Affordable Health Care Plans??

Discussion in Life & Health Insurance started by pafjlh • Apr 6, 2013.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have a family member who could be looking for a new health insurance plan. She would like something that is affordable in its monthly payments. I know that isn't too easy to find especially for a woman who happens to also have an existing health condition, but I would appreciate any suggestions any of you might have.

2. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    I don't know what state you"re in, but I would recommend that your relative first determines if she is eligible for your state's healthcare plan. For example, in NY, depending on income you could be eligible for free Medicaid or other healthcare at a greatly reduced monthly price. On her next hospital visit, she should speak to advocate they may be able to assist her with applying.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but at this time I don't think she does qualify. She is someone who currently works in Arizona in the education field. But from the looks of things she could become a victim of the sequester and the fact that a large chunk of money has been cut out of education. So, she may have no choice but to leave her job after this year. But given her financial earnings for the past year odds are state health care won't consider her as candidate. So, she has to look for some affordable health care of her own.

4. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    Sorry to hear that, but she should be eligible for COBRA for a while and if she is eligible for unemployment, she would have documented proof of her revised income. That is what she would need to qualify for her state health plan. They would show her as eligible if her premiums were unaffordable. In my personal case, after Cobra expired the healthcare company hiked my premiums to $11k per year. Get her to at least try that avenue, as it will be least expensive option, especially with a pre-existing condition.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah well she won't qualify for unemployment because leaving will be her choice after more or less being forced out. What has now happened in she and others in her position were given that old speech about how their hours must now be cut so they no longer qualify for benefits. They will also be working even harder for lesser pay, my sister feels that this is something she can't do. So, she feels that if she leaves she can become semi-retired taking a monthly check on her retirement, and pull part of her sick leave that she allowed back in a payback. Then look for a part time job to help supplement the income. I guess Cobra is something she could consider if its not too expensive, but I really wish that health insurance was more affordable. Thank you for your suggestions.

6. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    Sounds like a really tough situation. I sincerely hope that she is able to figure it all out. I would encourage her to seek out options like using Walmart or Target's prescription drug program. She may be able to get her maintenance medications at $4 for generics. I use a discount card, which helps reduce the payments for my blood pressure meds, since I have an annual deductible. I end up paying about $50 less per year on meds. The website also lets you research the price of your meds by pharmacy to ensure you get the best price. The tool is free to use and you dontdon't have to register for anything. I'm not sure if it can be used outside of the U.S , but the website is

. Good luck!

7. Sharon

SharonNew Member

Threads:
    In your scene i can only suggest you one thing you should contact any social worker he can guide you much better for this, He can help you to find a good job or also helps you to choose a better health insurance may be he can contact any charitable institute for your help.

#7May 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  8. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    That's a great idea charitable groups can very helpful. You can also go to the hospital and negotiate a payment plan for services.

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The most affordable health care plan would be to adopt a healthy lifestyle, eating natural food, lowering stress and enjoying life. Most illnesses are preventable and caused by poor lifestyle choices. Living a 'natural' lifestyle also means coming off drug dependency and saving money in the process.