Aluminum Wallets

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by kana_marie • Apr 17, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I both ordered one of those aluminum wallets you see in the commercials. We had both had issues with our regular wallets and thought these would be the perfect solution. They have as hard of a shell as they advertise... Which is great! They both, however, broke at the latch. It isn't very water proof when you can't close it. I had to put rubber bands on it to keep them closed, but that ended up being more trouble than it was worth. I'm sure other people have had wonderful experiences with it. This is just what happened to the two I bought.

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Is that the wallet that is supposed to be more secure for your credit cards and personal information? If it is, my husband just ordered one. He's been using it for about 2 weeks and so far seems very happy with it. He hasn't mentioned anything about the latch feeling weak or unstable, but he likes how streamlined the wallet it...much nicer than the big bulky leather one he used to carry. I'm sorry yours broke; have you tried contacting the seller or manufacturer to see if you can exchange it?

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was just mentioning these to someone who had never heard of them. This is the type that is supposed to secure your financial information from card scanners, I believe? I might consider getting one, since I'm about ready to replace my wallet, but I'll have to look around, because I need something appropriately girly :p. Are there pretty versions available? Can y'all tell me how lightweight the wallets are, compared to the average wallet? I usually use a tri-fold style wallet, with a kiss lock change purse, although I assume this style wouldn't have the kiss lock :(.

4. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm really glad it's working for your husband! It's the one that will protect everything if it gets ran over by a car. That's what I remember from the commercials, lol. Ours broke very early on so of his is still okay it makes me think it was maybe a bad batch that ours came out of. It's a shame, though. If it weren't for the latch it would have been a great wallet. I already have to order a new as card since I washed mine one time too many, haha.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's the first time I have ever heard of such a wallet. What are they supposed to be good for?
    And how big are they? I wonder what they feel like in a back pocket?
    I am very security conscious when it comes to my money and bank cards. I always wear a body belt under my clothes. But then I live in a very dangerous country.

6. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    Dora, it's better because your cards have chips in them that can be scanned. Someone with a scanner can pick up information from your card simply by being close to it. You've seen the "fast pay" swipe options at the gas station most likely, you just swipe the card in front of the meter to pay. We'll, these wallets stop your card from being able to be swiped that easily by accident.

Someone standing in line behind you might actually be scanning your wallet without you knowing. Nobody knows for sure if these devices work to protect you but they are peace of mind and can't hurt, so to speak.

7. ReadWriteLearnLove

Threads:
    Dora, it's great for those who carry their wallets in their back pocket. Because of the way it's built, it hold a lot of cards but is very thin. It opens like an accordion file. There's not much room for cash, but you can fit several credit/debit cards and IDs in it. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be to sit on since it's hard, but, my husband hasn't complained at all. The leather wallet he used to carry got so thick that the chiropractor told him it would affect his hips if he always kept it in his back pocket when he was sitting. That's the first thing the chiropractors he's seen have always asked him: how big is your wallet and where do you carry it?

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm just going to put on my tinfoil hat and keep all my cards inside it, haha. Kidding, because I'm frequently accused of being a conspiracy theorist when it comes to stuff like this. Funny how I said these fast pay cards would become a scammer's dream... apparently I was right. :p

In all seriousness, this does sound like a pretty interesting item, if the quality is up to par.

If the latches broke right away, it seems like you would have a good argument for being able to return them, Kana_Marie.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @kana_marie@kana_marie, get them sent back! The chances are you'll be sent replacements. Oh BTW, have you had your replacement coffee maker yet?

10. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Im waiting for some kind of voucher in the mail. But at least something is getting done. I am so horrible about getting stuff done. Everyday i decide to do it tomorrow... Those tomorrow's start to add up after a while. Next thing you know they're asking me why I waited 5 years to send it back.

11. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen this type of wallet on TV and plan on getting one. Too bad you and your husband's both broke. Before I buy one I'm going to do some research so that I can see which of these types of wallets has the best reviews so that I can make sure I'm getting one that is worth the money that I have to pay for it.

12. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    ReadWriteLearnLove and missbishi have me convinced I should send it back and try again. I really wanted the wallet when i saw it on TV. And it is the perfect size for what I need it for. I can't seem to stop washing my wallets and I'm sure you know how big of a deal that can be.

13. ReadWriteLearnLove

Threads:
    Kana_marie, my husband ordered his off of Amazon, if that helps you out any. He seems to be very pleased with it still. In fact, just last night we were talking outside with our neighbors and he pulled it out just to show them how cool it is. I hope they'll give you a refund so you can avoid any further hassle.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen those aluminum wallets in Ebay, and it made me wonder why someone would make an aluminum credit card holder when it looks easy to be squished and dented inside the pocket. Now I know why. I would buy it just for the heck of it when I have spare money.

15. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen counterfeiting versions of those aluminum wallets sold for cheap at some local stores, so I thought the fragile they look was just because these are replicas, but I'm seeing the originals seem to be as fragile as these.

One way or another, while they look appealing, remember that your bank advises not to expose your cards to hot or metallic surfaces that may damage the magnetic band. An aluminium wallet can be easily heated up with the body warm or a sunny day, besides aluminium is a metal, right?

16. Peachdejour

PeachdejourMember

Threads:
    My mom and my Dan have used theirs for a year or so and seem to be fairly satisfied. I was skimmed twice. Once out and about in town and once when I was at the hospital getting physical therapy last year. They do sell RFID purses and wallets too, but they are not cheap. These aluminum wallets do work. I don't see your body heat heating up the wallet enough to hurt your cards. We've done worse to the cards any time we go out and sit in the sun.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, these sound fantastic, and I've never heard of them before! I wonder if they make any funky, girlie ones LOL? Crime's getting more and more sophisticated with time! I never even knew people could scan your card details without your knowledge, while in your purse/wallet. That's just crazy. I'll have to look into these aluminium wallets, that's for sure. Anything to stop these criminals in their tracks :)

18. ttirb

ttirbNew Member

Threads:
    My husband just got one at a yardsale for $2.00. I think it's alright quality, personally I wouldn't use it or pay full price for it but for $2.00 it's well worth it. I think it's a good size too.

19. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ha @Lushlala@Lushlala this is exactly what I was wondering. I'm all about safety and being cautious, but it has to look good, as well. I like my wallets to be beautiful colors, and somewhat blingy. I usually like really soft leather ones, and a really pretty, good quality wallet is something I will spend a little money on. I'll have to look around to see if there are any ones that fit my criteria available. I wonder if any of the designers are building protective devices into their leather wallets?

#19Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
  20. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane , we're girlie girls and really if they want to corner the market they also need to cater for us hehe. I wouldn't want to be seen carrying just a plain one, I want a fancy, girlie one. -as girlie as possible, funky too :)

#20Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015