Affordable Hair Cuts

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by steph84 • Jun 18, 2012.

1. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone! Where do you go for affordable hair cuts other than Super Cuts? I am thinking I may try out a beauty school, but kind of scared. I have been cutting my own hair now and it's been okay, but now I am ready for a new change.

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I cut my own hair because it's cheaper for me. I watch YouTube videos and I learn how to cut it the right way. I haven't had my hair cut by someone else in a while. When I do go to the barber I use a local one by my house, but it's not a major chain like Super Cuts.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I get my hair cut in a local street market. It costs 5 Euro (around £4, or $6) and it's as good a cut as I get anywhere, as it's done by a qualified hairdresser who relies on volume of sales. All she does is cuts, and she gives you a numbered ticket so you can go off around the market and come back when it's your turn.

4. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have the courage to cut my own hair - I wish I did! Hair salons are expensive in this part of town where I live but thank goodness, after shopping around, I found one that charged me about USD11. That is the cheapest and that's only for a wash and a haircut. In my home country, it could be half of 11 dollars including blowdry.

5. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I can cut my own hair without any problems because I am a trained hairstylist. Many people say that it's not possible to give yourself a good haircut but I have done it successfully. It's just a matter of technique.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I usually go to Super Cuts or Fantastic Sams for an affordable hair cut. I usually just trim my own bangs inbetween haircuts to save some money. I have nevertried to do more than that by myself.

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Another option is, you could pop in at one of the high end salons or like a Tony and Guy salon...and check if they have any places open for when they have their students pass exams or whatever. In London, for a fiver, you can get an awesome cut by a professional at a high end salon...but they often only offer certain types of cuts and color etc...you can say no but the opportunity is there for you to say 'yes'.

Just pop in and ask if they are running any promotions etc...

8. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    I have heard of people going to the beauty college for cheaper haircuts and styles and even though we often "hear" horror stories, I have yet to meet anyone who was unhappy with their new cut. I say give them a try. Personally, I have only had my hair professionally done a couple of times. My mother usually cuts my hair. I make it simple. I grow my hair out until I can't stand it anymore then have her chop it off to chin length. I keep my hair back in a ponytail 99% of the time though so that may not be for you. ;)

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problems cutting my hair myself, and I'm not a trained beautician, so I don't see why a beauty school student would do a worse job. If you've been cutting your hair yourself, then maybe a beauty school is the way to go.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have only ever had my mom cut it or I've trimmed it up myself. If you have any friends at all who could help you out with a new style, go for it, and exchange something else with them. Maybe you can mend some of their clothes or bring them a six pack or something instead of a full salon price having to be paid, plus tip.

11. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    My mother went to a hair school and they did a terrible job. I used to go to a Supercuts or Magicuts and they did a terrible, terrible job every time. I moved nearly four years ago and I decided to go to a barber who works near where I do my grocery shopping and he has done a fantastic job since then. It is $3 more than Magicuts and I like my haircuts. I wish there was a cheaper alternatives and those machines you see on television never work.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I will give beauty school a go since it's summer and I don't have much to lose. If they do a bad job, I can also go for a bob or something really short. Thanks!

13. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    My mom cuts my hair. I've had several friends go to beauty schools and have never really heard of any major problems. The good thing is that it will grow back!

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That's the spirit!

More often than not, they do a great job. If you're trying out an entirely new style, they're going to have an instructor right there watching over them anyway, but if you're doing the same style you already have, then there's nothing really to worry about. They'll trim off whatever hair, give you a great shampoo/rinse if you want, and you'll be on your way for a cheap price.