An Apple A Day

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Mar 20, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually I eat at least one Apple a day and coincidence or not when I don't eat it my stomach feels a little funny, like if missing that good habit. What do you say, an apple a day does keep the doctor away or is that just a way to speak?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    This is so funny you posted this. We just had a student from the university over for lunch who doesn't speak out native language fluently (English) so we were helping her to study for her exams. We served apples for dessert and explained this little saying. She loved but of course had never heard of it before. It prompted me to do some research and I found out that it is originally an old Welsh Proverb. They are rich in antioxidants and fiber. Depending on where you live, apples can be cheap and plentiful. They are rich in vitamen C and B without having some of the acid effects of other fruit. The sugar content isn't too high as in some fruits that are better eaten in halves. And there is just something about Apple juice when you have a cold or flu, or hot apple cider on a chilly fall day, and lastly lets not forget the taste of warm apply pie with a dollop of ice-cream. Yes! Call me Annie Apple Seed...I think an apple a day WILL keep the Dr. away. ;-)

3. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    After reading the two posts, I want to eat more apples. I did do that for about a year. It was like ten years ago, I ate an apple for lunch five days of the week, so it wasn't exactly everyday. I remember how the crunch and texture helped relax me. My husband has ate an apple and banana everyday for lunch at work since I've known him and he has a history of being so much more healthier then me. My son had been drinking apple juice currently and so I started to drink it too. It satisfies the sweet bug in my mouth. It is interesting to hear where the saying originated from.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, great post there H.C.! Actually this is a relatively new habit for me. In the middle of the morning I felt like eating something, so I started to bring an apple to work and I eat it at 10-11AM, it really satisfies me until lunch time. :)

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apples do contain necessary vitamins and nutrients such as vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C, E and K. Apples are also a great source of potassium, just like bananas. Other nutrients found in apples are calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, manganese, iron, zinc, copper and sodium. In addition, apples contain folate, niacin and pantothenic acid. No wonder daily consumption of apples prevents you from seeing the doctor.

6. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    As part of your five a day fruit and vegetable diet it's fine. And apples certainly very healthy. But it's not something you should just have by itself on a daily basis. It can be quite acidic.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Sure, I am not saying that onionman, we need to have a balanced diet. What I can see from the people I work with is that they eat cookies or cakes in the middle of the morning, but with a piece of fruit they would be better off.

8. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I also heard that an apple a day also keeps the dentist away (well technically a dentist is also a doctor but...). According to besthealthmag.ca "An apple won’t replace your toothbrush, but biting and chewing an apple stimulates the production of saliva in your mouth, reducing tooth decay by lowering the levels of bacteria."

An apple a day was also recommended by my doctor to help lower my blood pressure. He said that apples are rich in potassium that can help lower my BP - apples and other fruits or veggies that easily gets darker in color when opened (like bananas and eggplant). :)

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree apples are very healthy and nutritious, but I don't eat them nearly as much as I should. Instead, I have a banana almost daily. Like Onionman said, apples can be quite acidic, and I had a bit of a problem with them and grapes at one point. I was eating a lot of them, and this didn't agree with my tummy, and I read somewhere that bananas were probably the better option for me. I will still eat acidic fruit, but not daily.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is widely known that apples are very nutritious, so no wonder that saying was invented. Apple is not my favorite fruit, but I won't mind eating one at times. Because I remember the times we have apple over here and I wasn't keen to eat it. In fact, come to think of it, I never ate them, lol.

11. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Apples are something that I always used to eat only if they were cooked. Baked, preferably, in a shallow pan with a lot of sugar and a flaky crust around them. A scoop of ice cream alongside didn't hurt, either.:)

No, seriously, they alway had to be cooked in one way or another. But recently not so much. I don't know why, but lately I've found raw apples to be a treat. They didn't used to hit my stomach well when raw, but something has apparently changed and I find myself craving them these days.

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apples are great and probably my favourite fruit. The only problem is that I can't bite into them because of my veneers so I always have to slice them up before eating. This makeas them slightly less portable so I only tend to eat them at home. Still, cutting it up into slices makes it seem more of an "occasion", if you know what I mean.