. :)

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Besides not following fashion trends, which would make this too easy, try finding a nice old seamstress (not sure if that's the right term) who can make the clothing for you for much cheaper than what you'd buy at the store.
    At least around my area I can usually find some retired old ladies who do this type of work on the side and not only is it cheaper, the clothing us custom-made to fit you and to your specifications.

11. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    The problem with knockoffs is that they just don't look good as the actual thing, they are cheaper quality and don't last as long. However, I do understand your problem, everyone wants those beautiful designer clothes, what I would recommend is to try and get those item you want when they come on clearance. Many stores put entire lines on clearance after a couple months at their end of season sales, you can usually get stuff that is marked down up to 70%!

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I really don't care about designer clothing at all, but in Ebay there are lots of sellers selling 2nd hand designer clothes, bags, shoes, etc. I think if the seller is located in China, then you should be wary, because there is a strong likelihood that it might be fake, but if the seller is from the US or from some other country, then I think they sell the genuine ones most of the time. So I think you can save a lot just by buying 2nd hand designer items.

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. You can find great choices on sites on eBay. The problem is sometimes when you get the actual piece, it doesn't look anything like what you viewed online. I don't mind buying fashionable pieces from Thrift Stores. I know there are some people who look their noses down on second hand pieces but if it looks good on me and I like it, then I am happy. You can also find many small boutique stores online that carry knock offs of fashionable pieces. The choices are unlimited and for some reason I was never into the whole designer craze.

14. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    When I look at a guy that I think is good looking, clothes do count. Not because they were expensive, Personally I can't tell the difference between jeans that were $200 or jeans that were $10.

Clothes only matter when they don't look good on the guy. Like a guy in a dirty shirt and shorts with messy hair is gross but that same guy in a clean shirt combed hair and some jeans could be a lot more appealing even if he bought those clothes from Walmart or even the thrift store I couldn't care less. The only reason I sometimes buy designer is because most of the time they're better quality clothing and they last longer.