Alternatives to air conditioning ?

Discussion in Heating started by donaldplozha • Jul 10, 2012.

1. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    Can someone enlighten me ?

2. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Not so much an alternative to an air conditioner and not as effective, but it's able to clean the air in your home. It's a plant called the "Areca Palm," which is able to filter out air toxins in the home including formaldahyde and xylene; found in paint and plasterboard.

3. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have airconditioning in our home, although with our summers becoming hotter each year we might have to install one soon. Normally I keep the blinds or curtains as well as the windows closed during the day time till the late afternoon when I will open everything up again. We have ceiling fans in our home as well which is on continually when we are at home.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    We can't have air conditioning installed, as both my husband and myself have breathing problems, and air conditioning makes it worse. We have ceiling fans in all tje rooms, which we keep switched on all day. We also have a couple of column fans, which we position wherever they're needed. I make sure all the doors and windows are open as well, to take advantage of any through breezes. It works pretty well for us.

5. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    Uhm... A fan maybe? :)
    I've been using it when it's really hot and it works. Although it needs to be the right size, if you've got a huge room the fan has to be bigger than the one for small place.

6. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    Fans and ceiling fans in each room to move the air around. You could try the recirculate on your furnace if you have one. Keep the windows closed and keep the drapes or blinds closed all day long until the sun goes down. I have noticed a huge difference in temperature in my house by keeping all of the blinds etc closed during the day.

It works conversely in the winter. Open everything up to let the sun warm your house up and save the furnace running.

7. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    So, a fan is what everyone is advising. But wouldn't a fan just move the hot air around ? :s

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    A fan seems to work in some conditions...possibly circulating the hot air that rises out of the room or something, I don't know...I have other things to worry about. But I do find that a fan does not work in humid and hot places like Bangkok, Seoul etc...it just seems to circulate the warm air and gives one very little assistance/comfort. But in more dry air conditions like that you find in Africa etc...it really works. Just my experience.

9. rcking09

rcking09New Member

Threads:
    Big window fans used to work pretty well in keeping my house cool. Before I had an air conditioner I used to have 5 of them in various windows of my home and they delivered a similar effect to that of a air conditioner. Only downside was is the noise they produce was almost unbearable for the first few days.

10. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    A fan cold help. An exhaust fan I think is better than those electric fans but of coarse an air conditioner is way better than those. But since you are just asking for alternative then I think that would help. Also you can adjust your home to have some ventilation from outside.

11. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    Fans would be a great alternative to air conditioning. We own at least two fans right now. A small one and a big one. We use the small one when it's not yet too hot to handle. But when the temperature skyrockets into hotter levels then that is where we unleash the power of our electric fans.

12. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    We used to ( and still ) use fans to keep ourselves cool in the summer. The main thing is to keep all the cool air in and close off all the curtains/windows. If you're feeling really cheap, try getting a plastic spray bottle and fill it up with some water. Then spray a bit on yourself and have your fan blow air on you. It certainly cools you down without dousing you in water. My family only uses air conditioning for extreme cases when it gets insanely hot.

13. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    The fans are not going to cool your house down, but will cool you down. You can also use your directional switch on the fan itself. You want the heat to go up in the summer and down in the winter. Try a google search to be sure that you have yours going in the right direction.

14. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Wait is there an alternative to air conditioning? I don't think there is much of an alternative in the state of Arizona to be honest. But one of the ways that we lower the usage of the air conditioner is using ceiling fans which help circulate the air.

15. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    Outside of owning a conventional fan, I don't think there is an alternative to air conditioning. Air condition for the most part is one of those things that simply can't be substituted for.

16. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    In the summer, we have to use air conditioning. We live in such a humid climate. However, we do like to turn off the A/C during the early spring and late fall months to help save money. During this time, we have every ceiling fan on and a small window fan. This helps to create air movement cooling off the house. Plus when our windows are open, there is a great crossbreeze.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a friend in Las Vegas who uses a swamp cooler. It's awesome. It will cool off a two-story house in minutes. It's huge though. It can be an eyesore, but it works wonders.

18. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    The best alternatives to air conditioners that I can think of are standing and ceiling fans. If you get very large standing fans and use them alongside a ceiling fan, they can be just as effective as an air conditioner.

19. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    If you can add awnings at the west and south facing windows, you can lessen the solar heat gain in a room by up to 70%. It does not have to be costly. Make a D.I.Y. one by tacking up sheets outside the windows and then draping the ends over a chair or railing. If that is not an option you can also buy and install energy-saving window films on your west and east facing windows. These mirror like films will help keep you cool during hot sunny days. Combine these tips with a ceiling or stand fan and you'll be able to cool your room better.

20. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    We do not have air-conditioning in our home, either. My home use electric fans too cool the heat inside the house. We open the door and windows if it is windy. We also keep the blinds and curtains closed to prevent the sun beams penetrating into our house. We eat lost of salad and drink a lot of cool water to keep our body cool.