Against the Media-Industry (Mainly Music & Video/Film): Beyonce's Only 33 Today?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by mythman • Sep 4, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'M 33! Why aren't I

anytime I want?

It could be because Beyonce has the skills (and has had them for 15-or-so years) & persistently presented them in a variety of ways for the use of a variety of powerful people, but the reason I'm drawn to focus-on is 'that she was GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY to present her skills to the right people.' And I was NOT given such an opportunity.

Why? Of course, I naturally want to pull-out the big 'because I am a Traumatic Brain-Injury.' But I think that's more "my excuse for not trying" than "why I've been denied all opportunity" (although you're not usually going to 'ask for submissions' from a TBI ... and I know I'm 'a TBI-survivor or -conqueror,' but that's a conscious addition to your subconscious perception that Sees EVERYONE as "what's been done to them.")

Plus, the kind of work I'd submit isn't the kind that Beyonce does---the young energy, running & singing & jumping & jiving & beyouncing ;); mine's more of a behind-the-scenes, old-people kind of work---something like an acting-coach or an emotion-counselor.

So where's MY opportunity? (my "shot at redemption"? my chance not "to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard Bonedigger Bonedigger" ... etc.)

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    This is a very interesting topic! I have a friend who loves Beyoncé. While she was never someone I took much note of, I decided to watch some of the documentaries on her and began to listen to some of her music. If I were to make a summary of my 'findings' I would have to say she really does seem to work hard at putting her all into a performance. There aren't too many who are so involved with things such a staging, choreography, lyrics, costume design, and back-up support. Her involvement with her career on so many levels, does leave one inspired to become a more industrious woman. However, I do not admire what that life style brings. I think she represents women as a whole who are the 'un-sung hero's' of our society; working hard, raising families, surviving trauma, and still carrying on with a smile on their faces. I think we all have an opportunity every day to shine on the worlds stage as it were. Of course, we won't pull in the millions Beyoncé does for what we do. But we also won't have the nightmare of having the world watch us grow old, of trying to keep up with changing fashion, and of trying to protect our children from the tree climbing paparazzi who are waiting for our every slip up.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know her whole story, but I'm pretty sure she was given nothing. She was worked hard from the get go and they never ever gave up. You aren't just given anything in that industry. Actually, I take that back.. it was never like that back then lol. Now, just go make a fool of yourself enough and you'll find your 15 minutes ;) My point is, if you're hard working and super persistent.. I mean, SUPER persistent, you can get things done. You have to know the path and beat it down harder than the ones who paved it. Just wanting it isn't enough. Just having talent isn't enough (look at who becomes famous these days.. NO talent!). It needs to be your everything and you need to invest more time than most people have without losing their lives in the process lol.

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I guess that upsets me because it makes the media seem like a two-dimensional (no shadow) picture. I know 'discussing both sides' (the hard work AND the easy livin`) introduces more complexity than a lot of people want to give celebrities--they're our ENTERTAINERS & nothing else, right? so their WHOLE LIFE away from entertaining-us should be 'caviar dreams' of the 'lifestyles of the rich & famous,' right?--but leaving out 'the shadow' (hard work, persistance, stressful anxiety) makes it seem like the 'Gumdrop Palace on CandyLand Mountain'-picture Christians seem to have of Heaven :rolleyes:

'What it takes' is "people supporting your persistent effort." True, the 'supporters' that move you up the ladder of success (producers, agents, etc.) get their pay-off--higher-&-higher the more-successful they help make you--but there IS that additional 'all these people depend on your high quality work'-initiative that pushes one to make a better effort.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    That entire world is something that most would not understand, unless they once lived it. I've known people in various parts of show business and it's not just tough work, marketing, or having the right people behind you. While I can say that talent comes in last with some people in front of the camera, it's not all what it's cracked up to be.

Though I'm sure Beyonce's the exception when it comes to business matters, there are some who are not "lucky" enough to have a business-minded father to watch over things. The money, branding, public relations and ensuring a nice royalties package for when it comes time to hang up the mike is only part of their world. Many people on the radio now may be taking your food order 5 or 10 years from now because of bad business decisions. Some are not strong and don't have anyone they can trust so they take the easy way out. This could have been the case with Simone Battle.

Now, I don't know Beyonce but I have heard some interesting things, going all the way back to the first Destiny's Child lineup. I won't repeat here but if half of it is true, then me and many others would rather take a 9-5, while running a household, and taking care of kids, etc, etc. With a smile, of course :D

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Well you have to make your own opportunities. You can't expect somebody to just hand you a silver platter and go "Here you go! Make the world applaud to your talents". There are a lot of talented people out there and some of them can topple the big names of today it's just that they needed some exposure. Even if you have the talents and you make no effort to show it to everybody then you're not going to be that big. And as of today, there's really no excuse. If you want your talents recognized and nobody is giving you a break, make your own way then. Go to Youtube, show your talents. There are no excuses.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I guess that's what bothers me about 'when VH1-etc. show us "how celebrities are livin`"'---they don't show us the constant stress they have to deal with the other 99.9% of the time ... the constant knowledge that--just like all the fortune came to you by luck (mostly)--it can be torn away from you just as 'luckily.'

In the non-famous world, we're living on the firm foundation of 'work & contracts'; celebrities are on a similar foundation, but the contracts are guaranteed by 'luck'---i.e. the producers don't fulfill those contracts unless ... I dunno, but I imagine it's like those 'internet business' that SAY you can earn "bajillions" but have the small print that make it more like 'you can earn bajillions if everything in your world is set up in "such a way" :rolleyes:'

I have no webcam. I DID have a microphone, & posted some readings & statements on YouTube (I THINK they're still up, though I MIGHT have gotten 'banned' ... check username mythmanjay, maybe?)

It's like 'the old days,' except--where you once had to be persistent in displaying your talents in the right clubs--NOW you have to be persistent in displaying your talents 'on the right channels' (focusing on the channel of your 'right audience' so much that the producers--who reeally CARE what the audience is doing--sit up & take notice!)

8. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    If you've got a huge following online then the producers will come in eventually. It's talent + audience + appeal. If you have like a ton of followers online it will create it's own way. Take a look at Karmin, the duo started out off of Youtube and now you can hear them in the radio and pretty much everywhere. But it's all hard work and down times, showing your talents isn't enough you have to make an effort.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Youtube fame doesn't always lead to mainstream fame, but it can lead to money. A lot of everyday people don't know who Pewdiepie is, and he doesn't have a TV show or recording contract,
    but since he has a ton of followers, he basically gets paid millions of dollars to play video games on his Youtube channel. If you have enough views and subscribers, you can become a Youtube partner and show ads on your videos and make a lot of money. Pewdiepie makes as much as some celebrities to sit in his living room and play video games. Sounds like a sweet gig but it probably took him years to get that many subscribers.