Any cheap "cures" for exceptionally intellgent squirrels?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Esperahol • Mar 10, 2014.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    The reason I ask is because the little dears have figured out how to get around the chicken wire enclosure I have for my plants. Worse then that is that they've gotten use to the commercial spray I used to keep them out of my space. Also they know my schedule and so try to come before or after I've tended to the crops. Any help you can yield is great, because I'd really like to manage something this year. I had to just give up last time around.

2. Jennyflower81

Jennyflower81New Member

Threads:
    I have a few suggestions. Have you ever tried using cayenne pepper? I buy large containers of it at bargain stores and sprinkle around the perimeter of my vegetable garden. Some people also use red pepper flakes. The squirrels step in the pepper and then lick their paws and hate the burning. I have heard of people using moth balls for skunks, but I'm not sure if they would work for squirrels. One other thing you could do is put out some peanuts for them on the other side of your yard to detract them from that area you are trying to protect. They like the peanuts that are still in the shells. I figure that if the squirrel finds something satisfying like peanuts, they will eat them and move on. If you live in a rural area, consider making a "owl box" or a few of them, and tack them into the trees. Owls will deter the squirrels, in fact, some garden shops sell fake owls to hang in a tree, but I'm not sure how effective they are. I hope this helps! Good luck with your garden :)