Amazon Prime Day?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Penny • Jul 15, 2015.

1. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    So tomorrow is Amazon Prime day and there are meant to be Black-Friday-beating discounts if you have Prime or try a free trial.

What are the odds of there actually being some really good deals? I would rate it about 50/50. On one hand there is some stuff I would like to see discounted, but I bet it will be all about TVs and Kindles which doesn't really interest me.

On the other hand the Walmart counter-sale might help me get a good deal on some boring household Staples like some storage shelves.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Prime day should be a busy day for a lot of merchants. I am not looking for anything right now so I don't think I will be taking advantage of the sale day also I am not a member of Prime. I have not looked at what Walmart has planned for tomorrow, I would like some linen but I am not ready to purchase yet.

3. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    So far the deals haven't been all that fabulous, but I did make a purchase. As a marathon runner, I use a lot of the energy gel packs. I was able to get a 12 pack for about 1.40 per pack, which is less than buying in the store by an average of .20 per pack. So far, the rest of the stuff hasn't been too awe-inspiring. Apparently walmart has stated they are running a great sale too, in response to Amazon's big sale, but I haven't checked it out yet.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had thought Walmart was offering free shipping for the day, but it was only free if you spent $35 (as opposed to their usual free if over $50 deal), and I didn't have that much money to spend.

Did anyone take advantage of the sales, and get great deals? I saw some decent prices at Walmart on electronics, but when I looked on Amazon in the afternoon/evening, they apparently had limits on the number of items at the lower prices, and most, if not all of them had already been claimed.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've received a notification about this but to be honest, I'm not very excited about it as money's a little tight and I also don't need anything specifically at this time. I'm going to try to avoid looking, in case I get tempted LOL

6. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    This ended up being a huge bust for most people, sadly. I managed to get myself a set of resistance bands I had been eyeing for a while, but the price wasn't much of a deal since I had seen it that low before. I wasn't interested in anything else offered, but hopefully some people got good deals out of it.

7. Lushlala

Threads:
    Wow, that's a bummer! But why go all out to market the event when it was really "much ado about nothing" LOL? I'm glad I didn't waste my time checking what they had on, even though I was very tempted.

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I read that many people were disappointed in the types of products on sale, and that I wasn't the only one who checked on the sale, and was too late to claim any of the deals. Actually, I didn't have the money to buy much anyway, but I like to look at electronics when they're on special, and dream. I didn't even feel any envy at what I saw, so it's just as well I wasn't planning to shop there.

9. Lushlala

Threads:
    I too like to look at the electronics, in case they have killer offers. But this time I really didn't want to torture myself as I don't have the money to spend LOL But I have seen a lot of comments saying that the offers weren't mind blowing! Also, I thought it would be the whole day?! Well Diane, it looks like we didn't miss out on much :)

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have a Prime account and there is always small print everywhere. I found I only got free shipping on certain items and I didn't save that much, but used it for the movies and shared the account with a friend so they could watch things.

I thought it would be all hype as they plugged it for so long. Summer is always quiet and there are too many 'black' events now, so people are skeptical and don't just jump in and buy. I still think waiting for end of line clearances are better value and there is no pressure to click and buy.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that the deals were anywhere near as good as they were hyped to be. In fact, the day in general caused me all manner of issues, because I tried to sign up for my free trial of Amazon Prime, but it took money from my bank account for it when it shouldn't have done - so then I had to go through the process of emailing them to get the money back, which only took two days in total, but I could still have done without it, for sure!

12. GeeCee

GeeCeeMember

Threads:
    You're right about the deals not being that good, but other than that, the idea was to get more people into Prime. Whether that worked or not, we may never know. I've had Prime for the last two years, and I love it. I have a 50-pound bag of dog food delivered to my door every two weeks by the US Postal service, and it happens for free, thanks to my Prime account. For me, the shipping alone makes Prime worth the money.