Alienwares?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Brad • Feb 28, 2014.

1. Brad

BradMember

Threads:
    I've heard reasonably good things about Alienware computers, some saying it was worth the amount of money spent and others saying it's not as good as they thought. I thinking to purchase one as I'm pretty much a computer geek, and feel I would be able to play all my Steam games on it and it would be faster to browse on it.

Would anyone recommend getting one, if so which Alienware should I get?

2. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I'd recommend probably building your own PC, it would be literally half as cheap and you'd probably get much better performance. Alienware aren't bad but the prices they slap on for what you get is just ridiculous.

3. crucider

cruciderNew Member

Threads:
    Alienware isn't really good, they aren't worth the price that you pay for them. If I were you I would build my own PC since you have more customization and you aren't limited to what Alienware (Dell) has to offer. And plus you save a boat load of money which you're able to spend on more expensive parts for your computer.

4. Brad

BradMember

Threads:
    I was thinking to do that, but I have absolutely no experience with building my own computers. I'd probably end up installing parts which would either make the computer slow, or wouldn't be the correct part.

Do you have some kind of tutorial I can follow?

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    First of all, if you don't even know answers to these very simple questions I'd highly recommend not calling yourself a computer geek. I know that for some reason geeks have become a popular thing, but just don't.

Alienware are great computers but they do costs insane amounts of money and are definitely not worth it. You can build the exact same computer yourself and save about 40%. Building one isn't that complicated... if you can't get the card to fit then turn it around. If it still doesn't fit then you are being silly and trying to put it in the wrong place. Just make sure all the parts you choose are compatible.

6. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    The build quality is very good but what can you expect from a price that is double or triple of what a normal PC costs? It's a niche market. I think only people who don't know how to mod a PC buy Alienware.

7. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    Think of it less as assembling a computer and more as adult legos, its actually pretty easy to install things, just have to be careful with some of the parts.

If you have any questions you can ask me!

8. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Building a computer is mostly plugging and screwing things in. It can be fun. The only part that might be very difficult is installing the cpu cooler in my opinion. You need to spend time doing research about parts and ask other people if your build is optimal. If you're not worried about money I don't see a problem with buying a prebuilt though.

9. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see the point in Steam Machines unless you need something that's small. The pricing is about the same as a normal prebuilt computer. It comes with Steam OS but you can download it for free and install it on any other computer if you need to. The controller is pretty interesting though.

10. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Alienware are good computers, mainly used for gaming, though perhaps a little pricey for what you're getting. It would be cheaper to build your own computer. Especially if you're looking for top range component to run a gaming or development pc.

11. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    Agreed with this 100%.

You could build a PC with the same specs for half the price minus the case and Alienware look. To be honest, most of the specs on them aren't even that good. Buying the parts separately yourself will save you a lot of money, and you'll be able to upgrade when you like.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I personally think they are just way too overpriced for me to consider them to be worth it. If you have that much extra money, though, I don't see why you shouldn't, especially now that they have much better specs and nicer looking designs. I know I would love to purchase one of their products if only I had that much extra cash, but even then I'm sure I'd at least consider other options. If you really need the portability and have the budget for it, I say go for it, but if you aren't going to be utilizing the portability aspect of it much then it may be a bit of a waste.