All savings for my dog!

Discussion in Pets started by Konstantina • Apr 19, 2012.

1. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has tips on saving for all the dog things. I buy the best dog food available and take him to the vet every time he should go, but other than that everything seems so expensive for me. For example, I only have some toys friends brought me and I use a stick and take him to parks to play. Does anyone know any dog accessories stores where I can get cheap collars and other accessories? Thanks

2. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    Do you have a Tractor Supply in your area? I buy most of my pet supplies there and find that I save quite a bit of money. I also purchased a wellness plan for my dog from our local PetSmart. They have a full service vet office in the back called Banfield. They let you purchase a wellness plan monthly that covers all the shots your dog needs and two office visits per year. I love that it is broken up into monthly payments, and I save quite a bit of money on the services they provide. I've been happy with the way they treat my dog, but that could vary from store to store.

3. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't actually, too bad, is it cheap? I will ask for the program you say though, maybe they have something like that and just don't promote it. Thanks.

4. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    Some PetSmarts offer the clinic, some don't. I guess we are just lucky ours does. You can always ask and find out! I drive about 20 minutes away to get to ours, so maybe there is another one that is in your area that does have it. Or you can look into pet insurance too. It works in a similar way, but can be used at more vets.

5. cashorcheck

cashorcheckNew Member

Threads:
    My best toys are an indestructible Lacrosse ball and a big huge thick cotton rope. The ball is hard rubber and has a great bounce and I haven't found a dog that can compromise the integrity, and it fits in the Chuck-It. I picked up the rope nearly twenty years ago and made sure it had a hefty knot on each end to avoid fraying; since then I will tie old socks to it along the length to give the dogs something to work on. The rope is great for throwing, tug of war between dogs and/or owners. Both stand up to the elements and anything else. They are the only two items I have needed for the six dogs I've had.

6. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed that some of the dog toys that are a little pricier seem to last a long time, so I feel like I'm actually saving money by not having to replace them often. My two favorites are Nylabone and Kong because I have two big dogs that are powerful chewers, and very hard on toys. Nylabone will eventually wear down a little after A LOT of chewing, but it will take even the most powerful chewer a long time to actually wear down the whole thing. Neither of my dogs have been able to destroy a Kong - they are made out of really strong rubber. I think both of these brands are available in stores like Walmart where they might cost a little less than specialty pet food stores, which really mark up items like toys.

7. Jailynnsgrandma

JailynnsgrandmaMember

Threads:
    I agree with the Kong being a great toy. My two dogs rip apart most toys in a minute. We have had the Kong for a couple of years and it is still fine. It is worth it to buy this, as it will last long and the dogs love it.

8. GrandmaHugme

GrandmaHugmeMember

Threads:
    Since my dog likes to run in the field, I decided to buy a flashing collar so I can see him at dusk. It's not the cheapest item but if he should go near a road, I'm pretty sure a vehicle would see him and I like that idea a lot. To see what I mean go to:

9. Amcotts

AmcottsNew Member

Threads:
    Hi, I'm back and I believe on nature and natural things. I'm not sure about it but its a reality. Do you really
    think that these accessories and appliances are mandatory for dogs? Well, I make my dog run, hunt, swim and
    eat a lot. Then he makes himself busy in exercise. He is really an ideal pup. I love it.

#9Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  10. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    If you Goggle and compare prices you'll be able to find some websites that sell dog toys and accessories for a lot cheaper than prices at pet stores. I've also found that Tractor Supply stores, other feed stores and Dollar Stores have good prices on dog toys and accessories. I've gotten really nice bowls, leashes, collars and toys at my local Dollar Store.

Nylabones, kongs, bullysticks and deer antlers are great chew toys that can be found at most stores and websites. Avoid rawhide because it can be a choking hazard.

Toys are very important, I think. When you're at work or away from home your dog needs to have something to do to keep his mind busy. I believe mental enrichment is just as important as exercise.

11. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    In our area, Banfield also is the contractor that provides veterinary services at PetSmart. Their items, especially with their sales, are often quite good. They are also the best place to get a lot of the basics: collars and leashes.

I've had great luck with Dog.com, with their variety, prices, sales, and shipping. Worth a look! Most times the shipping is flat rate 9.95, and sometimes their sales include shipping. I also swear by the Kong and Nylabone products, having raised Pit Bulls for years - but you don't have to buy them often! The Greenies are one great treat if your dog is not a gobbler - they are to be chewed up, not chunked and swallowed, which is what the Pits will do! My little Bostons mostly chew up the Greenies. But all of them like a piece of rawhide now and then (I just make sure it's not from a country that uses nasty chemicals to process them).

Dog.com also has sister sites, Cat.com and Horse.com, that have great deals, too. Been using them for years, and very happy with the prices, sales, and speed of delivery.