Any Ideas For Appetizers?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by thisnthat • Jan 11, 2017.

1. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried stuffing green pepper with cheese? Not bell peppers though. Stuff them with cheese and then dip them in an egg batter then fry them. It will definitely raise your guest's appetite.

2. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, do you mean like jalapeno poppers? I've seen them with either cheddar cheese or cream cheese inside. I haven't tried to make my own version recently. I did try once long ago. I think it would be better to just buy some in this case (unless you know an easy, foolproof, method you'd like to share.) :)

These are usually a crowd-pleaser though, so thanks for the idea. I wonder if there is someplace that I can buy these in bulk to get a bit of a discount. They tend to be a little pricey, I think. I could probably pick up a few packs at Aldi and at least save a few dollars.

3. Working Buck

Threads:
    [​IMG]
    I'm talking about this pepper. I just cut them from top to bottom on one side and take the seeds out. put some cheese in it. I would be 2 to 3 eggs where I dip the peppers before I fry them. It's quite a lot of work but it's worth it.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd opt for something bought like crispy one ton order to take out. All you have to do is rewarm them in your oven for a fast hors d' oeuvres for a small party. Since it's almost Chinese New Years Jan. 28, an article I just read said have pork or chicken dumplings 8 or more for it symbolizes wealth for the New Years. How about one of my favorite finger food, bite size celery topped with tuna salad or egg salad? Toothpicks makes them easy to pick up and eat. It won't go soggy on you either. Another favorite that is easy to eat if no one minds gabbing is Checks Mix or pretzels-cheap at Walmart. Or how about having tuna mix or egg salad mix with Keebler Club Crackers on the side so your guests can scoop up the mix with the club crackers? Easy, fast and healthy, well except for the deep fried pork won ton, I'll give this an almost healthy food title for you to choose from and I hope this helps. Have a wonderful party time!

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    The image didn't come through, but thanks for the instructions @Working Buck@Working Buck. It sounds like a tasty idea. They probably would be less expensive if I shopped around for the ingredients and made them myself. Maybe I can even get some bulk stuff at Walmart or something.

Oh, I have to remember stuffed celery, @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe. That always works (and I like it). I usually do something like ranch cream cheese or mix up some cream cheese with taco seasoning. McCormick has some tasty seasoning blends so mixing it with something makes a good filling. The kids like celery sticks with peanut butter inside.

6. Working Buck

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat I think you might be able to save a lot if you shop and do it yourself but it's quite some work. It just sounds easy LOL! these peppers cost around a dollar for 20 pieces in my place so they are a bit cheap.

#26Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  7. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat :)Sounds delicious! Some people make a fresh veggie platter with dips at parties and it's a big hit. Many like to go healthy or give people choices of both meat and veggies only dishes. It's nice to have a choice for I like both so my plate gets full easily, lol. Parties have so much delectable choices it's so good!

#27Jan 29, 2017
  8. Working Buck

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe Since you brought up veggies, I do eat cucumber dipped in vinegar with black pepper and sugar. Have you tried that? I do like it so much.

#28Jan 29, 2017
  9. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :)Not yet, but it sounds delicious! I'd substitute the sugar with Stevia though. At my age we got to be careful of sugar intake. When I was younger I didn't have to worry about sugar. There was just ripen puree mango I'd cut into pieces. I'd dip the pieces in sugar, soy sauce, salt and pepper, yummy! I loved fried mochi pieces dipped in sugar and soy sauce too. Not today though for I nix the sugar completely. I watch my sugar numbers too on labels. Lovely veggie dish you mentioned and I might it one day, thanks.

10. Working Buck

Threads:
    I do think replacing sugar with stevia would be a great idea. Well I do eat mangoes the same way as you mentioned but not the ripe ones though. I love those green mangoes with soy sauce, pepper and sugar. I also like green mangoes with fermented shrimp.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :)That's nice. I just like my mangoes without fermented shrimp. I like fermented soy beans though and if you put a little mustard on it the smell goes away. Food the spice of life and enjoyment of life. Mangoes got very expensive locally now, 2.99 a pound so I just go without. When I was younger we had a fiend who had a mango tree for puree mangoes and it was nice for we got a bag full of mangoes every year. She unfortunately passed so there went our mango connection. :(

12. Working Buck

Threads:
    That's sad.We do have three mango trees in our ancestral land, we call them Indian mangoes and I really don't know why. But they do taste pretty good and we don't need to buy green mangoes in the market since we have them at home. In our place they do cost quite a bit high as of now. It's the reason why I don't buy some even if I do love eating them.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :)You lucky person for fruit trees are the best to have always. When you have food growing in your backyard it's the best thing in the world to have for you'll always have food. I miss our mango connection as well as the mangoes, but it's just a fact of life. When you can have food always, it's not only enjoyable it's nutritiously delicious too! Enjoy your mangoes and I'm happy for you that you have mangoes to eat always.

14. Working Buck

Threads:
    I really miss those so much since it's been quite a while since I visited that property of ours, My grandpa use to grow some other plants there too. We have squash, eggplants, okra, and a lot of other veggies. The land next to ours, the owner always grows either corn or sugar cane. We used to ask for some when we were kids.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :)Those are the best kinds of veggies and fruits to eat for it's right there so fresh and clean. My Aunt's father-in-law had a garden like the one you mentioned. Both are gone now, but not the memory of the fresh veggies we pick daily for out table. Those were the days of wonderful memories that will never depart us. Veggies and fruits so delicious picked the day you eat just can't be beat. Now the grocer's have things like asparagus, I love fresh asparagus, but at $4.99 a pound I do without. I buy frozen which is never as good as fresh or canned. One thing that popped up is farmer's markets which has almost as fresh as we picked them ourselves, hooray! How about where you live do you have farmer's markets?

16. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Purchase some pork, beef, and chicken. Chop the cooked meat into bite-sized cubes. Set 3 plates for each type of meat. Make 3-5 kinds of salsa and provide toothpicks so that people could use that instead of their hands to pick the meat up. They can then dip their desired cubed meat into any sauce they want.

For vegetarians, you can set out chopped fruit, nuts, berries, and bread.

17. Working Buck

Threads:
    I don't think we have a farmer's market in our place, but I do have neighbors who have their veggie garden and they do give away veggies sometimes.

18. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :)Lucky you, you get to eat free veggies. Here on Oahu I go to either Tuesday or Friday farmer's market right in the heart of town. They have freshest veggies I've ever eaten. Chinatown near by has the second freshest veggies and fruits. I get my Okinawan bitter melon that stops diabetes 2. I usually boil it and drink the boiled water of the bitter melon like tea. My numbers are good so far and I'm keeping it that way with Nopal vitamins too. I've a sweet tooth, so it gets in my way for normal sugar blood levels, especially now that I'm older. At our apt. the water is included with the rent, so it's a nice idea to save water & no place for a little garden. We could get potted veggies, but when you're a Senior citizen who rides the bus things not so easy to cart around. I depend on the farmer's market for veggies & fruits.

19. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Another Idea I can share would be lasagna muffins. All you needed are some cheese, Pasta meat sauce and wanton wrappers. It is cheaper than the usual lasagna and it is less messier to eat as well because they have bite size pieces.