Aldi Giftcard Scam - Social Media

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Jessika • Mar 24, 2017.

1. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    There's a new scam going round, but this one is on social media not by email.

The scam offers a high-value voucher, normally to Aldi, and looks legit. Most people are getting it through links or banners shared on social media: What'sApp, Facebook etc. Clicking on the banner, takes users to a site that asks for personal details in order to give the user access to print the voucher. After displaying a fake voucher for printing, it then asks the user to share the offer with all their friends to get a bonus, which is what is keeping this scam spreading.

There's an article on

about it, since the scam started in 2015, but the press this morning reported a second wave of ads have just hit Facebook, so be careful.

2. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the warning.

Has it been reported to Facebook? If it was already noted as a scam, you would think they could keep it from being spread on their network again. If the press is aware of it then shouldn't FB be aware as well? Do they have a responsibility to try to protect their users?

I think I'd also report it to Aldi if I came across it. It's not fair to them and could hurt their reputation.

So many scams these days. Too bad people don't use their talents to create good things instead of trying to rip people off.

3. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    Aldia already know and their public statement is on the snopes article. Facebook know, but don't appear to have dome anything. I do agree that they should have a duty to block known scams like this on their platform. It would be easy enough to block the URL or remove it from posts and replace it with a scam flag at least.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing is Aldi never do vouchers (as far as I can remember) and people are quick to click without reading the small print. I see lots of offers of prize draws for vouchers for big name companies such as Marks and Spencer, but it's the voucher you could win, and has nothing to do with the actual company. The problem is the actual companies have a task to stop these people using their logo or name, and as they use so many platforms it's hard to curtail.

If it's not on the actual site, assume it's fake!

5. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    How do people actually keep falling for these free voucher scams. I mean, you look at most news site and there are stories about new scams trying to catch out people and informing them of how to avoid falling for these scams. If it is too good to be true then don't believe it if it's on the internet.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    There are many scams concerning vouchers and gift card circulating at the moment. I can smell some of these scams from far away. I usually ignore them if they are randomly presented to me. In many cases, to me, they appear too good to be true.

7. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Thankfully, I have not spotted this scam on facebook or whatsapp until now. However, I have seen similar scam offers in the past. I once saw an offer. It said to give $10 gift if I managed to bring 10 referrals. I shared the offer on twitter and facebook. I have 6.5 K followers on Twitter, therefore, bringing 10 referrals was not very hard for me. However, I did not receive the gift card.

8. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't actually seen this but I don't take much notice of any offers like this that I see on facebook. There is one showing a picture of an expensive pair of trainers which keeps appearing on my facebook. It says if you like and share it you will get a chance of winning them. People are getting wise to these types of scams now.

9. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I hate this kind of scams, we had here such a scam commercial from a big supermarket, they were sending commercials with vouchers in value of 1000 dollars on WhatsApp, and most of the people believed that they do offer such a voucher, but in no time people found out that the supermarket made an announcement on their page that they do not offer any voucher and they don't know who is doing this commercial on WhatsApp.
    We must be aware of these scams and always check before to offer them credit!

10. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    Anyone would certainly fall for that $100 free voucher, I would rush to get a bite on it. I would even fall for a free $5 sign-up bonus. I'm just glad I wasn't able to came across that promo or else I could have been one of those that had fallen victims to these internet schemes.