Any Linux Users Here?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Flowerpower • Feb 10, 2016.

1. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I used Windows as an operating system for a long tie but i got frustrated with the constant updates, viruses and worms. When I switched to Linux Mint I saw a huge difference, I've never had to use anti virus protection in the five years I've been using Linux, the only downside is that most games and apps are made primarily for Windows users. Does anyone else use Linux? How does it compare to your Windows experience?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used Linux for a little while but I didn't like it. Maybe it's because I'd bought into the myth that Linux is harder to use but the fact that most of the programs I used didn't have Linux alternatives that were just as good, I had no option but to switch back to Windows.

I don't believe though that Linux is immune to viruses but it's more secure than Windows anyway.

3. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I used Linux until recently. I had windows 8.1 but I just hated that OS so much. I have to say that Windows 10 looks and feels great. Sure, Linux mint is amazing, but I switched over from Ubuntu to Windows because I was tired of not being able to play all of my games well. Plus, there is a lot of software and support for windows that simply does not exist for Linux Distros.

I still have ubuntu but I am not going to use it much. I am no longer that crazy about being open source as I used to be. Also, Linux has more loopholes than you think. Everyday hackers can't get in because they are not trying. Android is a linux distro and there are a lot of problems that android has faced because it got the attention of hackers. So, its all relative. I would like to stay "mainstream" when it comes to OSs now.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used a puppy version of Linux. I had a very old ThinkPad that could no longer run Windows without crashing. I ran Lupo from an usb flash drive. I really loved it. I gave the laptop to a friend and she loves it too. Lucid is the most "Windows-friendly" Linux distro.

5. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    @Parker@Parker Lucid is pretty good. I just installed it on an old pc that is now being used as the "central security" system at my parents' place. All the cams and what not connect to it and I am using free open source software to make sure things run as securely as possible.

@Flowerpower@Flowerpower Also, if you have a bunch of features in mind, you can always create your own operating system. You heard that right. And no, you don't need to have any coding experience. Just search for "Suse studio" and create your very own personalized and super-awesome operating system. I want to see Windows try to beat that :)

#5Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2016
  6. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I've encountered Linux once. It was at my old job. I was given a computer based on Linux. At first, I was a little bit surprised. I didn't really know how to use it properly and even had to watch some tutorials. They helped me a little bit. As the time went on, it started growing on me. But not much fast, actually. In the end, all the computers switched back to Windows, as the boss updated his licence.

7. JusApee

JusApeeNew Member

Threads:
    I have a Dual Boot with Windows and Ubuntu, but I'm using Windows for most of the stuff. I tried switching to Ubuntu, but being a gamer on Linux is hell. I tried getting games to work with Wine but didn't manage to get them to run properly, unfortunately. I only got a headache and I gave up. I'm still keeping Ubuntu in Dual Boot because I feel safer storing certain data on it rather than on a Windows partition.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried using a Linux computer for a short time but enough for me to make a conclusion of the program and to be honest, i'm not fan. I feel like Linux is not a solid OS and not many free program online supports the platform so i don't really see the point in using it.

9. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    I'm using Manjaro while writing this, which is based on Arch Linux.

I have an Ubuntu Desktop computer lying around and I do like Ubuntu Server since installing with APT is usually a breeze, but must say that I'm impressed by Arch Linux's package management and especially by the AUR (comparable to PPA's but more neat).

My computer is warm and cozy thanks to Manjaro; as a rolling-release distro it gets frequent updates and you are the one who chooses when to reinstall, not a company's release cycle (which is a very big plus).