Affordable, high-quality cooking oil

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Dora M • Jul 10, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My kitchen doesn't feel complete without a bottle of dark, cold-pressed olive oil. I usually buy it at a health food store where I bring along my own bottle and refill it from a big bulk container. I like the fact that I can buy whatever quantity I like, and also fill up small bottles with special oils, such as walnut or pumpkinseed oil, that I wouldn't be able to find in a supermarket. It saves me a lot of money.
    What kind of cooking oil do you use on a daily basis, and where do you buy it?

2. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Olive oil is my 'go to' everyday oil also. I used to use the dark sesame oil but it got too expensive. I love that oil tho, not just for ethnic foods. I also love walnut oil. I can appreciate your post talking about having oils not found in supermarkets. I love avocado oil. also have found the farmer's markets that have local olive oil and it's awesome. But good oils everywhere are expensive right now. I will still spend for them tho as they truly taste better, I mean over the moon better.

I also use oils as carrier oils with essential oils, so they have to be a higher food grade.

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I use Extra Virgin Olive oil. I usually get a large bottle for $8 and it'll last me a month and half. Which to me is a fantastic deal. But other than that I don't really use bottled oil. I will use real butter for certain things. Because sometimes Olive oil does not go well with everything. It also burns a lot faster, so if I need super hot oil I'll use butter. I use locally made butter which is $3 and lasts me about a month depending on what I cook. Sometimes longer.