Amazon vs. other online retail?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Pawski • Oct 30, 2013.

1. Pawski

PawskiNew Member

Threads:
    Hey,

Recently I have noticed most my friends/peers use Amazon for just about everything. I wanted to see whether or not other people out there LOVE, HATE, or are indifferent to using Amazon.com?

Any stories or opinions would be great!

2. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I love Amazon. I usually buy all of my books off there. I have bought other things, too, but mainly books. Usually I can find anything I'm looking for and even have the option to buy it used if it's available. Honestly, there's no where else online that I shop at as much.

3. UshaBecker

UshaBeckerMember

Threads:
    Amazon is absolutely the best of all.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't used Amazon yet, but since all of the sellers that I saw there don't offer free international shipping, then I would prefer to shop somewhere else, like Ebay or other online retail stores.

5. CoachV

CoachVNew Member

Threads:
    Put me in the LOVE category for Amazon.com. Gift cards for this site have become the thing I ask for a gift. The app on my iPad is easy to use and it is great for finding deals on all sorts of items. I live overseas and have been surprised at how many items ship to Europe, so that has not been an issue. A great company!

6. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I love Amazon!!! You can practically anything on there. They have fabulous customer service. Most things have free shipping. And I get amazon gift cards from swagbucks, so I obviously use them there. I think Amazon is wonderful!!

7. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon is pretty amazing, just a bit of a pain that they don't accept PayPal (Fair enough since eBay/PayPal is a competitor for them) and because there are so many different sellers you don't get everything shipped at once, it can all turn up at different times.

8. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy using Amazon as well, for various reasons. Although the only online retailer that competes with Amazon is eBay. Ebay is better in my opinion, because of all the great deals you are bond to get when using eBay. Although Amazon is not bad itself either, I just prefer eBay, because of all it is worth.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's just the easiest online store to interact and they offer quite a few promotions to make it worth shopping there. I have a kindle and it is incredibly easy to order books directly onto the kindle. Also, promotions like "amazon prime" give free 2 day shipping and access to all sorts of free movies and tv shows. I believe you have to be in school in order to qualify for it though.

Another positive is I think has the best "comment" section of reviewing products. The comments are generally very on-point about the product and users give an honest assessment of the product

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't trust the reviews/comments I read on Amazon because if they acknowledge that fake reviews and false comments are made [by someone who hasn't even bought a product] then that's happening on a much larger scale than they admit.

Anyway, for me, the prices of most of the stuff that's sold on Amazon is damn too high. That's why I make my purchases on E-bay or elsewhere. . .

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are loads of fake review on Amazon, it's hard to know which reviews you can actually trust and this doesn't give the buyer any confidence. I know for a fact that there are traders on Amazon who are paying for reviews as I have seen it with my own eyes. I don't shop at Amazon very often because this puts me off.

12. Pawski

PawskiNew Member

Threads:
    I completely agree! I know Paypal is partners with eBay (or owned by the same company) and eBay is a competitor of Amazon - so obviously it would never happen, but I often enjoy paying with Paypal as much as possible and would love it if they would add it too :p

13. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly use it for books only but my experience has been mostly positive. Ebay occasionally gives you better deals but Amazon has an air of legitimacy and reliability about it that is simply unmatched. You can mark me down as a supporter.

#13Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I think that Amazon is one of the most complete online stores that you can look at, but I find pretty hard the navigation inside your personal control panel to find out how to order and then to find information that you may need such as if your purchase qualify for free shipping, or simply to make changes to your personal information in case you need to change your address or deliver your purchase to a different address.

At least it's really hard to me that specific clients area inside Amazon.

15. LALucien

LALucienNew Member

Threads:
    You know what, its funny. I really like Amazon. I not only have an account with them but, also a premium account so I get free next day delivery on everthing and I have an affiliate account with them, plus I use kindle to buy a ton of books for my phone and tablet.
    However, (and here's the funny bit) I only ever use Amazon to buy something when I can't find it on Ebay!

I'm telling you, if I think of getting something the 1st place I go is Ebay. If (very rarely) I can't find what I want or (even rarer) the price is too much on Ebay, I then resort to Amazon to see if they have it in or at a better price, which in all honesty, they never really do.

I do like the quality of the Amazon service and have never had a problem with them directly or any of their market sellers.

Hope that helps ;)

16. Exsheel

ExsheelNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, when it comes to shopping for things online, I usually use Newegg, seeing as most of my purchases are related to Electronics or computer parts. However, for I LOVE Amazon when it comes to SELLING items. They've helped me with bad purchases from other people and are usually very prompt. I've heard some people getting seriously screwed over by selling things on Amazon, but it's yet to happen to me. Like I said though, when it comes to actually shopping online, Newegg will be my first choice 99% of the time.

17. dazzlingblue

dazzlingblueMember

Threads:
    I LOVE Amazon. I am a huge fan of their subscribe-and-save system, which, in addition to saving me money on the actual items, I end up saving money by not going to the stores for those items and then ending up buying random things that I see in the aisles. I do benefit from not having to pay sales tax when I buy from them.

I've had items come damaged, but they're fast to take care of any incidents like that.

18. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    I absolutely love Amazon. It's cheap, and it has pretty much everything you need. Their packaging is decent and they're extremely fast delivering things.
    I've never had a bad experience buying from Amazon.

19. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    Amazon has always been my number one online spot to shop. I love that everything on there is pretty reasonable and it all seems to get delivered rather quickly. I just ordered a couple X-mas presents on there last night and actually bought the lap top I am using on there! The best part for me is in my state there is no tax added! This especially is nice when purchasing more expensive things like my computer. I had one bad experience on Amazon though. I ordered my son two books that I knew he really would like for his b-day from the same seller and only ended up getting one in the mail. But, even though I was bummed not to get both books, I e-mailed the seller and he refunded me right away even though there was a chance I could still get the other book. It worked out in the end and I will still shop at Amazon for most everything.

20. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I have sold things on Amazon for a few years. I haven't sold much, do you think that ebay is better for selling things than Amazon? I have no Idea why i never thought to sell on Ebay.