All New Movies Suck

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Denis Hard • Jul 16, 2014.

1. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, at least most of them, hardly you see a good movie nowadays, but there are a few. Inception, The Great Gatsby or The Wolf of Wall Street would be some of them. I admit that movies have come too commercial over the last couple of years, unfortunately this is the way everything goes nowadays.

2. ducklord

ducklordMember

Threads:
    Yeap, they really, truly do suck. I've seen thousands of movies (I mean it), and I've even worked as a movie critic for some time. It's not just that "Hollywood is out of ideas" but that they're giving priority to projects (they think are) based on tried and tested formulas "that sell". Hollywood doesn't "experiment" much anymore, and the really interesting films are either little indie diamonds or simple created in other countries, outside of the Hollywood movie-cloning machine.

A really good movie is one you actually remember one month after you watched it. Do you remember The Matrix? That was a good one. Dark City? Also a good one. Inception? Gravity? Apart from those, what was ONE movie you saw during the last couple of years you can say you actually remember most of its characters, its story arc, bits and pieces of different scenes? Transformers was a giant screensaver, Marvel's movies are cookie-cutter clones of one typical superhero scenario where the characters and the odds change, but the story remains the same (Character develops - already has superpowers, a seemingly greater-than-him evil appears, he gets more powerful and with the aid of similar individuals he calls co-workers and friends manages to destroy the up-to-then-greater-than-him evil, the end)...

And of course we've also got lots and lots of great thrillers (ha-ha), where either we see "things that look scary but make no sense", like Oculus (Have you ever held a light bulb and an apple in your hand? Did they feel the same?) or The Lady In Black (BOO, a cat, BOO, a door you expected to slam, slamming, BOO, the ghost of an old lady wants to eat your soul, 'cause we all know for sure ghosts exist, we've seen them, and they're always freaky old ladies that want to eat our soul).

Why do you think the whole Internet buzzes about series like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, and more and more directors start working on their own TV shows?

3. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'd rather not generalize it but most movies that come out these days really are bad. Some are really cool though and has more depth in them but mostly are just plain terrible. I don't know why that is. Also i hate that they keep doing superhero movies which is really getting old and it seems to never end. I hope they give us something new to watch.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry OP but I don't agree with you. There are some modern movies that are worse than those in the past and there are some that are better than those in the past. If you'll revisit some old movies, you'll see that there was a lot of crap back then. As to the music, it's just a matter of preference. I think the music that you have heard during your teens to really adulthood tends to be your preference. That's why you think that "modern" music sucks. Ask a 15 year old who's acquainted with the music of One Direction or Taylor Swift. He or she would tell you that classical music sucks.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't agree at all, you just need to know where to look for a good movie. Just a few movies that come to mind recently that have come in the last 6 months are Edge of Tomorrow and Interstellar as extremely creative and entertaining movies. There's horrible movies out there certainly that are just cliches designed to sell tickets and appeal to a certain market, but one should be able to pick those movies out with ease and just avoid them.

As with any creative medium, it's a matter of your own personal taste and knowing what you like to watch.

6. Atlas_Hope

Atlas_HopeNew Member

Threads:
    Just like people who say all new video games aren't as good as the classics, it's sort of a biased and very generalized opinion that is pretty difficult to back up. Stylistically movies have changed a lot in a short period of time, namely action movies, but there are fantastic movies released every year that are heart wrenching, action packed or beautifully executed. Saying new movies these days lack originality is confusing when we've recently got Inception, Intersteller, Whiplash, Inglourious Basterds, Nightcrawler. Movies may be different than the 80's or 90's, but this is the natural progression of not just cinema but everything.

7. ducklord

ducklordMember

Threads:
    @Thejamal Edge of Tomorrow was all nice and well, but also "Groundhog Day" with aliens and guns. And Groundhog Day came more than 10 years before that. I haven't yet seen Interstellar, but reviews by both critics and audiences say it was not actually THAT... er... "stellar"..!

We're not saying that ALL new movies are bad. Just that the recycling has gotten worse and MOST new films suck compared to when you still felt some ideas were new and fresh.

