Alternatives to expensive kerosene

Discussion in Heating started by artifactsofmars • Jun 26, 2012.

1. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    I use kerosene heaters mostly to heat my house, and because of the cost of kerosene, they have been quite expensive. Back before 2000, I could get 20 gallons for 20 dollars. Now it is 5 gallons for 20 dollars.
    Does anyone know of cheap alternatives that would work in a heater or furnace that is designed for kerosene? I was thinking along the lines of waste cooking oil, though I would not know how you could convert it for use. You are only supposed to use k-1 kerosene in those heaters.

2. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    Oh.. Wow.. I hadn't really thought about an alternative fuel for a kerosene heater. I used one for the first couple of years after I bought my house because the only heat it has is baseboard heat. The first electric bill I got was way too high for what heat they put out so I switched to the kerosene heater. I had to do away with that as well because I am really sensitive to the fumes it can put off. I would have to take it outside when I wanted to shut it off or the fumes would give me some killer headaches. I use small space heaters now, which isn't ideal but work fairly well.

I don't know of any alternative fuel for you heaters. I did find this link to a site where someone else asked the same question. Maybe it will help you. Good Luck!

3. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    Yes I have done internet searches and never found any alternatives. I would bet that ordinary cooking oil if it was thin enough could be used though your house would likely smell like french fries all the winter long. Some restaurants will allow you to take it as long as you don't make a mess.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    One of the alternatives in kerosene is the gathering of wood and dry leaves. I know it is not healthy in our environment but you can do it during emergencies. With the use of these wood and dry leaves you may not required to use gas but instead you can use magnifying glass. :) It is very helpful especially when there is black-out to your area. Try it! :)

5. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The best alternative to kerosene in my area is briquettes. There are lumps of fuel made from compacted or compressed organic materials like paper, cowdung or coffee husks and burn for long periods of time. They are smokeless and emit a substantial amount of heat for long periods of time. They are cheap to make and are mostly made from organic waste.

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    From my knowledge and experience, kerosene is absolutely expensive. It is used to power aeroplanes. But I have discovered a simple formula. Kerosene can be mixed with cooking oil to lengthen its usage. I come from the tropics where energy is a contingency. Really. I have also discovered that methylated spirit can do the job. Just pour it into a lamp and see the difference! You can also use what is called an insulating basket to keep hot things going hot. It is made of a black surface and lined with a variety of materials and cotton wool on the inside.