Anybody buy anything from Fingerhut?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dconklin • Apr 25, 2013.

1. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen the name Fingerhut around for many years and I have gotten their catalogs before, but I have never known anybody who actually ordered from them. I noticed that they have their own financing (I got a catalog with a "you are guaranteed $200 credit with us") but not sure how good the company is. I am guessing they are decent since they have been around for a long time, but not sure. I do know that the credit offer costs you more then if you were to buy the item from them outright tho - which I can understand with interest.

Have you ever ordered from a Fingerhut catalog? If so how were they, any good? Some of the things looked reasonably priced if you don't opt for the financing.

2. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    The quality of the product reminds me of Lillian Vernon products. If you have never bought from Lillian Vernon, then I will tell you it is just a few steps up from dollar store products. I have bought things on credit before myself. But I try to ask myself if this is really something I will use often. And Is it worth the extra percentage fee I will be paying on it. If it is a product that will have to sustain alot of wear and tear. Then I would not recomend buying from Fingerhut.

3. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have never bought anything from Fingerhut because I don't like the pricing. Maybe things have changed, but I seem to remember everything being structure for multiple payments. I have ordered from Lillian Vernon before though, and I was completely satisfied with what I bought and the whole shopping experience.

4. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I've gotten catalogs from Fingerhut offering me financing. I believe their products are over-priced and not worth the payment plan. That's just me. My mom purchased a digital camera from them and she ended up returning it because the quality was so bad. She could have spent the same amount of money or less at Wal-mart and would have gotten a better quality camera. She also got a paper shredder from them. It works well and is convenient. I'd check online for customer reviews of an item if you have your eye on it to purchase. They are brutally honest on the reviews. But I'd also check Amazon.com for the same item to compare pricing.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Finger hut is okay but I'd be careful I mean they do have nice things and if you do the payments they can be really cheap but also I found that most of the time I can get a product on finger hut at Walmart or Kmart for a whole lot less

6. nikki_luvv

nikki_luvvNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with everyone else, my mom used to order from Fingerhut years ago, but the quality is lacking and not worth the money. Those items are probably at your other local stores.

7. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of Lillian Vernon before. I noticed that if you buy things outright from there that some are reasonable priced, but if the quality isn't good then it is not worth it. Not sure that I would do the financing as I don't like owing money but they sent me the catalog with the option of financing. I was surprised to see they had vacuum cleaners and all.

Yeah if you go with the financing it doesn't look worth it. If you buy it outright the prices look reasonable but the financing really adds on the fees. I don't have a car at the moment and usually wait until I can get to Walmart for things, but I thought that maybe if they were worth it I could make it easier on everybody who is nice enough to give me a ride :D

#7Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fingerhut is not a lot different than shopping at Walmart. The difference is that you can finance things with Fingerhut that you can't afford to just go to Walmart and pay cash for. When you finance, you are going to pay a lot more in fees to get the same product, however, if you can't get credit, and you want to buy a $300 stereo and don't have $300, then you can probably get it from Fingerhut, and pay $30 a month until it is paid for, which will take 1-2 years, with the expensive financing.
    I have bought from Fingerhut before, and was satisfied with the things I bought, and I have some friends that used Fingerhut regularly to get the things they wanted, and only make payments.
    They will start you off with a low credit limit, and as you buy from them, then the credit limit will go up, and you get special offers from them all the time to encourage you to buy more items.
    I think it provides a good service for people who can't pay cash, or don't have credit cards.

9. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure about the financing because of how expensive it looked for the monthly payments. I don't like to owe money so I would order more for the ease of doing it a t home. I am usually one of those "if I can't pay cash then I don't need it kind of people"

As long as you were satisfied with the product, that was the biggest thing keeping me from ordering - I had to consult here first.

10. sking61

sking61Member

Threads:
    I have receive their catalog and I've seen a few things I like but I never bought anything as of yet.

11. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    My mom bought a few things from Fingerhut, and I wasn't really impressed. Some of it is pretty decent, but you can buy nicer things for much cheaper at regular places like Walmart and Target. Housewares and such are okay, but stay away from the electronics...the prices are truly ridiculous. Seventh Avenue is similar, but I think I like their products better, and they offer easy financing with surprisingly low interest rates.

12. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I have ordered from finger hut once but I realized it is more expensive getting things from them instead of just getting it at a store so I prefer to buy in a store

13. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Fingerhut has been a company that my family has been dealing with for years. While we were growing up my parents were on a fix income and it was hard for them to get credit with anyone. Fingerhut was one of the places they could go to and got credit with. My mother was a loyal customer of Fingerhut for years. When I started working I also became a customer of Fingerhut as well and my sister is still a customer of the company. I have found them to always be trust worthy to deal with, have good customer service, and have good reasonable monthly payments. Plus, the items that we have usually got from them were good quality. The only complaint I might have on the company is that their interest on the item can seem high once you have paid it off, but this is really no different then the interest most credit cards charge you when using them.

14. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I've order from them before, a long while ago. I do like looking at their catalogs, though. They have some interesting things in there, usually unaffordable to me, but nice. :p

15. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like finger hut. I bought a typewriter about 20 years ago and it broke in less than a week. I was stuck with a bill and they harassed me for about 10 years. I know that was ages ago, but I'm still mad :mad: . I wouldn't mess with them or advise anyone else to.

16. BabyBrwneyez

BabyBrwneyezNew Member

Threads:
    I have ordered games for my son for Christmas. Yes they were overpriced but this program does offer the ability to make small payments overtime. I will continue to make purchases with them just for that.