I mean, Memento was one of the last truly original films I saw - I didn't like it that much, or consider it a classic, but it WAS "original". Edge of Tomorrow was, like I said, not-original-at-all (but a pretty fine action flick), Interstellar is (said to be) half 2001: A Space Odyssey and half Armageddon (but executed almost perfectly)... And here we are, putting our hopes for entertainment on the next huge superhero flick. Aaargh...

Think of it another way: look into the past and check which blockbuster won each summer. On one summer you'll find Jurassic Park. On another, Armageddon. Transformers. Ninja Turtles. Whatever.

As you move to today, what blockbusters have ruled our summers?

Transformers... THREE!

Spider-Man... TWO!

...you get my point I guess. And that's "just them blockbusters". Why do you think people have turned more to series and TV programming, and Game of Thrones is such a huge hit? Why are more people expecting its 5th season than the next Hobbit, if movies haven't gotten worse and people disinterested in them?

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess in the end it just depends on personal taste, and whether or not you can find good movies. I find that a lot of the mainstream movies that are released these days are complete and utter crap lol. Especially the rom-com category. They pump out movie after movie, and there is never anything different about one from the next. The only movie category that I enjoy from the mainstream is horror. Sometimes they get it right, and other times they completely miss the mark.

Then there are the underground movies that you never would have stumbled across has you not visited torrent sites, and whatnot. I have seen so many movies by accident, and the title looked interesting and so I gave them a watch. I have been blown away by many movies this way, and often found myself wondering why they hadn't made it to the big screen.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wonder what on earth prompted you to say what you just said. Are you referring to western movies or all the movies this world has to offer? Have you even ventured out into the realm of non-western movies? Just like how everyone saw it, you just have to know where to look. If it's just awful movies out there, the movie industry should have been dead a long time ago. I guess the rest of the population doesn't really hold the same opinion as you do. Exhaust your options and widen your horizons. You'll eventually see movies that fit your standards.

10. ducklord

ducklordMember

Threads:
    @xTinx I'm Greek. I'm not an American watching only movies produced in the good 'ole US of A, or England. How many "Ringu's" are there? How many "Mothers"? How many "Cinema Paradisos" have you watched lately? How many "2001s", "Aliens" and "Shinnings"?

Just do this test to "get it": ask your friends to tell you what happened in Psycho (by Hitchcock), or in Jaws. To talk to you about their favorite scenes and maybe mention one or two quotes. Then ask them to do the same for Argo (Oscar for Best Picture 2012). Watch them try to remember anything apart from "Affleck had a beard" :p

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no time to watch movies nowadays, because I am busy with other hobbies, but I really don't seem to notice the difference. I always think that there will always be bad movies as there will be good movies.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    Perhaps because you are so busy with your other hobbies that you just don't see or discover other/new things when you watch movies for the second or third time. But for people who are really into watching movies, or even people who consider it a hobby, seeing and discovering things on multiple watches of the same movie is just a reality of life lol. There have been so many times when I have said, 'oh, I didn't hear or see that the first time that I watched this. The movie makes a lot more sense now.'

13. ducklord

ducklordMember

Threads:
    @DreekLass I, on the other hand, almost never re-watch the same thing. It seems my memory sucks at everything apart from movies and games, and by having seen thousands of films up to now, by knowing their "common patterns" it makes it even easier to remember them as well - even some things people call "tiny details". Also, new movies feel pretty boring, since they feel like they re-use whole "chunks" from films I saw before them.

