Any Netbook Suggestions Under $250?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lindbergh • May 10, 2016.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mom wants to get a new netbook. She currently has an Asus netbook but is kinda on its last legs. The internal fan is also no longer working. Because of this, she wants to get a new netbook but she's on a limited budget. She has a $250 cap. She's not into games. And if she does play, its just the typical puzzle games like Zuma Deluxe and Bejeweled. This means that hardware power is not an issue. Of course she mainly uses the netbook for making and editing documents and browsing the web. Yes, she's a Facebook addict.

What netbook would you recommend?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is she stuck on a netbook because she loves the size? I have had a few netbooks in the past, but found with mine (older versions, one an Acer, one a Samsung) that they didn't do very well with websites, since the websites didn't recognize them as 'mobile' devices, and would try to load full sized pages that just didn't work, because I had to keep scrolling around. I don't think that many companies are making netbooks these days, but I really liked the two I had, and if she's happy with the ASUS one she has, I'd start with those brands, if she's insistent on buying another netbook.

Since it doesn't seem she does anything really taxing on the device, has she considered switching to a tablet? For that price, she could get a nice tablet that would serve her needs well, and they come in a variety of sizes. I typically do similar functions on my tablet to what your mom does, and the only caution I'd put forth is if she goes with a tablet, buy the best processor she can, and also the most RAM.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I had good experience with using a brand called eepc once and that laptop lasted me for years although by the tail end of its lifespan I have to admit it was barely usable since it was so slow already. To be fair that was way back so maybe the technology wasn't quite as good as it is now. I have browsed some reviews online and it seems like a Asus may be a good choice as well, but for that price you might also want to consider just getting a Chromebook although that one would necessitate always being online.

4. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    Go for the Hp Stream 11. Great Laptop for the price as it offers latest Windows 10 within your budget and also has an Atom ByTrail Quad core. It may be low on Storage, but you can always upgrade to a better storage by adding an external Hard disk or an SD card in the future. It also comes with Office 365 bundled and 1TB of One Drive Storage free. SO you are in luck. As you get services bundled with the Laptop which cost as much as the Laptop itself. Good Luck.