Amazon May Put Walmart Out Of Business

Discussion in Online Shopping started by butterfly1 • May 12, 2015.

1. butterfly1

butterfly1Member

Threads:
    Amazon is building facilities all over the US. They are planning to make 1-day delivery available for all of their products. And, another good thing is that they are working on a grocery sector to be added. I have been waiting on a way to order groceries online and have them delivered to my door. And, the best part about it is that you will save big on shipping. I cannot wait until this operation is complete. I do not like Walmart. I hate grocery shopping at times. Especially with little kids and wifely duties it gets annoying. I cannot wait until they has it all out. Move over Walmart.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I can already groceries to be delivered to me. My local grocery stores already offer it with a delivery charge. And I sometimes order them from Amazon, too, although not with one-day delivery currently.

I can't see this putting Walmart out of business, though.

3. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    Nope not gonna happen. Walmart is the biggest retailer on the planet. They didn't get that way by being careless or clueless. Walmart will adjust to anything the market throws at them.

4. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    I doubt Amazon is going to put Walmart out of business any time soon. Even with Amazon growing to new sectors, Walmart still has a greater level of experience, and a much larger sphere of influence. They are very well established with a huge cash flow and reserve. Walmart's going to have to make several serious mistakes, or Amazon make several crazy breakthroughs, for Walmart to be put out of business. Even then, I think something will spin off of Walmart.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon is internet based and Walmart uses both retail and internet. The fact is many people don't use the internet for shopping because they don't trust it, are older and don't use it or people don't have access to it. Walmart, while some of its ethics are questionable serves a percentage of the community and I have to say when I couldn't find a certain item, it was the place I could find it at a cheap price.

I doubt Walmart will go out of business. but their ethics could do with an upgrade.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I stand behind the common idea of things: Nope. No, sorry. There's no way. If Amazon could compete price wise we wouldn't even be having this discussion but in certain atmospheres Amazon is not willing to set up shop in ghettos in food deserts & so on. Not to mention in Whole Foods atmospheres. They appeal to people not willing to go in search of things & have them delivered at a certain price.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, I don't see Amazon winning this fight against Walmart. Walmart is massive and we se it everywhere in the world. You would never think we have it's in Africa, but we have a huge store called Game, and it's a Walmart store. I don't see Amazon extending far beyond American shores. -and let's face it, Amazon isn't always budget friendly. If anything you may see Walmart upping their game on the back of this, to safeguard their business.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good riddance. We all know how scummy Walmart's practices are... Although, I guess Amazon isn't much better.. But still. One awful company less in the world can be actually seen as a good thing, can it not?:)

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, they probably won't put Walmart out of business. Walmart got to where they are by being horrible.. that won't stop. If you don't mind squashing people, you can always rise higher. That said.. Amazon isn't much better from what I've read about their practices. Scary the people that run the show these days..

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anyone that thinks Amazon can take down Walmart within even the next decade knows nothing about either company. Amazon's actual shipping services lose the company millions of dollars every quarter, and Walmart is an actually profitable company. Walmart's the largest employer in the world, largest company by various financial metrics, and the biggest grocer/department store in the United States.

Yeah, Amazon's really going to put Walmart out of business. /s

11. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I am really curious about the terms used here. What do you mean by "scummy" practices of Walmart? And why do you think Amazon isn't any better? I don't have any emotional investment in either one of these companies, so I'm not trying to be argumentative. :D I'm just curious.

12. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Neither Amazon or Walmart are in danger from each other. They are completely different companies. While Amazon has good deals on books and other products, I prefer to purchase my groceries in person, especially fresh items like produce. I don't live in a remote place so far away from a store that it's an inconvenience to shop.

Besides, Dollar General Market, Sav-A-Lot and the other discount stores are so cheap, no one is going to bypass going to them and getting groceries the same day just to pay to have them delivered some time in the future.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I also suspect that Walmart isn't going out of business any time soon. Remember if Amzon can improve it's business so can Walmart. It wouldn't be impossible for them to offer 1 day delivery, making amazon no better off. people also would take quite a while to adopt to a potential Amazon grocery service.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree Amazon is a different type of store that will appeal to different people. I have not started to ordering food from the store or online. I will soon as I do not like to go to the grocery store, I am out of everything when I do go so ordering online would be nice.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Walmart pays their employees horribly and many Walmart employees are on food stamps, which they then spend at Walmart. So taxpayers are feeding Walmart employees as opposed to Walmart paying them a living wage, which they deserve for their hard work. Also, those $5 t shirts with the glitter are made in sweatshops. Also Walmart throws away a lot of perfectly good unsold stuff that could feed a lot of hungry people.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon might be expanding and building stores all over the country because they want to cut down on shipping costs. It's not Walmart they want to compete against. Their purpose probably is to gain more business online. If they sell their products at lower prices and what they are selling can be delivered in 1 day, who'll want to buy from other online stores and wait for a week to get the stuff they bought?

But the developments ought to delight consumers. It's us who'll benefit as the prices get slashed to lure us in . . .

17. butterfly1

butterfly1Member

Threads:
    Giants do fall. I used to work for walmart as a teenager and it was terrible. When you continue to treat people unfairly it will come back to bite you. Maybe Amazon will not replace walmart but they are loosing market share of their customers.

It is ashame how most people think that just because they were on top means that they will always be. People have protested to keep walmart out of their neighborhoods. But toche.

18. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Wow really? I wonder if they will also expand to Canada as well, that is a great thing for sure! Definitely Wal Mart will be in big trouble because Amazon has some great pricing and 1 day shipping is a great advantage. Though I personally wouldn't order groceries online because I enjoy handpicking them myself at the store.

19. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    No, Amazon will not put Wal-Mart out of business. Amazom has actually been strugglimg recently while Wal-Mart continues to expand. I think the future is still bright for Amazon but I dont see any company ending Wal-Marts reign of supremacy when it comes to retail.

20. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    If all things are equal, and I get to choose where to spend my money, I'll go with Amazon every time. Knowing that I can have the product at my door in one day is huge for me! I work at home, and quite honestly, I'm not always motivated to clean myself up to head to the store for one item. I put it off for a couple of days if I have to go to WalMart. With Amazon getting the product to me in one day makes life simpler, and I save tons on gas!