Aldi - Love Or Hate?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by janetsjunk1972 • Jan 21, 2015.

?

Do you love or hate Aldi?

1. Love

62.2%
  2. Hate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Neither

24.3%
  4. Never shopped at Aldi before.

13.5%
  1. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    Aldi is great in terms of value and quality produce, however they could attain even greater success if they were to invest in smartening up their stores and reducing queues.

The interior of their stores look rather dated and ooze cheapness but that's not reflected in their products which are generally very good so they need to make their stores look a bit more prestigious. They desperately need to sort out the problem of long queues at the checkouts which always seems to be an issue every time i visit Aldi. Self service checkouts would be a good start in solving this problem.

2. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    In Ireland, Aldi is pretty great! Decent quality for a super low cost price. It seems to be almost the opposite where I'm living at the moment in the Netherlands, the store looks run down, everything seems to be already opened or bashed up and it's ridiculously expensive for what you're getting.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just wish we had one closer. I don't get to go very often but would definitely shop there more if it were nearby. Everything we buy there is comparable or better in quality than what we can get at other stores. If something isn't as good, we don't buy it. The produce is always better than what is available at Walmart, and it costs less too.

I don't mind bagging my own stuff. I've never understood the "stigma."

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would shop Aldi if they have a bigger variety of products. It's right in between Super Target, which is expensive, but the most pleasant to shop in, and Walmart Supercenter, which is cheaper, but less pleasant to shop in, so I might consider shopping there if the lines weren't so long and they had a better variety of products. I don't see the point right now, because I'd have to go to Walmart for additional products, and I really prefer one-stop shopping. If Aldi moved closer to where I live, I would definitely check it out, especially for smaller trips in between my huge once a month grocery shopping. I enjoy looking at their flyers, and they have some great prices, as well as some interesting items, but it's just not enough to get me over the hump of dealing with traffic going in two different directions and still having to cope with the crowds at Walmart.

5. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I have so been meaning to get to the Aldi's in my area! I have heard that Aldi is either hit or miss, and especially different from store to store. The one in my location I have heard awesome things about, so I am excited to try it out!

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I like Aldi, and I shop here once a month to pick up everything that is cheaper than at other stores. Don't get me wrong, there are certain things that I like to buy that I can't get from here, but that doesn't mean that I would never shop there at all, because I do think that it has a lot of plus points indeed. You can certainly save a lot of money, so if you have never tried shopping there, I would fully recommend it as something to remember for your next trip.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to Aldi's in ages, only shopped there a few times to begin with. I'm the same as you...stick with brands and items I know. I haven't had great experiences there overall but it's neither a love or a hate thing. Not a strong enough opinion either way for me.

8. ThatOneDude88

ThatOneDude88New Member

Threads:
    Aldi has the best fruits and veggies, hands down! They also have the most INCREDIBLE coconut popsicles made with REAL coconut. Product of Mexico. Really fine.

9. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I went there once. I couldn't believe I had to pay a quarter just to use a cart. Since I rarely carry cash it was a miracle I even had a quarter. My impression was that they carried a lot of processed food which is basically a bunch of chemicals that people should avoid. I would probably go back now and then to prowl around for a bargain but I cannot get past having to pay for a cart.

10. Ingrid Cazala

Ingrid CazalaNew Member

Threads:
    I go there or to Lidl, which is basically another store but with more or less similar brands, quality and prices. However I tend to go for fruit and veg and also for canned food such a tinned tomatoes and crisps and such...... I am quite picky about meats and I have tried it but I just seem to think that buying meat from my local butcher is a lot nicer.

Some people have their preferences for certain things and I am of no exception!

11. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I used to love Aldi when I was younger. I remember going there with my mom as a teenager and mom spending $300 on groceries that would last us over a month. But it seems like they have changed in the last few years as far as the quantity and quality of groceries sold there.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They just started building a new Aldi close to my daughter's school. I'm kind of excited to try it because I live in an urban area so we just have Kmart and Walmart, and I don't really buy groceries at Kmart except for the Manager's Specials.
    Since I do live in an urban neighborhood, it'll be interesting to see how the thugs and tough guys react to paying for shopping carts and bringing their own bags. I foresee a lot of swearing.

13. liquidfuzzy

liquidfuzzyMember

Threads:
    I love the prices but I hate the quality. At the ones I've been to, the produce was just so funky. I'm sure they're not very good quality. I do love them for pantry items like jars and non-parishable box stuff. It's just that we don't eat that sort of thing much around here. I got an amazing piece of cheesecake from them once! I will give them that.

14. hosewalker

hosewalkerMember

Threads:
    I love Aldi, its so good for fresh fruit and produce!. There are two Aldi's in my immediate area which is extremely convenient. Aldi's canned food isn't the best but their chocolate and candy is amazing and very cheap. Overall, I love Aldi.

15. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do really love Aldi's as you never know what you are going to find there. There prices are very good for the most part and their produce and canned goods all seem to be good quality. It has the lowest prices in the area on dairy products. I love their milk cheese and yogurt. Also Rye bread is half the price their, and I love their seasonal specials. The ALdi's near me is right next to the Dollar Store so I will shop both! Aldi love!

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The Aldi's in our area are seldom ever packed or busy, which is a good thing, because I can usually get in and out of there quickly without getting stuck in some super slow lines, like I would at places such as Wal-Mart or Giant Eagle. That in itself is reason enough to shop there more often. The only reason I don't go to the one near me more frequently is because one of the cashiers there is a former co-worker of mine whom I hate, and I hate running into her.

Something else that I've learned to appreciate about stores with a more limited selection, such as Aldi or Save-A-Lot, is that they help me avoid buying stupid stuff I really don't need. When I'm shopping at really large grocery stores, it's easy for me to get caught up with all sorts of food items I really shouldn't be wasting money on.

17. MarriedGirl15

MarriedGirl15Member

Threads:
    I just start shopping at Aldi again. I stopped in the past because I was shopping at Wal-mart and I felt that I could get everything I needed with one trip. I recently stop shopping at Wal-mart because to me the prices were going up. Now that I'm shopping at Aldis again, I have to ask myself, "what was I thinking for stopping"? They have great prices, the food is fresh, the store isn't too big making it easy to get around. I have to say compared to other groceries stores that I have been to, Aldi is my favorite.

18. GettyYetty

GettyYettyNew Member

Threads:
    Have gone to Aldi in Budapest, Hungary recently - so cool and so cheap. Maybe also because their currency is not doing too well.. But the store itself left a nice impression + had its on bakery.

19. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    i love aldi it was such a great store and has interesting and unusual products that couldn't be found where we stayed. Love it

20. krystalvandross

krystalvandrossNew Member

Threads:
    I love how cheap the items are, but the Aldis by my house gives me very creepy vibes. It's also located in a shopping center, and they've situated it way in the back by a storage facility. It's so isolated to go over there and then the store itself, whe you get inside, reminds me of how stores look in movies after a zombie apocalypse or something. I wish it was more appealing to shop there, and that the products were better organized.