Anti-Virus

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by xcmiller93x • May 5, 2012.

1. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    What Anti-Virus do you have for your computer? I have Norton 360, and it works pretty well.

2. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I just have the anti-virus that came on the computer when I purchased it. It recently expired now that I've had it for six months. I thought it would have been on the computer for at least a year, considering I spend an extra $100 for it when I purchased the computer. That's the LAST time I will buy a computer from Best Buy. Their customer service sucks (it took them 30 minutes to even notice I was looking for a computer), plus there are too many punks roaming the store listening to music and wasting time.

3. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    I am currently using ESET nod32 one of the best av software out there. The program is simple. Comprehensive and is always updated. It does update everyday for viruses, or so atleast my version does.

4. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    I've tried a few and have found Norton 2011 to be the best.They do have a FREE 30 day trial and an option to renew at 39.99$/year.I would be careful using antivirus software that is always free because always free could end up costing you and shut down your computer for good.

5. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    As a security professional, I can tell you not all anti-viruses are equal! So far the best one I have found is MSE, which is Microsoft Security Essentials, it is completely free, and blow the likes of McAfee out the water!

6. fallace

fallaceNew Member

Threads:
    None at all, pretty rare that I get viruses, wouldn't see how I could as I'm not downloading useless garbage off the internet. ;)

7. blegz

blegzNew Member

Threads:
    I use Avast internet security, I started using it about 6 months ago. At first I used Norton but it caused more problems than it fixed. Then I switched to AVG free it was good for about a year but than it started to use up all of my resources. So today I am using Avast internet security and I can say its the best anti virus program I have used so far.

8. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    I'd love not to use anivirus because it blocks me things I don't want it to block.
    I use Avast. I used to have AVG and I don't see differences. I only know I hate Kaspersky and Norton. They are quite complicated. First of them blocked me the Internet connection once, and the latter didn't let me to uninstall it, LOL. That was hillarious.

9. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I use AVG, the Home Edition. It's free, of course. The thing about anti-virus programs is that just having one is not really enough to keep out every kind of virus. I avoid the problem by using Linux when I surf the net. I only use Windows when I play World of Warcraft.

10. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    That doesn't really protect you against cross site scripting vulnerabilities, or targeted attacks. I agree that it is up to the user to be secure, but if you are visiting a legitimate site, and it has been hacked by an invisible 1x1 iframe, running a java exploit, you are gonna be screwed without an antivirus, you wouldn't even know you were infected, while someone was happily stealing your bank details.

11. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I installed the free version of Avast! about a year ago, and have been using it ever since. Works great in my netbook together with MalwareBytes.

12. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I use AVG, it has been doing good for the last couple of years now. I don't like Norton or McAfee, and AVG has a great free version.

13. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus for my laptop. It works well and has saved my computer many times, but I'm probably going to get MSE once the second year license expires. I now know how to better handle myself online so I don't think I'll be needing so much protection. That and renewing 50 dollars a year is kinda a hassle for me.

14. Acronix

AcronixNew Member

Threads:
    I am not using any Anti-virus because I'm running on Linux. But I know some good AV's for Windows since I am also a Windows user for 12 years. For me the best paid AV I could think of is Kaspersky. It doesn't have a lot of false positives which really works for me because I don't want my files to be marked as a virus even though it's not. It's not that heavy on resources as well. MSE is also good but I prefer Kaspersky better. For free AV's on the other hand, I recommend Avast. I've tried all the other free ones but for me, Avast is the best.

15. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    I also have Norton's 360. I got it because I don't know a lot about computers and I wanted something that would sort of take care of it all for me. I haven't had any issues with it and it has blocked several viruses from getting in. I don't download anything that is not listed as safe and I stay away from sites that are listed as questionable. I haven't had it block me from any site I wanted into. I was going to try the free ones but since my laptop came with a free trial of the 360 version I just decided to renew it. It lets me download it to up to 3 computers so that took care of mine and my mom's two computers. I even got it on sale for only 39.99 which made it even better!

16. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried McAfee Norton AVG and Avira so far and I didnt have any problems with any one but Norton and McAfee slows down the system considerably. I found Avira Antivirus the most lightweight and user friendly in the market. The real time scan is fast, doesnt consume so much CPU and updates itself nicely, all I ever wanted.

17. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    The best anti virus is always yourself.better be well informed on things that you are downloading and installing.

18. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using Avira, and it's great so far despite being a free option. I also use ESET's online scanner thing. It really does the job when searching and killing viruses that can't be detected somehow by AVG, for example. But ever since I switched to Avira, it's been great by itself.

19. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    I find it pointless having a anti-virus. Just simple computer knowledge and you can basicly remove any virus/worm/malware/spyware/etc... In my opinion that will save you much more time and money. But if I had to pick a favorite anti-virus I would have to go with Kaspersky. Kaspersky is very reliable and powerful to protect your pc from much of the harmful data on the internet.

20. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    I have Norton on all of my computers. I use MalWare-Bytes just to scan for any viruses that do get through but there isn't many :D.