All-in-one Computers, Have You Ever Had One ?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Happyflowerlady • Sep 10, 2016.

1. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We mainly use our iPads for everything that we do; but we do actually have a computer for the rare occasions when we need something that the iPad can't do.
    The one we have is called an all-in-one computer, and it is kind of a hybrid between a desktop, laptop, and a tablet. Ours is a Dell XPS-18.
    We have it used as a desktop for the majority of the time, since it is an 18" screen, and a bit too large and heavy to be portable like a tablet is; but it can be used just like the ipad, since it has a touchscreen.
    We have a keyboard and mouse that we use, and it sits on a self-charging pedestal, so it is similar to a desktop (with no computer tower, everything is in the monitor). It can also stand on its own without the pedestal because it has little "flippers" that fold out to balance it, and then it can either be used with the mouse/keyboard or as a touchscreen.
    One thing that I like is that you can use any combination of mouse and touchscreen, whichever is easier; so sometimes the mouse is easier, and othertimes, I just touch the screen.
    The whole thing was about $300 new; so it is not even real expensive as computers go, and it does everything.
    You can actually use it to watch movies with like you would a tablet; but it is as large as some television screens.

2. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, and they are good for a casual use of computer (browse social media, coding, watch movies and series, play older games). But they are quite lacking when it comes of niche activities (games that require high tier hardware, 2D and 3D graphic design, CAD,etc.)

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are more of these models coming out and they are becoming cheaper. Personally though, I'm not a huge fan as I rarely use my tablet as I hate swiping. It's a necessary evil in my eyes.

They are good for watching a video or for reading a book, but not for writing for me. However, at $300 I would have one if I found a bargain.

4. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I have a friend who has one of these computers and I don'treally like it. The simple fact you're not able to modify or upgrade parts makes it quite odd and senseless in many ways. Personally, I wouldn't ever buy one of those. That's just my opinion though.

5. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure if I am ready to make that switch yet. I am still pretty comfortable switching between devices if I really need to, and the truth is is that I do not really do it all that often, so I am not sure if this is really something I need or would help me all that much. Good to know they are out there, though.

6. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    It definitely is not a thing that will help you at all, it's just about how comfortable you'd feel using an all in one PC instead of your average PC, that's all. If you don't really feel like switching, then just don't do it.

7. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    To be truthful an all in one is simple a laptop in the form factor of a desktop so anything you can do with a laptop you can do with an all in one (including upgrading components).

I have never owned an all in one but I have used macs before when I went to college

I am planning on turning my next laptop into an all in one for home use.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's what I want to get a 2 in 1 laptop though for the desktop all in one is over $1K here on Oahu, where did you get one for just $300? I'm currently looking for a business laptop 2 in 1 because I've heard that business laptops are virtually indestructible. Lol, I can spend only $250.00 though.

9. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The prices on a tablet has really come down, except for some of the big name ones, like the Apple iPad, which seem to always dominate the top of the market. Some of the newer brands of tablets are available for under $100 now, and they work quite well.
    I actually just bought one for $15 because of using the Amazon Review Trader for discounts, and it was one that normally sells for just under $100. It is a 9" tablet and included the keyboard case, making it just like a miniature laptop.
    My sister-in-law has been wanting a tablet, since she still only has her smartphone and the old laptop, and when I found this on listed as one of the review discounts, I grabbed it. She called me to thank me for the new tablet, and she said that it works perfectly, and she just loves it. It is light enough for her to easily carry around, and still large enough to be easy to read and type with.