Alternative Utensils

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Apr 11, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've started to dislike eating with silver spoons nowadays and now gravitate towards just using plastic spoons or wooden chopsticks when I'm at a restaurant and even sometimes when I'm at home. It's a weird quirk I've recently picked up and admittedly it's partly because I'm a bit paranoid about the cleanliness of utensils at restaurants so I'd much rather just use something new and disposable. I've now stocked up on plastic spoon and forks at home too just so I could eliminate some parts of cleaning too.

Do you guys like using disposable utensils? Do you have any alternate methods?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No, I definitely don't.

I do understand being concerned about cleanliness in a restaurant, but realistically, they're usually run through a dishwasher that uses such hot water that it would kill everything.

I much prefer the feel of real silverware, though, so I especially wouldn't use disposables at home. And I think it's a huge waste of money to keep the plastic ones all the time, too...

3. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    The only reason I'll use plastic utensils is if I'm at a party and it's what they're using. On rare occasion if we're having takeout and I'm too tired for dishes, we'll also use disposables. But, at restaurants tthey go through a process to wash them. And even still if it looks spotty which is rare, I'll hold on to it, ask for a replacement and when I get it, I give the spotted one.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nah, only real/traditional utensils for me. I don't really care to learn how to eat with chopsticks, and I hate plastic and wooden utensils. I also almost never eat out, so, I don't have to worry about cleanliness or anything like that.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's rare to see actual silver spoons these days, but whatever they're made of I prefer a real utensil to plastic most times. I can deal with plastic if that's what's available, but it wouldn't be my choice. Maybe on a picnic I might choose plastic. Then again, maybe not. I don't choose plastic when camping.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the things I find extremely unpleasant is eating off of wooden utensils, especially wooden spoons that are brand new and not worn down yet, so the surface texture is still rough. If I go to lick frosting or batter off of one of these, it gives me the chills - it's worse than someone scraping their nails across a chalk board. Even cheap chop sticks will cause this as well for me.

Unfortunately, when it comes to dining out, you are somewhat right about the utensils not always being that clean. Your chain restaurants do have industrial cleaning equipment which is powerful, but when they are slammed, even that equipment doesn't quite cut it. I've seen silverware and plates come out with food and other crap still stuck to them - sometimes the dishwasher will put them through another cycle, but other times if a server needs some utensils asap, they may just quickly wipe them off with whatever dirty rags or towels are near hand.

Another thing that may gross you out, is some restaurants actually run their rubber floor mats through the dishwashers at night as part of their cleaning. I've seen this done at TGI Fridays when I worked there, they rolled them into a tube and pushed them through the dishwasher to get all the squashed good and gunk out of them.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that buying plastic utensils would cost you more money in the first place. If I were you, I would just buy a stainless spoon and fork and just wash them after every use. I don't mind using plastic or wooden utensils when I eat outside.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I'm not bothered by the cleanliness of regular utensils in a restaurant. It's not even something I think about, to be honest. If I've decided that the restaurant is decent enough for me to eat in, then I'm made up. Otherwise I just wouldn't eat there PERIOD. If I had any doubts at all, utensils would be the least of my worries, I'd be more concerned about the food itself.

I hate plastic utensils, anyway, and can't use chopsticks to save my life LOL

9. iCupiPlate

iCupiPlateNew Member

Threads:
    Well, it would really made us think if the flatwares in restaurant is clean, and important that we are sure what goes in your mouth. Personally, It doesn't bother me whether it's a silverware or a plastic. But I know something that would also assure your utensils, plates and cups. It's called the iCup and iPlate and IFork. You can just slide your cup under the plate and insert the utensils beside the lining of the plate to hold everything together. Hand free way to hold your food and your sure your utensils and drink don't get germs or bugs. It's more convenient to use during occasions and parties.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    No, not a fan. It hurts the environment AND my wallet. That's a double no-no.