Any Advice For An Amature Gardner?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Leah • Apr 9, 2016.

1. Leah

LeahNew Member

Threads:
    I moved into my home a year ago and with Spring here, I think it's time to sort out the garden.

I've never had green fingers but would LOVE to give it a go. I want to put up the children's swings but am thinking of taking a small part and calling it my own. I want to see flowers and all things pretty!

Any advice for an amature gardener? Where is the best place to buy gardening tools and what are the essentials? I don't want to spend a lot if I can help it but am willing to if it means I'll get good use out of it.

What is the one tool you couldn't garden without?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Must have garden tools:

1. Digging tools — spade, garden fork, and any other tools that might do a better job.
    2. Trowel
    3. Rake

You can get started with the tools listed above. Or even better you could borrow the tools from neighbors and find out for yourself which ones you can do without.

3. Leah

LeahNew Member

Threads:
    Thank you so much! (Now, off to google to find out what a trowel looks like.. told you I was an amature!)

Edited: Just asked my friend google and I realized I know exactly what it is :D

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Essentials from my point view would be

Gardening gloves
    An Azada - preferably in two sizes - small and large
    Secateurs and loppers
    Hand trowel & fork - especially necessary for pots
    Rake
    Wheelbarrow

However - although all of the above are to me absolute necessities - if I could only have one garden tool - it would most definitely be an azada - which I think roughly translated into English - may be called a grub hoe - as not only is it extremely easy to use - but as it can tackle most jobs in the garden I'd never want to be without it.

Especially as - because it can be used for virtually everything - for example - digging, planting, weeding to harvesting root crops - as well as for - breaking up hard ground, making trenches, cutting through bush and weeds - even cuts through tree roots - having one generally eliminates the need for buying and/or having to lug around the garden - all the different tools that would otherwise be needed to tackle all those jobs.