Afraid To Shop Online

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by elguz • Feb 17, 2016.

1. elguz

elguzNew Member

Threads:
    I have always wanted to do online shopping because it is very convenient. The idea of not going out, at the comfort of my bed, and not even bother about dressing up while I shop is already awesome. But everytime I was about to confirm my orders, I always get struck with 'what if' questions in my head. Like, what if it's a scam, what if the size is wrong, what if the product is just of picture quality, what if the site hacks the details of my credit card.

I've had a bad experience on the first online shopping I did. The album I ordered never came to me, I spent about $70. I was a first timer and I did not ask myself the 'what if' questions before and that became a lesson learned. Unfortunately, that was the first and last online purchase I made.

Now, whenever I go online and see really good items, I get tempted to buy. Honestly, I am on the brink of giving it a try again but I want to ask your opinions first. What do you think is the best way for me to avoid getting fooled? Do you have any recommended sites where to do the shopping? I live in Asia by the way. Thanks.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can understand how you feel buying online and not getting your order. What company did you go to and do they have a customer service that you can go to work things out with the company. I do my shopping at amazon.com and just this past one time my order did not arrive and I've been in touch with the company about it. They were quite nice about the shipment which was a very small package that can easily get lost. Well, just the week that the company said to me sorry for the inconvenience and if it comes I can keep it free. They reversed the charges, I said thanks and if it did come I'd pay for it. Well it did come, I asked customer service about it they said they'd contact the company. The company said thanks, apologized and said keep it on them anyway! See what a little working together did for me? It's a good idea to check the site for BBB accreditation, or go to BBB.org to check the company. Check their customer service and see what can be done to work together to solve the problem. The magic phrase I found is looking forward to working together with you to solve this does wonders. Good luck and I hope you get a refund or your item! I also check reviews before I go to shop and there is norton safe web check I do on new sites I find. Here on the forum you can ask have you heard of or what experiences have you had with this certain company online too. Good luck!

3. elguz

elguzNew Member

Threads:
    It was a local site run by a fanbase, since I ordered an album of a particular musician that I like. When I first notified them that my package has not arrived yet and it was already past the estimated time of arrival, I received emails and sms from them checking out how they could help. They said they would figure it out. They told me they encountered problems with the shipment but assured me that I would receive my package. Weeks have past, they became less responsive to my queries until I could'nt reach them anymore. Their site seemed to be down as well. That's it.

By the way, thank you so much for letting me know about bbb.org. I have taken note of it. I think I will try amazon. I hope to find great stuff there.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I do not like to buy clothes online because I like to try them on. I do not think that this is a fear of shopping online though.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never buy clothes online because I had a bad experience once. However I'm not trying to convince you not to buy clothes online. You can get better deals but whilst you are it, buy from reputable stores only. I've heard that though almost everything on Amazon is cheaper the clothes aren't. You could take a look around and find out for yourself if that's true or not.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was afraid way back when I first started shopping online - 10 years ago. Now, I'm not really worried, I have been doing it for so long and rarely have any issues.
    A problem could happen, for sure. But the chances are slim, nowadays there is a lot of protection for the payment process, stores have credentials from security and quality websites. It's safe.
    The only thing you need to always pay attention is if the store you are buying from is legit and reputable. If it doesn't have a credential for security, for quality websites, if you search it online and find red flags, don't buy.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what you wish to buy, and you said the item was a fanbase rather than a company you have to take that into consideration. It's like buying from an occasional ebay seller versus Target, you can't compare the two. Always check the small print, and keep contact details (email, phone numbers), and while there are scams, if it's too cheap then look into the refund policy.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You should have used Paypal so that you can get a refund. Always use Paypal and not your credit card whenever you shop online so that you won't get scammed. If something goes wrong then you can easily file for a dispute, especially now that Paypal has extended the dispute timeframe to 5 months or 180 days. That should be enough to see if the package has been sent or not.

9. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I am pretty sure that you are not alone here, and I do know that it took my parents some time to really trust the whole online shopping thing. For many it is a matter of putting your information out there, and that is certainly understandable. I feel like if you get a good couple of experiences under your belt, though, you will see that it is just fine.

10. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    I would shop at reputable companies that has been around for a while. For instance, companies like Amazon, Target and

. You just need to make sure these companies will send products to your country. When I first started shopping online, I would only order at companies that I knew had a good reputation. When I did have problems with an order, I would call and the company would take care of it. Target had an issue with certain accounts being compromised a couple of years ago, but they did cancel the cards and provided new cards. Customers were also able to use a credit monitoring service for one year. I think we also need to be diligent in checking our accounts.

11. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    As long as you buy from well known companies, you shouldnt have any problems. They are normally great about working through any problems that you might have.

If you want to buy from a place you haven't heard of, just look up reviews of the site.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy items from online stores once in a while but on a selective basis. Two weeks ago we had a garden hose delivered on COD basis, the 4th we bought online. I usually buy dog shampoo and some other pet items from one online store. But with clothes, I am careful because if there's a problem with size then I have to undergo the process of replacement - send back again. I had already mentioned this item called jennings, a type of jeans that would hide the bulges in my tummy. But the attendant couldn't say what I size I should order.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    You could try just buying from sites or certain trusted buyers. If you are really worried then just test out an individual seller with a smaller item first to boost your confidence. If you receive it without problems then you could move on to higher priced items. All in all there will always be risk involved but I found that even just relying on the feedback alone can provide as enough of a security measure to make sure you don't get screwed over. Also, sites like ebay have measures put in to ensure buyer satisfaction and if you don't receive the item you can file a dispute and you will win it if you really didn't get it, so I'd suggest going there if you are on the fence.

14. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    It's just that you need to know that a website is legit and trustworthy. I'm skeptical trusting sites I've never seen before or don't look like the site itself is professional. So what you can do is look for online reviews about that site that you want to order from if you're not familiar with it. See what other customers have had to say about it. I once saw a site with extremely adorable clothing and looked professional, but when I went online for reviews, they were all horrible. People complaining that they never received their items and so on and so forth. So check out reviews first. That's about all I can offer for advice. It helps me out a lot though.

15. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    That is a good suggestion DrRipley. I recently purchased just a couple of items from a company I never used before. I am so glad I only brought two items. I don't normally buy clothes online, but the price was too much of a deal to pass up. One of the items arrived, but it was too small and made me look bulky. Fortunately, my daughter could fit the skirt and look fine. The other item have not arrived yet. So I won't be ordering from that company again. :rolleyes:

16. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Shopping online can pose a bit of a challange sometimes. There is the danger of credit card fraud, receiving sub-standard goods, and frustration arising from difficulties to get refunds or replacements. However good values may be had from online shopping, but I suggest you do some intensive research before you commit.

17. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Your concerns are perfectly legitimate. Online shopping has many pitfalls but if you follow the tried and tested path, things should work out perfectly. Shop from trusted sites like E-bay or Amazon and other trusted online stores like Walmart. Read customer reviews about the rating of what you want to buy. You can even send your measurements online if you want a perfect fit. Use a secure payment service like Paypal.

18. MomOfThree1980

MomOfThree1980New Member

Threads:
    I'm usually concerned with online shopping. I like to try my clothes on first since sizing varies so much with me. I really only shop online for shoes at dsw and swimsuits at swimsuitsforall. I'll look at the stores around me online first to see if they have what I'm looking for but then I'll try it on and buy it in store.

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a few Asian online stores offer cash on delivery options so you might want to take advantage of this option. This gives you enough leeway to see the item first before making a final purchase decision. Not all stores offer this option, though, so do your research. Also, it would be good to read reviews before purchasing. They will give you a better perspective on the item you intend to buy.

20. LilyRaven

LilyRavenNew Member

Threads:
    It's been said, but I think it cannot be stressed enough to only buy from reputable online retailers. I have a few stores I shop at on the regular and it's because I know they're legitimate. I did my research, read reviews, etc before making any kind of purchase. Another tip I would give is to use paypal for your transaction just to give you an extra layer of protection. I use Amazon and 5.99 fashion. They are both awesome and you can't beat the low or free shipping.