All New Movies Suck

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Denis Hard • Jul 16, 2014.

1. Dakotasapphire

DakotasapphireNew Member

Threads:
    I think the fact of the matter is that a lot of crappy movies have come out in the last decade, but that's because more movies are produced in the present then there ever where. More movies go through the movie theater and get put on DVD very fast than ever before. I think you haven't seen a lot of the good ones, or are just saturated with the brilliant movies made in the nineties. I would agree, a lot of excellent movies came out in the 1990s and before, but I cannot agree that there aren't any decent ones coming out now. A lot of the Pixar movies and Dreamworks Animation movies coming out recently have been extremely enjoyable for me. Several horror movies that have come out in the last decade have been just excellent. I suppose it depends on what genre you watch. The comedy/action genre has gotten saturated with movies that have an ABC plot that is based off of the same old formula.

2. ducklord

ducklordMember

Threads:
    @Lushala For this - non scary thrillers - you can also blame Hollywood :)

You see, when CGI effects got cheap, we started seeing more and more "thrillers" that utilized them to create "scary monsters". But, to our eyes, most of the time they're not "scary monsters". Our brain manages to subconsciously interpret what we see as non-real, graphics-created, and thus we don't feel actually scared by it.

That's only part of the equation though - and, in all reality, the lesser one. The biggest problem is that thrillers are almost always targeted at the teenage crowd, who prefer everything "more speedy" than grown ups, who don't have the... er... tolerance threshold to sit down and let a movie slowly sink in. And so, most movies rely on jump scares from the get go and scenarios that, trying to "be fast and show as much stuff as they can", don't do what matters most - "paint" more interesting characters, for which you'd really care for.

If you don't "care" for someone, why would you care if you "died" on-screen? Why would you feel afraid? "They're just obviously stupid teenagers that will get what they ask for" - that's not "us, adults, seeing them this way" but the way most thrillers protagonists are actually portrayed on screen. And so, we don't care, we can't get truly "frightened" and the only thing that remains is some tries to scare us for one brief second by flashing a CGI monster - or hatchet, or whatever - on screen.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will list the only movies that have stood out to me in recent years. I don't think that there are many but these are the movies that stood out to me nevertheless.

Occulus.
    The Purge.
    The Purge Anarchy, although part one was better than part two. But part two was very foretelling as far as what will happen in the world in years to come, as far as martial law and such.
    As Above, So Below.

You'll notice that they are all action/thriller/horror movies, because they are the only movies these days that seem to be worth my time.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm feeling very negative about astrology and calling it BS because a psychic randomly approached me and told me that the worst two years of my life are just beginning. Why would anyone bother to get up in the morning if the next 2 years of their life were predestined to be horrible? I'm going through problems right now, but I don't accept that they're going to last 2 years.

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    LOL, that sounds menacing as hell! I'm laughing at this crazy woman that you ran into, and not you. I don't believe that she was a real psychic at all. Also, a lot of psychics don't always know their astrology. A lot of people only look at astrology from the surface of things, expecting everybody who is the same star sign to be the same. But that is FAR from what it is about. It's very interesting and the deeper you go into it, the more it feels like magic ;) Nothing is pre-destined. If she was a real psychic, then she read your current energy, which if that doesn't change then life would be horrible for you. That is what psychics do. They read your current energy, but energy can always change ;) But whether she is a real psychic or not, she is an indicator for you to show you where your current state of being currently resides. But of course, it is up to you to decide what you do with that experience ;) I do love your signature quote though. Fall seven times, get up eight :)

6. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    I completely disagree that the quality of films are getting worse nowadays. Some remakes over the past few years may not have been as good, sure, however the general quality of films are far better in my opinion. As technology improves, we can see that reflected on the big screen with new graphic enhancements, sounds and more. Just as an example, I would say Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is better than any previous Batman films made. It was darker, more intense plot and the graphics were unparalleled. In addition, the Amazing Spiderman reboot can be considered better than the Spiderman movies of the 2000s, as these are generally agreed to have declined in quality as more were made. Many great films have been made recently, whether they be standalone or as part of a series. Interstellar was visually amazing, and the plot was also very good - a film like this could not have been possible in the past.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    I think that it just really depends on one's taste in movies. In my opinion, there has never really been a time where movies have been this spectacular thing. At least not to my knowledge? I have always encountered great movies sporadically, and over long periods of time. So it seems as though I am always having to search through a whole load of rubbish before I find one or two good movies. So I don't think that it is a case of new movies suck these days, as in the old ones didn't suck, if that makes any sense. The movies of today - as far as quality and technology - are much better than they used to be. But it is still hard to find really good movies, just as it always has been.

