Alternative to Dropbox?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by isabbbela • Nov 5, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I need your help! When I got my Samsung Galaxy S3, they apparently have an agreement with Dropbox and I got 48GB free!!! However, now my Galaxy broke and I got an iPhone, and now Dropbox is telling me my free promo will expire in 60 days because I no longer have my Galaxy. I'm a bit worried because I have a total of 53GB on Dropbox and it's almost all full!! I don't know what I'll do now, because paying for Dropbox is really expensive per month and I would really like a free cloud service where I had a bunch of space to put pictures and videos that I could store safely. My iPhone is only 8GB and has no space for anything! So I need a reliable place to put stuff that I can easily synchronize between my phone, iPad and computer and easily access whenever I need to.

If you are familiar to Dropbox, please please help me! Do you know similar cloud systems I can use like it that are free, have more than a couple GB of space and are safe?

2. tjmsrubegoldberg

tjmsrubegoldbergNew Member

Threads:

, and

are some popular alternatives to Dropbox. None of these sites will individually offer 53 GB of space for free, but you could potentially split your files up among them if you want to back all of them up.

I've used Google Drive myself to back up some important files. I think you get 15 GB with a free account, but I have 25 GB due to some promotion a while ago that I don't quite remember. It has programs and apps for the major desktop and mobile operating systems as far as I know, and there's also the website itself. While I haven't used the others, I'm sure they all have similar options.

3. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    Exactly what tjms said. There really aren't many alternatives because Dropbox takes up so much of the market share, but Google Drive and OneDrive are ones that I use quite frequently as well. Whenever I have a group collaborative project, my group uses Google Drive as it allows more than one person to edit it at the same. It also has a chatroom for each document that you can use to discuss with your peers before making changes. I use OneDrive with Word 2013 (it's kind of necessary) because Microsoft has integrated Microsoft accounts with Office. However, it's a pretty good program just for personal cloud storage as you're able to save documents and access them on another computer without having to e-mail it to yourself or drag it somewhere else after saving.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The only other cloud service that comes close to that size being given away for free is Mega but unfortunately they aren't as integrated as Dropbox is. Also it will probably take some time to transfer those files because you'd have to download and upload it, as far as I know. I think it's a worthy alternative though since it at least seems dependable and they also claim to be the most secure one out of all other options due to the fact that they are unable to view the contents of your own drive.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OneDrive is one of the best cloud storage alternatives to DropBox, although you're going to have to pay for that extra storage space. Virtually no cloud storage service is going to give you 50+ GB of space for free. I do currently have 120 GB from Google Drive for free, but I took advantage of a promotion, and those aren't always available, as you've experienced yourself.

6. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    My alternative to Dropbox is Google Drive. They give you a ton of space and it integrates quite well with Android phones like your S3. It comes with some neat features and a nice interface. Hope it works out for you:

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Aside from Dropbox, the only other cloud service i'm using is Google Drive. It's a really great service and easy to manage. I think Google Drive is one of the most popular cloud service around. You should give it a shot, you won't regret it. :p

8. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I sfill use to store my files on dropbox but after I can't access thel all in an instant wherever that is why having an external drive is way much better.

if all your files are just images, why don't you just upload them to soe file sharing site but dn't share the link so no one wil ever download them. This i guess will save some file, 4shared.com allows 15gb for free as far as i know.