American Express prepaid card

Discussion in Credit Cards started by dconklin • Apr 11, 2013.

1. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of actual credit cards and I admit that I got myself into a little trouble with them in the past. No I didn't run up thousands in debt, but I guess I picked the wrong cards that cost me more and still damaged my credit. So now that I refuse to get a real credit card I started opening my mind up to the idea of prepaid cards. I feel they are safe to use (nobody can run your card up) and you won't owe a dime at the end of the month since the money has to be on the card in order to use it.

I have tried a couple cards but like the American Express Serve card. There are no monthly fees to have it, no fees to use it and no fees through them to load it (unless you use a credit card to fund it.) No interest added onto your account as you will not be holding a balance due. If you choose Money Pak to load it, you do have to pay the Money Pak fee to put money on tho. But most prepaid cards require you to have so many purchases to prevent monthly fees and Serve does not do this. I have had one for 6 months now and have not paid one fee - even on months I have not used it and had a very low balance :)

If you hear about the Serve card and are wondering if it is good, it is great! And it is accepted everywhere that American Express is accepted.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I understand not wanting to use credit cards, but doesn't a regular debit card connected to your checking account serve the same purpose? I guess a prepaid card would be a good option for someone who can't get a bank account.
    I went through a time for several years where I couldn't get a bank account, but that was so long ago that most of the current prepaid cards didn't exist.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a prepaid American Express card, but I don't think it's the Serve card. I got it at Target. There are no fees except to load money on the card. I can easily load money on the card in the store. The cost to add money is $3. I use it to shop online and to pay my cell phone bill.

I will have to check out the American Express Serve card.