An Inexpensive Side Dish: Carrot Fries!

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Punkin • Aug 28, 2017.

1. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    Food is expensive and time is in short supply. There's hardly anyone in the modern world who doesn't have those problems. When you need to prepare a nutritious meal for your family, you want it to be simple, cheap, and delicious. Today I will show you a side dish that meets all of those qualifications which you can easily customize to your personal tastes.

Carrots are a very inexpensive vegetable in most parts of the world, thanks to the abundance their ease of growth has brought to market. They're not always the easiest things to Incorporate into a meal, though. Outside of soups, many people don't prefer raw or boiled carrot slices. We can remedy this by using the humble carrot to mimic flavors and textures people naturally crave!

Preparing Your Carrots

First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and peel your carrots. Pat them dry after a good wash and cut them in half. Next, you want to make thin strips, about the size of shoe-string french fries. Do this by halving your cylinders of carrot length-wise so they make long half moon shapes. From here you just cut them into strips and you'll have perfectly julienned slices each time.

Seasoning and Baking

Now for the fun part. Toss your carrot slices in little olive oil. One or two tablespoons should be more than enough for a modest batch. Being ready for the seasoning, basic salt, and fresh-cracked pepper will do just fine on their own. However, you can really make something special by adding a little garlic and onion powder to the mix. Heat things up with a pinch of cayenne pepper, or a little smokey Hungarian paprika. There's really no wrong answer here, just use what your family loves.

Put these on a baking sheet and toss them in your oven for about 15 minutes. When they come out they will have the texture of french fries! The outside will be dry and crisp, while the inside will be soft from having steamed in its own water. The natural sweetness of the carrot will have concentrated so you may not even need ketchup to dip them in. Offer a little vinegar to see if your family finds the acidity pleasant with the sugars.

This is a dish that is sure to surprise. People who think they don't like carrots may discover that these carrot fries are just the thing to change their minds. Enjoy your meal!

2. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I never knew you could actually make a fries out of carrots. Carrots are actually versatile, you can even eat it raw and very palatable too. The fact that carrots is very nutritious will certainly make carrot fries an amazing side dish. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe, can't wait to try it too.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I like carrots when they are cooked nicely and are not hard to bite and if they don't have that "weird" taste. I have tasted some carrots that have an awful taste after being cooked, so needless to say, carrots isn't my favorite fruit.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the complete recipe. My sister makes almost the same but hers is fried. She calls it carrot fritters because she uses a batter so the carrot is wrapped in flour or corn starch. Her secret is the dip made of sugar vinegar and soy sauce that she cooks to make a sauce. Adding shredded red pepper gives the dip the spunk that makes it a favorite finger food.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both recipes sounds good, so someday I'll try them. Carrots are very cheap here in Hawaii, so I can get good nutrition and food that is yummy and easy to cook. Thanks for the recipes for the little carrot.