It doesn't happen _all_ the time, but I'm now at a point were, for example, when I watched the I-don't-remember-the-title-right-now "Island" whatever, from DePalma, with DiCaprio, "the one where he's trying to solve a crime in a mental asylum", I knew e-x-a-c-t-l-y what would happen at the rest of the movie during its first 5 minutes. So I slept. At the cinema. It was warm and cozy, and I had some nice popcorn on my lap to munch whenever I woke for two-three mins, basically whenever my wife nudged me "to watch the damn movie we'd paid for". When the movie ended, and I awoke, I told her what had happened - to the letter. She was stunned, but hey, that's what watching five to ten movies each and every day for ten to fifteen years does to you :-D

So, nope, I rarely re-watch the same thing. I mean, if I know what it's about before even watching something, why re-watch it afterwards? Exceptions to the rule are SOME movies, by master moviemakers like Hitchcock, "the old ones" by Ridley Scott (he's lost his way lately) and, ofcourse, anything by Python / Terry Gilliam. They use to cram layers uppon layers and details upon details in their films that you can't notice the first time around however much attention you're paying. Who, for example, looks at the knight at the background of Monty Python's Knights of the Round Table when you've got two people talking in front of them? And yet, there, in the background and the details are the funniest parts, waiting for you to discover them the second or third time around.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, astrology is quite a handful and such a broad topic, I think I only know 20% of the whole thing. So my free time is being spent reading the areas of it that interest me. Anyway, you mean appreciating a film when you have watched it the 2nd time because you already know the events leading up to it? If yes, then I agree with you, haven't you noticed the "scheming look" of the villain that you failed to notice when he isn't revealed yet?

15. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    You do have a point @Denis Hard, I've not been able to source and watch a handful of good movies for a long time, this year alone, I think about 3 good movies came out. I would recommend that you watch "Lone Survivor" though, that movie is really good! Also, I don't see why movie producers "lock" themselves into this horror or devilish theme for so many years, it gets really boring and...who can sit and watch a movie like that and really enjoy it? unless you really really have no level of "emotions" and to watch such abnormal things happen and feel nothing;that must be really special. Another good movie I would recommend is The Equalizer, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    You are into astrology? I know how broad a topic it is. There is SOOO much to learn and look into to, that it can be and feel a little overwhelming. You will find that it is all connected, and so eventually all areas of it will interest you ;) No, I just mean discovering things that you hadn't seen, heard, or noticed in the movie the first time that you had watched it. Sometimes we watch shows and movies, and we miss certain things, and it makes us a bit confused, but because we can't be bothered to rewind it lol, we will just continue to watch it, and the general picture seem to make itself apparent to us. But watching it for the second or third time, you see the things that you may have missed on the first viewing, and you have your light bulb, 'aha,' moments.

17. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that all the new movies suck. Maybe, all the new movies out right now suck, and that's for a pretty good reason. Most people go to the movies in the spring and summer months so there is naturally more movies worth seeing that come out during these months. We might get one or two good movies during the holiday season, but for the most part it's all the family friendly/holiday based stuff until around January.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, there are also asteroids, fixed stars, transits, horary, etc. But I'm concentrating on the basics. The Draconic Chart interests me too, it is said that it's the natal chart of your previous incarnation.

Anyway, yeah I guess watching movies when you already know the ending makes a huge difference, right? I never understood Inception the 1st time, but the movie didn't interest me that much to repeat it even if I totally didn't get it. And I have a DVD copy of it, lol.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    I never thought that I would meet anybody on here who would be into astrology. Most people who you talk to about astrology instantly call bullshit, but there is definitely a lot to it. As Above, So Below right? ;) Eastern astrology is also interesting, as it was said to have come before Western astrology. If we go by eastern astrology, then no one is their actual star sign, but the sign just before it. Strange right? lol. Keep doing your thing :) I loved Inception. I laughed a little bit in the cinema though, and so I missed things. But the second time I watched it I loved it even more ;)

20. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say "all" but I certainly see where you're coming from. I agree with some of the posters that with things like CGI, the quality in terms of graphics has improved. In terms of ideas, everything has now been done and you see a lot of "recycling" of ideas going on. Some are done well, some not so well. To be honest, once I've seen a movie I'm not really interested in seeing a different take on it. Especially If I really enjoyed it first time round.

Also, I agree that as we get older, our tastes change. What may have appealed to us a decade ago, may now be pants. I remember that growing up my favourite genre was horror. These days I'm hard pressed find a horror flick that scares me silly. I've even watched some which have cracked me up instead...just weird!