Any Females Here Like To Travel Alone?

Discussion in Travel started by suegiplaye • Jul 20, 2015.

1. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I am a female and every time I bring up travelling my family and friends mostly look at me like I am crazy. Is it that crazy to want to travel out of the country. I know how to protect myself and what precautions to take. I just wish they were more support for women to travel to world.

2. Ingrid Cazala

Ingrid CazalaNew Member

Threads:
    I love to travel and honestly sometimes I love to have my own company. I have lived alone but I can't say I have travelled alone. I think if you are smart there is no reason why you shouldn't travel and do things by yourself. Even if you are travelling with people it could unsafe but honestly look into places and areas and using your common sense I don't see why not. If there was something I wanted to do and no one else did I would look into doing it by myself however for the company I would never go on a really long trip by myself. A few days in a city or something to go exploring I don't see why not !

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love travelling by myself for a few days, although haven't done it abroad for a few years now. It's great to be able to just take off though. If I waited aorund for someone else to get their act together every time I wanted to go somewhere, I'd never have visited half the places I've been.

4. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    I love traveling alone although I don't do it often anymore because y boyfriend tags along haha. There are definitely people it there who just don't "get it" but I love the freedom to do whatever I want whenever I want and feel like it actuall forces me to be more outgoing.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of my travels have been alone and I do prefer it to being with people for the sake of it. There is support and on my travels, I have found other solo female travelers and some are still good friends to this day. I met one in a youth hostel 15 years ago and we are still friends, although she lives in New Zealand. Another I met in Nepal over a decade ago and is one my closest friends.

You have to be careful, but also open to friendship too. I have ended up traveling with some that I met and then go our separate ways when we have different plans.

6. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I would love to travel to Nigeria this August and do not mind going alone. It is so true that even if you go with others it still cannot be safe. So if you decide to go by yourself nothing is wrong with that.The single life is the best life.

7. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I love to travel alone. There is nothing wrong with it at all. If you feel confident about it then who is anybody else to judge. When you are travelling alone you are on your own schedule and can see and do all the things you want to do. It is also a great time for a bit of soul searching. I prefer to travel alone.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I love it! Sometimes I like traveling with others, but other times, I want to be able to explore and travel on my own.

As far as safety, I try to follow as many precautions as I can. I don't worry myself too much or talk myself out of traveling because of the risks, though.

9. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    Thanks for your responses. I am only 21 so I would love to travel by myself and "find" myself. I love how when you are travelling your mind is at ease and you do not really have any troubles on your mind. It gives you a lot of time to think and relax.Travelling is very peaceful and relaxing .

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of travelling alone. I think that it is because I not very well traveled. I used to suffer from crippling anxiety, and so I have never been very worldly. I would feel unsafe travelling alone, because of that - I don't feel like I know the right procedures for certain things, and I don't want that to land me in any dangerous situations. On top of that, I am a woman traveling alone.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to travel with my husband because he is a good conversationalist. When he is with me, I feel safe because he seems to know almost everything. Especially when traveling abroad, my husband has lots of ideas and I never get bored. One time I was sent to the province for a short stint, it was lonely on the plane, no one to talk to.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm also not a fan of travelling solo, especially to a foreign country. I have done my fair share of travelling, but even still, I just couldn't travel on my own because I wouldn't feel safe. There IS safety in numbers. Plus I'd be bored to tears. I'd want to enjoy new experiences with other people, friends and family, and also not have to worry about safety as that would take away from me having fun.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like to travel along at the best of times, and that is for the reasons that I stated above. But on top of that, it is just more of an experience when you are traveling with a friend or family member/members who you care about, and can share the trip with. That way, also, if anything happens, there are two heads to think their way out of a situation as apposed to just one. It reduces panic, even if you are two women traveling together.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have traveled alone since I was 16. In fact, I went on a journey without return. I have lived in many different countries over the years, finding a lot of satisfaction in moving around, as I seem to be a born nomad. I currently live in one of the most dangerous cities in Latin America, where I have started a business a year ago. For me it's all about finding opportunities in places where others think that there is nothing to be gained.
    Follow your heart and your dreams, no matter what others tell you. It's your life. :)

15. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    Dora M I really like your response. Yep, you can always find an opportunity where others find nothing. I am also trying to start my online business and be a blogger. That is a remarkable achievement that you managed to travel alone at the young age of 16. May I ask what kind of business you own?

16. juulicob

juulicobNew Member

Threads:
    I enjoy traveling alone more so than accompanied by friends or family. Not to sound negative, because I love my friends and family! But I quite enjoy my own time when I travel; I become absorbed in my own little world and observe my surroundings. It's much easier to take care of yourself alone than when other people are around - I can move at my own pace without waiting on others. Since I was 17 I've traveled around America on my own and learned so much.
    When I turned 20 I went to Finland for a month. This was my first time leaving the US - and I was alone. I loved every second of it but I do understand the worries people may have when they hear a girl travels solo. However, I'm independent, smart and strong. I know how to read people and situations, so I try to reassure my parents whenever I travel that nothing will happen! Of course there are bad people and bad intentions all over the world but I don't live my life worrying about that.

17. elvisish

elvisishNew Member

Threads:
    Yes! I don't travel very much, but just this year I saved up enough money at went on a trip to Rome, Italy (I'm in the UK). It was really exciting, I was really careful and planned everything throughly and even though I'd never been on a plane by myself or indeed the last time I went abroad was 12 years ago when I was 13. But everything went well and I had a lovely time and great memories to take home :D
    My advice to women is to research where your going in advance, keep aware, be careful and you should be fine, and just try to enjoy yourself! :)

18. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong with traveling alone. There is a lot of stigma with women being kidnapped when they are alone in strange countries, however if you are smart and know how to travel safely, I think it can be fine. As a woman, I would not stay in any place shady or let a stranger know that I was alone in a hotel room, but if you travel with a decent budget, I think it is possible to plan out quite a safe trip.

19. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I love to travel by myself. It is very encouraging to hear that you , Juno traveled on your own at the young age of 20. Going to Finland by a yourself must've been very scary but the fact that you did it shows that you wanted to be brave. The peace and self discovery you get from traveling is very much worth it. I love going on walks by myself so I can only imagine how fun it will be to go on a trip by myself.

20. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    I had not tried traveling alone out of the country. My first out-of-country travel was with a friend. But if I want to travel out of the country alone, I could try. It just needs guts, preparation, and common sense to get your plan through. Also, be prepared with common phrases to use in case you are traveling to a country where English is not the secondary language, or primary, even.

But then, I love to travel alone. I even went back to the place where I worked in a hospital years ago, and it was fun meeting with your old friends there. Traveling alone is fun, especially if riding in an airplane. I love airports.