Ant Control?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by David Scott • Apr 8, 2014.

1. David Scott

David ScottNew Member

Threads:
    I swear my house is built on a massive ant nest !! I always have a constant stream of ants making there way through my home and yard and it tends to be different varieties. Whilst the ants outside dont bother me (unless I step on one and it bites me) the ones inside do become annoying. I try to keep the kitchen as clean as possible and not leave any dirty dishes overnight but they still find their way into my sugar bowl, honey jar and anywhere else they can get a feed. As I have young children (one is under 1 year old) I don't like the idea of using an insecticide indoors.

Can anyone recommend a child safe product or any other tips to try and keep the ants outside where they belong?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi David, I wish I could recommend some natural way or product that helps to control your ants, but I don't have any answers either. I have also got ants everywhere, especially before it starts raining. I really don't mind them, as long as they are not bull ants or red ants which can cause serious harm and damage. Here where I live, they come in all sizes and colours. There are even green ants that mainly live in trees, and that are a delicacy to certain people. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I have integrated ants into my life and don't worry if I accidentally eat one that is preserved in my honey jar.
    Perhaps someone else has a good suggestion. I'll keep following this thread. :)

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you heard of electronic pest control products? I've never really used them and for that reason can't be sure if they do the job right or not. Since you don't want to use pesticides of any kind, you could at least do some research on these products and then decide if they can help you. Here are a few reviews to start you off:
    You could also try to find out if people who've use this repellers recommend them.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The electronic pest control devices don't really work, based on the ones that I've tried but also according to some articles I've read on them as well. In particular, the ones that use sound. The problem is that many of the items in the room will block the sound waves from covering the whole room. In addition, the softer surfaces on the furniture and pillows and other stuff will absorb the sound waves rather than bounce them.

I'm not quite sure what to do if you've got them coming in everywhere in your house, but we recently had a problem with them coming in through our kitchen windows onto our counters. We had to move our sugar to another cabinet away from the window, cleaned everything really well to get rid of any sugar that may have spilled, then we used this new "ant gel" that comes in a tube (I think it's Raid brand) that you squirt along all the seams where you think they may be coming in. So far it's worked really well.

They also sell bug repellent that you can spray around the external spots of your house too, to ward off stuff like ants and spiders. I've used this on a detached garage of mine to get rid of all the spiders and it worked well too. Plus it lasts for months once you apply it.