Antacids

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Diane Lane • Nov 6, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a lot of digestive issues, so I take a Zantac type medicine on a daily basis. Sometimes, though, when my IBS is flaring, I will also have to use a liquid antacid. I've tried the name brands and also generics, and I haven't found much of a difference. Since I enjoy saving money, I usually purchase the generic antacid. I've used the generic versions from CVS, Kroger, and Walmart.

One thing I do have to pay attention to is the flavor. Some flavors seem to be more palatable than others. In the past, I've tended to avoid mint flavored antacids, but the last time I bought some, that was all that was available in the generic, so I bought it, and it's actually been pleasant. This is the Kroger brand I'm using right now, and It's a fast relief formula, with advanced antacid & anti-gas that can be compared to Maalox.

Do you use antacids? If so, do you buy brand name or generic?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For my occasional indigestion, antacid was prescribed. It was Zantac and later changed to another type which I forgot. Now it is Tums for me. My sister gave me a big bottle of Tums from the US which is good for 2 years consumption. Tums have different colors but I don't notice the flavor.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I buy the Walmart brand of Zantac. I think it's like 60-65 extra strength tablets for $4.00 if I remember correctly. It's cheap and works well. I also buy the Walmart brand of Maalox. It's much cheaper than name brands. My husband prefers the cherry flavor. It's the only one he can choke down.

Low stomach acid can be as bad as high. In some cases, people think it's the latter and try treating it with these products, only to make it worse. That was the case for me.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Possibly a person could avoid use of the stuff by simply drinking more base compositions like milk. Note milk works by countering the acids in your stomach. It can accomplish the feat, because it's composed of a base. Nonetheless, I'm sure the base composition in antacids is stronger.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    That's actually good advice, at least in some cases @Jason76@Jason76 . One of my relatives had stomach issues and it was recommended that she drink milk before eating to coat the stomach first. Milk also helps counteract things like hot peppers.

While you might not be able to avoid antacids and other meds completely, drinking milk before a meal could be helpful. It's worth a try at least, in my opinion. Might save some money on antacids.

6. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    In general, when you have a problem that only occurs some of the time, like infrequent heartburn, then taking an "as needed" medication is a good option. When you have a chronic, daily issue, then taking an "as needed" medication doesn't really make sense anymore, and pursuing a preventative medication is probably the better option. Chronic acid reflux (GERD) can take a toll on your body and can result in some serious consequences for the health of your stomach and esophagus, so looking into the underlying cause of your reflux and finding a better way to manage your condition is probably the better choice.

7. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Touch wood..I do not have digestion problem to consume antacid on a regular basis. However, I've been suffering from migraine for which painkillers were prescribed by the doctor. Whenever I have a bout of headache, I take those painkillers along with antacids to keep off any kind of stomach discomfort.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using Gestid occasionally both tabs and liquid. I find liquid quite effective. I think you may benefit from H2 blockers like pantoprazole or Rabeprazole.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely have acid probems with my stomach, but I have cheap antacids around for such issues. I have like a generic calcium carbonate that works and tastes like Tums as well as the generic version of pepto. I am happy because indigestion and stomach problems are not typical with me.

10. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Have any of you guys tried natural remedies for stomach ailments? I read that drinking warm milk with ground cinnamon in it (pure, not the kind that's mixed with added sugar) is good for tummy troubles. I tried it once, and it seemed to settle my stomach.

It was handy, since it was late and the nearby stores were closed. I already had the ingredients on hand, so I figured it was worth a try. I'm also told that mint will help soothe a sour stomach. I've heard of lots of different ideas like these. I am going to have to buy some fresh mint and see how that goes.

11. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    When I used to eat oily or spicy foods, I would always have gastric problems. I then started to drink carbonated water, with baking soda added along with a couple drops of lemon before every meal. Let me tell you, it worked very well and now, I rarely have problems with my stomach. They're all natural and they work very well for me. I even feel as if they're healing my stomach.

12. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I had tummy ache issues before because of acid and my aunt recommended me to try Tums. It's like candies and with different colors as well. They taste good and within minutes of taking it, my tummy ache is gone. I've been using it for quite some time now whenever I have tummy aches and it always does the job. I remember trying a different one when I was a kid and it's called Kremil S, and that one works for me too, although this one (Tums) is much better :)

13. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I always use Kremil S for my stomach problem caused by indigestion. I remember when I was once suffered a stomach ache due too much intake of gas, I don't know, how I did get it. I felt so bad. I had to go to the CR in a hurry. My wife had given me imodium for she suspected I had a diarrhea. I insisted that I want Kremil S for it is good for me when I am suffering from gas pains and it is well recommended for antiflatulent. It is an active med to alleviate hyperacidity.

14. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This immediately reminds me one of my friends who would always have to have these on hand, and it was unfortunate because if he did not he was basically out of commission. He always hated having to spend all that money though, so any ways to really save on these can help.

15. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    When I start getting stomach aches do to gas problems I like to take a cup of water with a teaspoon of baking soda and add a feel drops of lemon. This seems to work fine for me and it's fairly cheap and made at home. This is always my go to remedy as soon as my stomach feels upset. It has been a while since I have actually bought over the counter antiacids.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not much of an antacids fan, but I confess that they are usually very effective. However, I don't like the taste they usually leave in my breath.

Always after I take some antacid, I have to brush my teeth (and since I can't always brush my teeth at the moment, it's kind of annoying).

17. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    Does milk really help? How do we have to take it – hot or cold? I have been having acidity since two weeks now. I did not go to see the doctor and have been trying to control it by taking some antacids by myself. I have Digene after every meal but it is not helping. One day I did not have my dinner. I only had salads and then next day was better. So I am thinking of continuing this for some days. Maybe, it will become better. If milk really helps then I would definitely try this out also.