Any Ideas For A Cheap But Fun New Year's Eve Menu?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by thisnthat • Dec 30, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    We're not doing anything fancy. We will be staying home to toast the new year, but I figured it would be nice to at least add some festive party food for the evening. We'll probably kick back and watch some movies until it's time to pop the champagne.

Instead of having a big meal, I'd rather go with some fun foods, but I also don't want to spend a lot. I know it's kind of last minute, but I'm hoping some of you may have planned better than I did. :) If so, please share some ideas for affordable but fun party foods to make for this occasion. I will appreciate all suggestions.

2. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    What you can do it just buy a few sausages, chunks of meat, pork, and chicken. No seasoning required and no gas usage. Just light a fire and let the people or your family grab a stick or something and roast it over the fire. That's what we did last year and that's what we're planning on again. You can add a bit of lemon or salt if you want. Not only does it save a lot of money but it's fun, saves a lot of time, and it tastes delicious.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our new year fare is almost always the same every year. We have pasta and anything roasted. Last year we had spaghetti and now we are going to have macaroni in tomato sauce. For the roasted, we had chicken barbecue last year and tonight we are going to have pork barbecue in time for the New Year’s eve celebration. For the drinks, it is okay if we got a gift of champagne or red wine otherwise I will just brew hot chocolate from cocoa tablets that a friend gave us for Christmas. Yeah, one of the cheapest food is pasta and anything roasted or broiled. Check it out.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually go to a nearby town but this year was different for us. We had decided to celebrate the evening in our own city in a nearby restaurant which had promised a lot of fun with an orchestra party from Bollywood and couple of local dancing groups. The party was a hit as the food was great, we did not have to travel much of a distance and there were many local friends around.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Well, that does sound like fun, but it was too cold here for such a party. I hope you enjoyed yours though.

That's true @Alexandoy@Alexandoy. Pasta is definitely handy for a cheap meal. Your food sounds good.

Sounds like you had a nice time, @Ray1@Ray1. I'm glad.

I ended up finding some pretty cool recipes on Pinterest that allowed me to use many things that I already had on hand, like a pizza dish that I made using leftover bread dough. It all worked out. It was a quiet night, but nice, and it didn't cost me much to get everything together.

Happy New Year.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    For this year we ordered a pizza and bought some extra snacks to munch on. My daughter really enjoyed it since she loves pizza that's pretty much why I decided on pizza. It was just my husband, my daughter and I this time around so we really didn't spend much.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat Yes you can say we had a nice time at a comparatively low price than most other years. We saved a lot on petrol and then the offer at local restaurant was almost 30% lesser than what we would have paid at similar restaurant in our usual capital city. The menu was great and food was tasty but what I missed was my favorite Punjabi dance. By the way it was not as cold in our area this year as it usually is. I hope you enjoyed your home made dishes :)

#7Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2017