Airport food more expensive?

Discussion in Travel started by Mayvin • Jul 30, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been doing alot of traveling lately, but last time I was in the airport it was a few months ago and got a IHOP breakfast for about 12 bucks and to me that seemed a bit expensive, (though there was alot of food on the plate) but still.... It's been years since I've been to an IHOP and honestly can't remember the prices. Curious to know if people find food that you get at the airport more expensive or not?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Airport food is very expensive. Everyone knows after a long flight, travelers will be hungry and willing to pay a lot to kill their hunger pangs. And travelers always have lots of cash. So why not rip them off?

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh yes, it's definitely more expensive!

Everything in the airport is going to be more expensive usually. That's all the more reason to pack your own lunch and avoid having to buy fast food or restaurant food while you're traveling.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    They are definitely more expensive and we never buy any of the products from them. What we do is we hand carry foods as many as we could, as many as we are allowed to so we wouldn't have to buy when we get hungry. Since hand-carrying fluid is not allowed, water is the only thing the we buy.

5. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, you can bring as much fluids as you want onto a plane. You could bring 4 litres of coke if you wanted to. The thing is, they all have to be in 100ml bottles. So, in theory you could just take forty bottles of coke onto the plane, and they can't do anything to stop you.

6. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Everything at the airport is very expensive! I don't understand why when you will always have plenty of traffic at the airport. I remember buying a phone charger for emergency purposes. It was 40 dollars. I think they know people are a bit more desperate at the airport due to nothing else available.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That's exactly why. They know that people are going to pay for the convenience.

Most people aren't necessarily preparing their lunch in advance and bring it with them, so they know they can get away with the higher prices. People aren't going to stop on a layover and physically leave the airport to get their food either because then they'd have to go back through security, etc. They're kinda stuck, so they will either pay the prices or go without.

8. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    One of my least favorite things about airports and airlines in general is how expensive the food is. I was at Amsterdam Airport, me and my mom went to this restaurant past customs. I don't remember the name of the restaurant but I remember that the least expensive item on the menu was 17 euros (that's Euro's) KLM had some decent food available but it was expensive as well.

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, all airports or train stations tend to sell over-priced food. Take an airport for example: it's located in a rather remote location with little stores available, so no wonder you're forced to buy at inflated prices because they know you have no other alternative. Not to mention that some travelers are in between flights so they're forced to buy from the airport stores. If time and situation allows always prepare in advance for the trip by buying cheaper items at a local store.

10. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    Yes, I agree, food at airports tends to be more expensive. However, I also went to IHOP (not at an airport) recently, and the prices were MUCH higher than I remember them being. I believe my husband's breakfast of choice was around $11. I suppose it depends on what you purchased, but also what their mark up is. When my family travels we try to limit the amount of airport food we will need to consume by taking snacks with us (non of which have liquids so we can take a large amount) and buy buying only water, or asking for a cup of water which some places will give you for free. This is mainly because I can't be bothered with the small bottles and having the liquid checked at security.

11. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    No doubt that food in Airport is quiet expensive as compare to other places and i think its not good thing for the peoples who want come to tour but on the other hand food is fresh and comfortable..

12. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    yeah prices at airports are so high specially in peak seasons. so i never buy from airport. before going anywhere search a nearest possible restaurant or something where you can find something to eat.