Always check Craigslist

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Dr23 • Jun 25, 2012.

1. Dr23

Dr23Member

Threads:
    This might seem obvious to most of us, but it's amazing how many people forget about Craigslist when it comes to stocking up on movies or video games. In my experience, I've found several items I've wanted on Craigslist for a significantly lower price than what it might be selling for in stores or on eBay. In this economy, you can't balk at savings.

If you're ambitious, you'll also find enough deals worth taking that you can then turn and sell on eBay for a nice profit. The people selling on Craigslist seem to rarely check the comparable price on eBay. Buy a movie for $3, sell it for $10. Simple. Of course, Craigslist buying does come with the risk/inconvenience of meeting random people but this isn't an issue if you agree on a public setting.

Does anyone else stock their eBay Store or shop for good deals through Craigslist? What have your experiences been?

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have an eBay store, but I do resell a lot of items I buy from Craigslist on eBay. You're right I always check Craigslist for deals, and sometimes if I'm lucky I'll find a bundle DVD and Blu-ray deal. Those are my favorite because I can split the items up, and sell them individually. I ask the seller what condition the merchandise is in because if it's too damaged I can't sell it. I recently got a deal on movies it was for 30 Blu-ray movies for $60. At $2 a piece you can't go wrong with that, and I plan on making a profit when I resell them on eBay.

3. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMildMember

Threads:
    I've been burned a couple of times buying through craigslist, and here in my city, there was actually a woman who attempted to buy a washer/dryer through craigslist and was jumped and beaten and robbed once she arrived to pay for and pick up her appliances. The 'human factor' is just way too prevalent when trying to purchase things in this way. People will sell items that are defective or glorify the ad but ad-libbing things that aren't true to make a product seem better, and it's VERY difficult to get reimbursed for purchases made through craigslist. I usually avoid it unless there's a really good deal to where if I DO lose money, it's not a huge amount.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have definitely stocked up on stuff from Ebay before and re-sold some of it. I've not had much luck with Craigslist, but that's mostly because I'm in a smaller area that doesn't use it that much.

5. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I just plain don't trust this site enough to deal with them. There are far too many horror stories and incidents on top of which you kind of deal at your own risk. Generally it's not worth it so I just avoid them if I can.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I had never thought of using Craigslist to find deals on movies before. I am a little hesitant to deal with Craigslist because of the BS that you have to deal with on it. I have found some really good deals in pawn shops on movies and video games before. We have one pawn shop that will even allow you to return it if it doesn't work, so most of the time I deal with them.

7. Dr23

Dr23Member

Threads:
    There is definitely some risk to using Craigslist. No doubt about it. However, if you browse sensibly you typically can avoid any strange occurrences. I typically browse there as a way to find bulk sales (60 movies, $2 each) or to find local garage sales where I might also be able to score similar deals.

It's amazingly simple to find a bulk lot of DVDs or CDs priced quite low and then sell them with a considerable markup. You may even find a gem. One lot I bought had a very rare DVD in great condition. The total lot of 40 movies cost me $60. I sold that one DVD for $70. Granted this is the exception, not the rule, but it still adds an aspect of intrigue to the process.

8. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    I honestly can't really put myself into trying out Craigslist. There's so many ways it can go wrong, and I'd much rather do something more reputable.

9. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    Craigslist is a gold mine of treasures, both for movies, games, etc. to just about anything else you can imagine. I ALWAYS check Craigslist before heading out to buy anything. I have also taught my kids to check Craigslist for the items they want before spending their hard earned cash on retail buys. Craigslist is the bomb.

10. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Cool share, thanks. I am one of those people who have forgotten about good ol Craigslist. It really is an awesome site if navigated and used well. I last used it about 5 years ago though so I am not sure about how it is now. I will head over and check it out. Thank you so much for the very real reminder.

11. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    To be honest, Craig's List sellers usually try to rip you off by selling an item for higher than it's worth. For example, I saw a White Heat DVD selling for $8 when it was half that on Amazon. Check anything on there, especially furniture, and compare it elsewhere. You're better off buying something at a company or brand new!