Alternative Energy.....more Talk And Less Action

Discussion in Utilities started by explorerx7 • Jun 20, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have always wondered why hasn't there been effort to exploit sources of alternative energy. Each time oil prices reach alarming levels, there is this noise on how we should be seeking to exploit alternative energy sources thus decreasing the dependency on Fossil fuels, however, as soon as the prices get back down to seemingly acceptable levels. The issue of alternative energy is once again put on the back burner. Is it that as some people believe that the large oil producing conglomerates is having a hand in the lukewarm promotion of alternative energy production? It may not be a far-fetched notion because if alternative energy should be exploited on a large scale it would really hurt their revenues. It's time enough for greater emphasis to be placed on the exploitation of alternative because it would be better for the well-being of humanity.

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There are well established cartels that work with government functionaries to keep them in the safety zone of what is tried and tested. The problem with renewable energy also has to do with the way most machines are configured to use fossil fuels and changing this would require a substantial capital outlay. There is also the issue of renewable energy advocates being less vocal and aggressive in terms of policy and marketing as well as publicity compared to their counterparts dealing with fossil fuels.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    According to some people who claim they know what's going on, it's many of these oil companies which are actually investing in alternative energy. If that's true, it's them who'll decide when it's the right time to decrease dependency on fossil fuels. I suppose that is when oil isn't that profitable anymore.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As I had posted in another thread, my husband had checked the efficiency of the solar panel that is sold cheap in a Chinese electronics store. For $100, that solar panel can give you 1kva of electricity that can run a computer and an electric fan plus a light and with extra power left. But the question is for how long does that 1,000 watts of power would last? There is no assurance that you can have that 24/7. And what if that electricity would last for only an hour a day?

I agree with the title of this thread that the alternative power is just a hype. We have this feeling that the governments are trying to fool us with the clean energy of solar and wind power but they are not really cost effective in truth.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I would be willing to try solar power if I could get the panels cheaply. It would seem to be an ideal solution however, the panels are not cheap to install at least here, and they might pay for themselves but it would take years not months. I would like to see free or no cost solar panels. That would be something that people would eat up like hotcakes.

6. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    You could probably say more talk less action for a lot of the issues that we are facing as a country and a society, and a people, but certainly alternative energy is one that is very frustrating, for a lot of different reasons. I think that we all see the potential, and the need for it, but yet the political will to really get it started and off the ground is lacking. We need a change, but I am not sure where it will come from.