Amazon Echo

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Nov 15, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    amazon-echo-400x400.

[video=youtube_share;KkOCeAtKHIc]http://youtu.be/KkOCeAtKHIc[/video]

Amazon has been coming up with a lot of their own products lately like smartphones and even micro game consoles and now they have come up with a gadget that serves as a sort of digital butler. It supposedly uses the cloud to constantly update and find information and you basically just ask it questions and it speaks out the answers to you in return, and from this commercial I think it can work with your amazon tablets and phones as well.

I'm not totally sold on it yet though. I still think talking out loud is a bit more effort than pressing buttons, but that's just me. How about you guys, do you see yourselves with a gadget like this in your house?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    It certainly looks like an interesting concept. If it offers the same value for money, and utility, as the Kindle, I could see this becoming the next big thing. The largest issue I have would be voice recognition, even Siri is still having troubles, I doubt that voice recognition technology can be perfected for at least a few more years to come.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is a wonderful technology that many people would enjoy using including me. I believe that people are always on a lookout for new technologies and this can be just one of it. I think it can be really amazing.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon Echo has the potential to be a very useful consumer device, although it probably doesn't come with the best possible features right out of the box. I'm assuming Amazon will provide OTA updates to the device just like smartphone companies do for their devices. Having a voice assistant in the room is pretty useful, depending upon exactly what Echo is capable of achieving.

5. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    The idea behind Amazon's Echo is amazing. Great little personal assistant for simple tasks.

I am in favor of any electronic device capable of improving the experience of human existence. This small device shows good potential for this purpose. Just because writing is more convenient than talking to me, it doesn't mean others will not find it super-convenient.

The promotional video was pretty good by the way, but to be honest I prefer independent reviews. Here is one:

I really could see myself having an Echo at home.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, you should check out the spoof video of that teaser video if you can find it on YouTube. It's pretty clever. Amazon Echo is a useful device, but it's more than likely not worth $100 considering it lacks some big features and really doesn't do anything that Google Now or Siri or Cortana couldn't do from your phone. It's definitely convenient to have the service available throughout an entire room without lifting your phone, but that's the only advantage.