Air Fares For Minor

Discussion in Travel started by Decentlady • Feb 3, 2017.

1. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    The air fares as we know aren't getting any cheaper as time goes on. I feel children atleast should be exempted until may be in their teenage years.

Imagine the air fares for a family of4 or 5 (2/3 kids). I find it is a real finance killer. Most young kids don't even occupy a seat nor do they eat a full meal. Then how can anyone justify the full air travel charges for them?

What do you think about this? Shouldn't there be a movement against such a day light robbery?

2. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Long back, children under certain age had half tickets while for the toddlers it was free. But then the cost of tickets were way higher as it is now.
    With the introduction of cheaper air tickets, now even the small children have same air fair. Counting altogether thus it is same as before. A family of 4 need to gasp even to arrange for a single trip, per year.

3. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    From a business point of view, if they take up a seat they incur all the costs of having a person in that seat. So I don't see any innate reason not to charge for it, outside of promotional value to try and increase customer volume. Children are a considerable expense, that is just the way it is.

You can already get very cheap seats by having flexible plans and using apps and websites that find the cheapest possible time to book. I do not at all agree that it is "robbery" to charge for a seat that is being used and so not available to another customer.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife and I are frequent travelers and we are lucky that there are no children in the house anymore. Last year, we brought along 3 children to our trip in Bangkok, Thailand. I admit that it is very costly for the plane tickets of the 3 kids but they are not qualified for the child discount anymore. From what I know, the child fare applies only to 5 years old and below. But it would be great to have a family discount like when you travel in groups of 4 or more. That’s a good one to encourage the family to travel.

By the way, we are traveling to Japan next month, just my wife and me. We purchased the plane tickets last year for a big discount.

5. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    Indeed it is a day light robbery.I think airliners should consider this factor and instead of waiting for the negative effects from customers like boycotts,they should twist it in a direction that favours them.What if they put a policy where children below the age of 13 get exempted of paying for the air ticket?This would serve as both an incentive to the consumers.More people would be willing to travel by air with their families to various destinations.As it is the case with the buses,kids should be totally exempted.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes that's right, apart from infants you pay almost the same for a child that occupies or does not occupy a seat older than 2 years. The airlines know that a persona or family that can afford to travel by air can pay for their children too. Besides, the airlines get a very small share of the ticket's cost but most of it goes in different taxes charged by various authorities.