8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I watched a movie that was released this year, the name of the movie is "No Good Deed", needlessly to say, I was very disappointed at the plot of the movie. The entire hour was taken over by women behaving foolishly, that is, letting a stranger into a house, befriending a stranger, and doing other stupid things...fortunately, one of the women finally did something smart and killed the killer or the protagonist of the movie. This is another movie of this year that has failed to move me.

9. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    As much as it pains me to say but I have to agree with you, big time. I can't remember the last time that a new movie made me feel the same appreciation to the craft as much as the movies that came from the 80's to the early 2000's. The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Forrest Gump, The Godfather Trilogy were only some of the best that I have ever watched and I can't help but thing of the reason why we can't have great movies today. Everywhere I look, I see movies bombarded with visual effects and CGI that make my eyes hurt and make the story of the movie even more confusing. Directors and producers focus more on the CGI and the visual effects rather than the actors and the story itself which I believe is the reason why the quality of movies over the past decade has dropped considerably. :(

10. ducklord

ducklordMember

Threads:
    @ACSAPA That reminds me of "Drag me to Hell"! Not an awesome movie, for my taste, but a good and funny one.

@Webene @DreekLass Guys, look what you're talking about! You're using words like "spectacular", "effects", "technology". Movies are not about "how good they look" - they're not supermodels. Yeah, "looks" are part of their charm, but the best thing is supposed to be the fact that "they tell stories". Just like those @thenextGeek mentioned. What you think "makes a great movie" is the same thing that, lo and behold, "makes a spectacular game". Movies use so many effects these days, and have such "thin" scenarios, they're only one click above what gaming has to offer! I mean, heck, Heavy Rain on the PS3 was almost like watching a real movie! As a bonus, it had a better scenario than most "cop thrillers" out there today!

As for how a truly spectacular movie looks, forget Avengers, Spider-Man and the rest of bad-CGI-ridden flicks you watch today. Watch Blade Runner. While watching, repeat to yourself: "this was made more than 30 years ago". Again. And again. Its "effects quality" hasn't dropped a bit. And that's not because it used practical effects but because it had a great director and an awesome team of visionaries to help with the "image" it presented. The same applies to Alien. The first one. And Odyssey 2001. It's almost 40 years since we saw it, and it's up there, on par with last years Gravity as far as space realism goes!

And you know what's the strangest of things? All those flicks have a proper story to tell.

I should also add that I may sound like a fanatic, and I truly don't want to "attack" someone or impose my views on him. I'm just a huge, HUGE cinema buff, 37 years old, and feeling really bad that I can't find ONE new movie to fully captivate me like older ones did. It's not a matter of age. It's a matter of "Avatar was Dances with Wolves with Blue Aliens", of "every disaster movie is a virtual clone of JAWS - up to the `the protagonist knew beforehand and informed everyone of the impeding doom, but oooh-no, they didn't listen to him' part" (noticed from Dante's Peak to last years Godzilla)... It just feels like there's nothing really good and truly new, lately, apart from the occasional exception like Inception.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    LOL. I don't usually care how movies look. It just has to look decent, unlike with new video games. With newer video games, I expect them to look better than the last. Same goes for game consoles. Movies have just sort of improved with the years, as far as HD and quality, and special effects. And I like for things to look believable, but they don't have to look spectacular. For me it truly is all about the story, and whether a movie can get into my head or not. Psychological horror movies seem to be the only moves that can do that these days, and good ones are few and far between.

12. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    On the movie front, I don't entirely agree as I've been impressed by the ground breaking efforts in movie making, both in terms of technology but also in terms of subject matter. But I would agree that the amount of remakes, reboots and sequels is annoying and not very healthy in general. In terms of TV, it has definitely improved a lot. That's partly because a lot more money has been pumped into the industry, allowing more movie directors and movie actors to try out TV. This new dynamic has certainly changed things.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I only know those "Year Of The Ox" thing, I guess I should look into that too. I also post in astrology forums, so movies and tv have really taken a backseat! I downloaded The Conjuring last March and I only watched it partially yesterday, lol. But Dreek, do you think that the future is not pre-destined? Because for me it's 50-50. Since if you take a look at your natal chart, it accurately describes your traits, life circumstances, problems and even hints on how you will die. A psychic told me how I will die in this lifetime, and what do you know? My charts suggest the vulnerable body parts, the psychic just pointed out the exact disease. I'm already feeling non-serious discomfort in that area, and I was told that as I age it will get worse, so free will and early lifestyle change can prevent it. Have you tried calculating your chart?

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you nailed it here, Dakota. There are still some good movies out there. There is also a good bit of saturation in specific genre.

