Aldi

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by rachel1970 • Mar 31, 2012.

1. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a recent Aldi convert!

I started shopping there regularly a few months ago. And while I am unable to get everything that I want from Aldi, and do supplement my shopping there with Tesco and Sainsbury's where necessary, for my pantry Staples I think it's great, and much, much cheaper than other supermarkets.

The stores are clean, airy, uncluttered and you can always get a space in the car park, although of late it is getting much busier. I think many others are dropping on to how good Aldi actually is.

The store wins a multitude of blind taste tests each year against 'The Big Four' supermarkets in the UK: Sainsbury's, Tesco, Morrisons and Asda. They are also regularly awarded commendations from the Good Housekeeping Institute. I figure if it's good enough for the experts at Good Housekeeping then it's good enough for me!

Aldi also does weekly specials. You can sign up to their mailing list to receive advanced notification of what offers are coming up in the next week. They tend to group promotions into specific product areas, such as camping, Diy, gardening and so on.

I haven't bought anything from there that I have been disappointed with. And they have now started selling free range chicken, which is brilliant for me as that's the only chicken I will buy - and it's HALF the price of Sainsbury's.

I really can't recommend it highly enough.

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    LIDL and Aldi are my two first choices for shopping. We have them both here in Spain, and like the stores in the UK, they are clean and airy, and the price and quality is excellent.

Another thing about these stores is the standard the staff are trained to. All the staff do everything on the shop floor, so when there's a queue, they just pull someone off to the checkouts. They zoom through your purchases quicker than you can pack them, and they never make a mistake on the bill - unlike the major supermarkets.

Like you, Rachel, I can't get everything there, but I do get as much as I can. Recent bargains include a great tasting reduced fat pate for about 80 cents, and a big bag of goji berries for 2.49 Euro. I've been after them for a while, as I'm eating an anti-inflammatory diet, but they were really expensive in other stores. Great post, thank you.

3. Kina

KinaMember

Threads:
    Yes this is a great store. Another thing about the staff is they are paid alot more than normal grocery stores employees. In the states someone working at Walmart or a local chain gets between $8 to $10 an hour. But at Aldi they pay from $15 to $18 an hour. It is because they save so much money on other things, plus each employee can run everything in the entire store.

It is a great concept.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm another Aldis shopper and absolutely love it. It's absolutely essential for me to shop there in order to buy all my basics. I do still shop at other stores, especially for produce and meat sales, or specialty items Aldi's doesn't carry. But for all my staples? I get them for half the price of other stores and it all tastes the same. <3

5. Lieutenant

LieutenantMember

Threads:
    I love Aldis especially for snack type items. The prices are so much more reasonable and granted I should cut back on the snack items I still frequent Aldis at least once a week to restock.

6. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I never would have guessed they paid that well! We have a couple of them by us. The ones by us are a bit small tho and we don't really go there often at all. My Dad loves to shop at Aldi. He stocks up for a couple months when he goes there.

7. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    For some reason I can't get on with LIDL. I don't know why...I've only tried it a couple of times and wasn't keen. But I am going to give it another whirl. With prices skyrocketing to the point of insanity, I need to try and shave a few more ££ off my grocery bills.

8. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    Their continental meat selection is also excellent.

9. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    I love Aldi's. I can fill my cart full of groceries and only spend half the cost I would anywhere else. I don't even mind bagging them myself because I actually perfer it. I can divide my groceries up in bags according to where they need to be put up in my house. It saves a lot of time. The savings are well worth me bagging my own groceries.

One thing that I have learned is to become familiar with their shipment days. For example: My local Aldi's gets their produce late Monday night. So I wait until Tuesday morning to go shopping so that I can get the freshest ingrediants. When you learn their shipment dates, you can get the a lot of items when they are the freshest. I love to use fresh ingredients when I cook, so this is important to me.

With a family of 5, three of which are growing boys, this truly is the best place for me to shop.

10. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly have not tried shopping at an Aldi's for myself. I went with my friend once, and it did not seem as though they offered enough healthy, nutritous items. A mostly fresh diet is important to my family so it is crucial that produce is in optimal condition. Meat is not an issue as we purchase meat from a local organic farm. Is Aldi's worth it if we don't really buy processed foods?

11. Jessi

Threads:
    Yes!

I don't buy processed foods either, so of course I skip over all the prepackaged stuff, just like I would in any other grocery store. I buy all my staples there, though, like peanut butter, flour, sugar, eggs, butter, cheese, etc, etc. Their produce section isn't necessarily huge, but it's usually in pretty good shape and the prices are awesome. I love how during strawberry season, I can get 2 quart containers for a buck or two, which is much, much cheaper than anywhere else. They have a nice selection of frozen produce, too, which isn't always optimal, of course, but works great to fill in the holes when some produce isn't in season.

12. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I think Aldi's frozen food section is very good, and the prices are right, which is the main thing. In summer, they do a great range of ready-prepared frozen barbecue items such as kebabs and ribs, and their fresh mince is one of the leanest - and cheapest - I've seen anywhere. And if you want a bottle of wine to go with your meal, there are some good deals there as well.

13. Germs

GermsMember

Threads:
    Cheap prices, decent quality.

Great store, i don't know why more people don't shop there.

14. Jessi

Threads:
    Hey guys, if you haven't been to Aldi's this week, you should stop by. The flyer shows them having 1lb tubs of strawberries for only a dollar and 3 lb of sweet potatoes for $1.29. It's going to vary by area some, of course, but those are great prices!

15. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I love Aldi! They used to do their make your own pizza, and Croissants, and I loved them! The stores are well laid out, and airy like you mentioned.

The produce is such good quality, and the prices cannot be beat.

Nothing but good words for Aldi!

16. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Thank you for this post. I have never heard of this page but am now anxious to try. For a new time shopper what would you guys suggest I purchase as my first item?

17. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Aldi has a very good variety of things you won't be able to find elsewhere, like snacks that you can bring to work or little treats for the kids. It also has a descent and really cheap collection of things for the bathroom that you can use to make your life easier like mini toothbrushes and toothpastes or cheap moisturizers and lotions. Some other items for the home are ok, too. Check it out if it is somewhere near you

18. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    My husband and I went into Aldi just about a month ago, and I was amazed at the prices there! I also agree that the store is very clean and it's easy to find what you need. They do have a lot of generic stuff, but you'll also occasionally come across some name brand things as well.

19. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I have only been shopping at Aldi's a couple times, but I always had an excellent experience. I love the fact that even their cashiers are required to have a college degree, which almost always allows me to have efficient and knowledgable person at the check out line. Sadly, I do not do a great deal of shopping there because they do not accept food stamps. Though I work full time I still cannot afford to do majority of the shopping out of pocket at Aldi's.

20. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Do you have a link for this? Because for some reason I keep thinking you are talking about

a place where you have to buy your own bags!