Any Good Suggestions For Finding A New Computer Desk?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by Zyni • Feb 7, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will probably start looking in used furniture stores. I've had pretty good luck with the stores around here in the past. I usually get a good quality piece for less than a new, lesser quality piece would cost. Still, I'm wondering if there are any good, affordable, places to look for desks that you guys might know of. I find such good information on this site that I like to give a shout here before I go looking around. Thanks!

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree usually the first place I look to is the 2nd hand store, you can get a good quality piece of furniture at a good price. I may need to be painted or cleaned up a little but it is good for your use. I wanted a small table and could not find what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay, while out just looking around at one of the local 2nd hand stores I found just what I wanted a small writing table of only $10.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I depends where you are live and if you have a store near you, but Ikea do nice computer desks. I don't mind second hand ones, but it also depends on the room you have as I always had a tight space and The measurements are more important and where the desk will go, rather than the price. You could have a look there, as I like desks with shelves and enough leg room and because I spend so much time there, comfort is important.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever seen a second-hand or used desk in any decent condition. More often than not, I see them at the side of the road, all dilapidated, warped and broken.

Personally I prefer to shop for my desk and office chair at the same time, in the same store, so I can try them out side by side, and make sure they are the proper heights with each other. Several times in the past I've been burned when I got home with a new chair or a new desk, only to find out the chair sat too high or too low relative to the desk, even when adjusted to it's max settings.

A big poofy leather "executive" chair was one of the worst instances - even with it lowered as far as it would go, my knees were still scraping against the desk.

Something else to consider is if the desk - when put together - can even fit through your doorway. I bought a really nice desk once, and figured it would make more sense to assemble it in the garage where I had more room - then bring it into the house. It didn't dawn on me that it might be too wide to get through a doorway - but it was. I nearly damaged the desk in several spots trying to take it apart.

5. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    The first thing you might want to look at will be your sitting position. Will your chair be too high, or too low? Are you going to have to look down when you work or tilt your head up? Make sure you get this right first. Next, if your rig is heavy like your normal gaming pc, get a stronger, reinforced desk. If your pc is more compact, maye you can settle for the cheaper plastic ones.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't know if you have any near in your area but I usually go to surplus stores first if I'm looking to get anything big like furniture. Often they will have some good products as long as you are willing to spend some time digging around. If I can't find anything there then I'd just go online and find where I can get coupons and discounts for the known stores I buy from.