Amazon Has Raised Free Shipping Minimum

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Feb 23, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To get free shipping on Amazon you'll have to spend more than $35. They are apparently trying to get more people to sign up for Amazon Prime. Non-Prime members will now have to spend $49 to get free shipping.

For those who buy books though they'll still be getting free shipping should they spend $25.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for informing us about this, because I had no idea that they were doing this. You mentioned dollars above, so I am assuming that the same is going to apply for the UK version of the website too, which was already a little steep as far as the free shipping minimum, in my opinion. I usually just pay the shipping or opt for products that are shipped free.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    More profits, and to encourage higher value carts I expect. I guess most people in the US have Prime or know someone who does, and in the US the benefits are better than the UK. I guess free shipping is something that you 'pay' for somehow. I still prefer to pay more for something if they offer free shipping, as it's the total cost that matters.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh this 35 dollar shipping thing on Amazon has been around for at least a year. I was disconcerted when they raised their free shipping, as I tend to buy on their often, and it is much easier to put together 25 dollars worth of items than 35 dollars. However, I have noticed that some of the items if bought singularily have free shipping..of course these are mostly high dollar items.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing, @Denis Hard :) I don't really use Amazon for shopping because most of the sellers don't ship to my neck of the woods. But to be fair, $35 isn't a lot to spend if you're looking to get free shipping. If I could shop on Amazon, I wouldn't mind paying it each time I placed an order, as opposed to tying myself down to the Amazon Prime service, which I find to be very pricey. Well, unless you do a lot of shopping on Amazon and watch a lot of the movies and programs.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, the original $35.00 wasn't too bad, but I'm not that happy about the increase to $49.00. It's pretty easy to spend 35, but I don't always want to spend 50. I don't always make 50 bucks within a few days with my online earnings, so I guess I'll shop there less rather than more. They won't push me to spend more (can't spend what you don't have) or to buy into their Prime program with this.

I mean, I get it. Businesses are there to make money. I'm just not so sure this will have the affect they were hoping for (it won't with me, but then again, a lot of people spend a lot more than I do).

Thanks for the info @Denis Hard@Denis Hard

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently went to amazon and there it was the free shipping increase from $35 to $49! Thanks for sharing about it. I like the free shipping they had at $35. Guess free shipping anywhere is great anyway. I like amazon too for they got things I need. Got to live with the increase of free shipping.

8. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    I'm very, very pleased with our Amazon easy-click ebook shopping. Lately, I've been buying from "Free Books for History/Biographies/Letters and Essays Lovers" book for only $1.05 ! And with it, I can have access to volumes and volumes of history books for our school library! It''s so superb to be able to have those great books at my fingertips and save money for incredibly indispensable treasure of information!

I'm over the moon with this saving money for incredibly volumes of books!

9. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of paying for shipping ever. Amazon's increase in the minimum for free shipping will definitely cause me to think twice about where I spend my money when shopping online. I will be more likely to shop elsewhere if better shipping deals are available. I will also be more likely to consider shopping online at stores that offer free in-store pick up for online purchases, such as Walmart.