We're seeing so many re-makes these days, it sometimes feels as if there is nothing original any more. It takes some digging to unearth the really good stuff at times.

I too prefer older movies and shows, for many reasons, such as not having "done to death" plots, not having so much gore, etc. It can be hard to find something good that isn't the same old formula, but then again, sometimes the formula works. Add great, well-developed characters, terrific dialogue, sets, costumes, cast, etc. and the remakes can sometimes be better than the original.

I think this is another reason to have a service like Netflix. There are few things I want to watch badly enough to pay full price when they're new. I can wait until they're available online for the most part.

#54Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  15. DreekLass

Threads:
    I watched The Conjuring a while back, and for as much as they had hyped it up, it didn't do anything special for me. I have seen underground horror movies that knock The Conjuring all the way out of the ball park, and they didn't make it to the big screen sadly!! As far as your question about life being pre-destined, how long have you got? Lol!! From my understanding, we choose certain circumstances before we incarnate into these physical bodies; ethnicity, location, sexual orientation, certain personality traits, and parents. As far as how navigating life goes, I feel like the planetary alignments do have bearings on the overall energy of the Earth, and we can either use those energies for progress or not. But free will certainly exists as far as how we manage our own energy and how we go about manifesting the things that we experience ;) Oh my God, that is so interesting!!! I have never calculated my chart, but it does sound like something that I will do in the near future. These charts almost sound like a peek into the Akashic Records :)

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still have an hour left to watch in The Conjuring, so I will tell you what I think about it when I'm done. I'm not easily scared at all, so as expected, it's just "ayt" with me so far, since I love the genre. Oh I will elaborate the astrology details via PM, I only asked about how I will die, next time I will ask when lol. I think I will die when I reach middle age or beyond based on what was said, since it will happen as the body deteriorates. So once the discomfort gets worse, then THIS IT IT! Lol. I'm sure you will be very interested once you find out that how you're living now is in fact destined. Even interactions with others, (through the synastry and composite chart) life mission (north node and yod) it can consume your time. Then when you do the natal chart of other people and you see that it's accurate, you will think, "Oh. So that's why they're like that." I remember you don't like your mom's bf? I'm pretty sure your synastry and composite chart with him has some bad "aspects", and your sis and you will be a good chart.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hahaha, when you have to split watching a movie up like that, it's obvious that it sucks lmao!!! Sidney, I am not joking - if you would like to watch a horror movie that will actually scare you, watch Occulus!!!! I cannot endorse that movie enough. That movie is so psychologically deep that it is amazing. I couldn't smoke outside in my back garden at night time, for like a week after watching Occulus. I loved it!!! :D I get along with my mother's boyfriend better these days. But he and I will never be one another's kind of people. One of my psychic/medium friends did tell me that he and I choose to be in one another's lives prior to incarnating, because we both had things to learn from one another, unfortunately lol. I have recently met someone though, and I would like to know how that is going to turn out lol. She's amazing! But like with anything else that is amazing, the whole experience definitely has its shadow sides. You are incredibly brave, asking about how you will die. I wouldn't want to know, though I have always said that I am not going to live into old age - that I just cannot see or feel it.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe, during that time I was feeling sleepy already, the other time I can't hear the low voices speaking through my headphones because the tv was on. So I stopped watching it. For sure I will watch Occulus, as always I'll go to my torrent sites to download it. I hope it's on there! Well, you got to know her birthplace and birthtime too for the most accurate chart reading, hopefully you have good aspects. I now also tend to avoid people with nasty chart placements, since that's a warning sign! The friends that I had a rift with always has some negative synastry and composite with me.

19. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    ...The lovely bones! the worst movie of all time. Although this movie is not a new movie, I really had to post about it, to show that not only new movies are shabby, but old movie are too! This movie made no sense, this movie annoyed me, and this movie's plot was the worst that I have ever seen. I don't hate the movie, I just really didn't like it,and that is, the plot! the movie obviously isn't a cheap one. But, it obviously should have placed more emphasis on the plot, instead of the two main characters.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    I wouldn't use torrent sites, not only because the ISP's (Internet Service Providers) are all blocking the biggest most popular torrent sites these days. But also because they can track your torrent use and fine you. If you ever want to watch a TV episode or a movie or something, then just type the name of the movie or TV show episode into google and type in Vodlocker after it. You'll usually be able to watch a streaming copy of the movie. Good quality too. You can even download the movie from Vodlocker if you have the Firefox downloadhelper extension. The birth time and birth place thing is tricky. I don't know if she even knows. Hell, I do not know what time I was born or the details surrounding it. This person that I speak of was adopted also, so it may be trickier with her.