Aldi - Love Or Hate?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by janetsjunk1972 • Jan 21, 2015.

?

Do you love or hate Aldi?

1. Love

62.2%
  2. Hate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Neither

24.3%
  4. Never shopped at Aldi before.

13.5%
  1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Not sure where sll the praise gor this company is coming from. Yes, they have low prices but fir the most part they are selling inferior products. The stores are kind of run diwn and dirty and the service is mediocre at besr. I'll definitely be sticking to Whole Foods and Fresh Market as well as Ingles.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it depends entirely on which subsidiary you are shopping in?? The Aldi that I have been to and live by is always clean, though I will agree with you that the presentation of the store is not always the best, in the way that it is often very messy. I find the service to be fine other than that.

3. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't go there for a full shop but I don't mind being selective in my visits. The world is changing and shopping at cheap-priced places has become more acceptable, almost respectable. At the end of the day, it comes down to the wallet and if I can save a few pennies here and there then I'm happy.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, same parent company, and it originates in Germany. I've never actually looked at the origins of most of their dry goods. The main thing I'm usually interested in is how far they truck their produce, and I'm pleasantly surprised (often) to find it is within my state.

I'm no where near Canada, anymore, but I'm going to start looking now that you brought this up. Interesting point about the corn syrup too... definitely checking that out.

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yeah, our husehold never goes to Aldi and purchases a full shop. Our full shops are done elsewhere, such as Tesco's, Sainsbury's, Asda, and Morrison's. There are certain deals that Aldi has though, on certain foods, and we will go there and capitalize on those bulk deals.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been there much but I don't really like them. Like how others have said, they seem to have cheap products. This is coming from a person who doesn't like Goodwill or the dollar store however so I'm rather picky with grocery stores.

7. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I lost my daytime job over 7 months ago. I got an temporary online job, and I have complete Microtasks to make ends meet.
    I can no longer afford to go to Trader Joe's. Initially, I was embarrassed having to shop at Aldi's or a place like Save-A-Lot. However, those store offer great bargains at costing nearly 40% less than Trader Joe's. What's more is those stores are conventionally located just like Kroger. They costs about 20% less than Kroger.
    The only drawback is neither of those stores, Aldi or Save-A-Lot, offer free grocery bags. You must purchase a bag of bring in your own to back up your own groceries.

8. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm loving the Trader Joe's "scoop" - I had no idea they were owned by the same company! It makes me love Aldi even more. :)

Good point on the bags Allison, and I think that make Aldi even more eco-friendly. At my house, we feel like we bring home too many plastic bags anyway, so I like the idea of reusing cloth shopping bags. People could even make their own if they don't want to buy them in the store, and the bags could be fun designs then too.​

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When Aldi opened in our town, I didn't pay it much attention. I hardly ever buy my groceries in supermarkets. But admittedly, there was one time when I needed something, and it was late in the evening. Aldi was still open, and I thought I'll have a look if they had what I needed. I didn't find it, and I didn't like their product lines. So, I never returned.

10. OllyFitness

OllyFitnessNew Member

Threads:
    Aldi is great! Particularly for students, it has a negative stigma as being a 'cheap shop' but has honestly stepped up it's game in the last few years. It typically has pretty high quality food and the best prices around. I feel like people who say they would "never shop at Aldi!" are just being deliberately provocative.

They'll soon come to their senses when they're forced into student poverty! :)

11. DNdu

DNduNew Member

Threads:
    When I was growing up we went to Aldi's from time to time and I always remember it being dirty and dingy. When I first went to Aldi's as an adult, I was surprised by how much it had changed for the better. The place was cleaned up and they had better quality products. I recently moved to another state which doesn't have Aldi's and I can say I miss it. I've been to other discount grocers here but nothing compares to Aldi's.

12. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    I love Aldi but it seems to be a different story in the USA to here in the UK, more people like Aldo in the UK than do not and they have won supermarket retailer of the year for what I believe is 4 years in a row now. I always find the selection and produce both varying and high quality, there are a few items I would not buy but this would be the same should I shop in any of the "big three"

13. DukeMadThane

DukeMadThaneMember

Threads:
    I shop at Aldi all the time. I really only shop other places to get specific items. I admit I am not picky about brands, but I have never been disappointed with anything I bought at Aldi and the prices are pretty good. I have actually done some price comparisons where Aldi had a higher price, but usually their prices are quite low.

14. Peachdejour

PeachdejourMember

Threads:
    I grew up on Aldi's food. They only reason I don't shop there now is because I don't live closer and I now have a lot of food allergies and have to buy some organic specialty products that they do not carry. However, when it comes to canned good and other things that I can buy from them, their prices cannot be beat. I should make a point of making a drive out there next paycheck to stock up on some cans.

15. missfortune81

missfortune81Member

Threads:
    My first impression of Aldi was that I didn't care for it. After perusing the store for awhile and trying some of their products, I have changed my mind on that. I have never in my entire life have been able to get a huge bunch of asparagus for under $2, not even when it's in season and at the Farmer's market. That really impressed. Their cheese selection is pretty decent and super affordable. I like their version of the spreadable laughing cow cheese wedges as well as their NY x-tra sharp cheddar (only $1.50 for a block!).
    I was curious about the wine there, since I am a fan of the Trader Joe's ubiquitous 2-buck chuck, but Aldi's version was just not good. Oh well, can't have everything!

16. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I love Aldi. I shop there often and it saves me a lot of money. I don't mind the off brand products because they still taste good. They usually have good prices on milk, bread, eggs and fruit. I also love their fit and active brand they have.

17. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have it here but when I lived overseas we did and I loved it as we could find so many interesting things to eat and for half the price of everyone else. It is nice to have unusual items in the house and you just cant find them all in a normal store.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    I can't really say that I love or hate Aldi, rally. They are not the best ever. But then they aren't the worst either. A lot of their food products are of better quality than you'd initially expect for some of the prices.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm neither a fan nor a hater of Aldi. It's clean and not the worst store out there. My main problem is that when I go shopping there, I see all these brands I'm not familiar with, and I hate that I can't always get everything I need there. I always end up going to Sainsburys or Morrisons to get the rest of my stuff! The fruit and veg is also not the best :(

20. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I miss Aldi now and going through the store yesterday I noticed that there is absolutely nothing here that would be there but I did miss South African food isles while I was away and I loved going to Tesco at midnight to do my shopping when it was quiet. I guess we are never satisfied.