Alarm clocks

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Oct 6, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been using alarm clocks all my life, they are cheap, reliable and get the job done, except when we forget to turn them on, like it was the case for me today... :rolleyes: Anyone still using an alarm clock to wake up or do you rely on your biological watch to do it?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using an alarm clock and my phone. I work from home so having no "real" obligations tends to keep me in bed sometimes - by having two sources of noise I make sure I'm up and running at the hour I decided for myself. And since I don't have a set in stone waking and sleeping hour I can't really rely on my biological clock. That clock only works well when you're following the same sleep patterns for a while.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use an alarm clock to wake me up because I'm almost always awake [I have insomnia, and hate it]. But since I'm self-employed, I get up when I can't lie n bed staring at the ceiling any longer which is always around 7:30 AM. I never get up later than 8:30 though. I have livestock that depends on me to feed them. Failure to do so would mean I get no milk or eggs.

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    If I relied on my biological clock, I'd never get up before noon, lol. I've always been a night owl and none of my efforts have changed what my body naturally prefers. So I do use an alarm, but I stick with ones on my phone. I don't really see the need to buy an alarm clock, too, when my phone gets the job done just as well. Plus I can have the phone charging overnight, and plug it in somewhere out of my reach so I have to actually get up out of bed to get to it...one way to drag yourself out of bed in the morning.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I could never rely on my biological alarm! I would be late every single day! I do have an alarm, but I don't use a separate alarm clock, I'll just use the alarm on my phone. Which is actually dangerous. My previous phone started to turn off by itself, and twice I was late for work because it was turned off and the alarm didn't go off. Thankfully I have a new phone now and it's not giving me any trouble!

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely need to use an alarm clock as I simply tell myself when to wake up in the morning. It never fails. But occasionally, for really important meetings, I also like to set the alarm on my phone, just to be on the safe side. In the past I had an old fashioned alarm clock that had little arms and legs and used to move around while it was ringing. Everyone around me hated it, and eventually it mysteriously disappeared.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I use my phone for the most part and it's been great. I've never used physical alarm clocks anymore because you have to set it up every time and most of my clocks can't tell the difference between 4am and 4pm so if I set my alarm to 4am it would still go off on 4pm which is annoying.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    When I have something to do, I use an alarm clock. When I don't, I get up when I get up and it feels great!

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    It's funny because I have never used an alarm clock before. My body clock works just fine. If I want to wake up at 5:30 A.M., I wake up. It's actually amazing.

10. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I usually rely on my biological clock, only because I forget to set my alarm. I find it strange that when I have something important to do in the morning and I have an alarm clock set up, I will usually wake up just minutes before the alarm sets off. I now use my phone for getting myself out of bed, it is the only reliable thing that can keep me awake. I program two alarms in case I sleep through the first one and this has saved my life. Technology is amazing, what a time to be alive!

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I used an alarm clock until a few years ago. I finally realized that I was always waking up before it went off anyway so there is no point in annoying myself with the stupid beeping. I can pretty much just decide what time I need to wake up and wake up withing 10 minutes of that time without an alarm. I do still use the alarm on my ipod if I have to do something or go somewhere very, very early in the morning and it's extremely important that I am up very early.

12. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We still do use an alarm clock, although the one we use now is on our cell phones! Times do change don't they? :) I am so used to getting up at the same time everyday I could rely on my own clock and would probably do just fine. I worry about over sleeping though. It's always a possibility and I would never want to over sleep and be late for work or have the kids miss the bus.

So for now were still relying on an alarm clock to get us up and out of bed in the morning!!

Danyel :)

13. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I use an Alarm clock when I need to, usually the one on my phone because there isn't just a regular clock in my bedroom. But when i need to get up, it's usually my biological clock that ends up waking me up anyway.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would like to second the motion. It's not that I couldn't wake up by myself. You just have to admit: most often than not your tired body is just too much for your strong mind to handle. The alarm clock helps unload the burden off your shoulder. It's just a simple sound that reminds your sleepy but fighting brain to wake up or suffer the consequences. I use it almost everyday except on weekends where I need not be bothered to wake up early. My shift starts 6:00am so I had to be up by 5:00am. Come on. That's the best situation to use an alarm clock.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use an alarm clock anymore, and I just use my phone if I need to wake up at a certain time. Come to think of if, which is louder, the phone or the alarm clock? I think it's the phone.

16. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I used to need an alarm clock all the time to get up, due to some other personal activities that kept me up all night [binge-drinking alcohol beverages], and it helped most of the time I need it. However, being more sober and older now, I wake up more often in the middle of the night and usually find my alarm clock will not go off for another two, one, or three hours from that time. However, my alarm still helps me get up, but sometimes, waking up in the middle of the night and returning back to sleep, my body goes into such a deep slumber, that I over-sleep and never hear my alarm go off-- not a good thing when I need to get up for some important event, meeting, or my job.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I use the alarm on my phone most days. So long as my phone is charged or plugged in, then I feel pretty confident that I'll wake up to it.

I don't usually use my biological clock unless it's on the weekends and I don't HAVE to be up at a specific time.

18. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am using the same type of alarm clocks since I am a kid, those small digital ones, they do nothing else but to bip bip bip, but that is effective enough for me and the plus side is that it doesn't occupy much space, what I really enjoy.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Holy internal clock Batman... for the past decade or more, I've been getting up super early without any need for clocks or crying babies or roosters lol. You could set your watch to me haha. I have come to love it though. I really love spending some time alone before everyone gets up in the morning. A chance to reconnect with myself, clear the brain and prepare for the day ahead. It's very peaceful and the perfect way to start the morning. Unless I was up super duper late.. then it's not so awesome lol

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never owned an alarm clock. I always have just relied on my phone as my alarm clock, so I never had to buy one exclusively just for telling time or waking me up. My parents always had one though but I never figured out how to operate it as it just confused me since it's mostly mechanical and there are no instructions for it. It's not that easy to test either, whereas I could just program my phone a minute later to get results and it never fails to wake me up. Not to mention I could even set my own ringtone for it which is great since I could wake up to my favorite sounds.