Anyone buy their groceries online?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by dieselfit • Oct 30, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I've always heard of grocery shopping going online. I've never tried it but I wonder if it's any better. I can't imagine it would be because the costs would be much higher for the convenience and delivery. Then again traffic and gas can cost money and time as well.

2. jcairns82

jcairns82Member

Threads:
    I've used it in Canada for a number of times. The costs range from $6-$8 and it's definitely worth that for myself. When I was a student, it was more valuable for me to spend time studying and working on papers than taking the bus to the grocery store and back and dealing with line-ups, etc. Instead, I just quickly selected my groceries and then they'd arrive a few hours later. It made sure that I had healthy items in the house instead of ordering a pizza or going out, if I had empty cupboards.

3. minotechonline

minotechonlineNew Member

Threads:
    My parents use Stop N Shops service called Peapod. The service charge is low I think like $5 but we give the person who brings it a tip. It saves a lot of time and effort and my parents are really busy doing something for the next few months so it helps them out a lot. However, sometimes they substitute different brands or forget items on your list on occasion, but other than that it is a great and affordable service.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a frugal shopper, I haven't found any online grocery stores that are a real bargain. It's cheaper to buy my groceries at the store. The only grocery items I buy online are Asian sauces or Japanese candies that my local supermarket doesn't sell. It's not worth it to pay shipping to have a website deliver peanut butter and Pine Sol to my doorstep.

5. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy my groceries online, because I find problems with that. I mean I have never actually met someone who has bought their groceries online, because it seems useless. I mean why order them, when you could easily go to the store and purchase them.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We don't have this option in our area, or at least not just yet. I don't think I'd be too against it when it does become available. Although, we do have a delivery service from a closeby convenience store, and I'd say it's pretty darn convenient. I would probably never have fruits, raw meat, or vegetables delivered, though. I prefer to see those before I buy them, but some less fragile goods are alright for me to have delivered like snacks, sodas, etc.

7. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would love to be able to grocery shop online lol. It would be so much easier and it would save gas money.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to do online grocery a lot when I did not have a car. It was really hard for me to take a bus or the train to the supermarket and then come back with my hands full of stuff. I already used Walmart grocery and Safeway. Not that Safeway is not good, it is really good and has good prices and the delivery fee is not very high. However, Walmart is cheaper, has way more products available online, have slightly cheaper delivery fees, and the delivery guys are so nice every time. Also, when i first signed up for Walmart delivery I got a voucher for 5 free delivery for any time Window. You can usually choose your delivery window and pay accordingly. The four hour window is the cheapest one, and then sometimes there is a three hour window, usually a two hour window and a 1 hour window, which is the more expensive one. I find that with both Safeway and Walmart I never have problems with my grocery being delivered out of the time crunch, which is pretty commendable. Anyway I don't use it anymore because now I have a car and I love actually going to the supermarket and looking at the products myself, but I definitely recommend it.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't typically, but I have used it once or twice from a place that sells foods from the local farmers and other organics. They don't charge for delivery, great people. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it. I need to know what's in/on my food and I wouldn't be able to read labels. I care what I put in my body, I need to see it with my own eyes.

10. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I've never been in an area that offered this service. I think it would be great for elderly people or people without a car though.

11. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    One of the local supermarkets (Giant) is offering some service where you order online and then drive up there, and they will have your order ready. You don't even have to get out of your car. I think it's interesting, but I don't really know all that much about it honestly.

12. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I buy a lot of my gluten free foods online. Some of it isn't available locally, so I have no choice. For example, no stores around here stock gluten free Rice Krispies, so I have to order them from Amazon. Also, some of the gf foods are cheaper online. For example, Quaker Rice Cakes are two bucks at Walmart.com, but if I were to get them at my local Kroger's, I'd end up paying three dollars.

13. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    No just because I absolutely can buy them at a cheaper price in the grocery store. As with the grocery stores I also buy my favorite ones at the cheapest cost. I also buy the freshest fruits and vegetables. This also plays a part for my workout program as I can walk for 1 mile to and 1 mile back ensuring I get that benefit of a workout program.

14. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    I've never order groceries online either. I have thought about it before, but never really felt a need when I can just go to the store. I'd probably spend way more than normal if all I had to do was click the button. I save a lot more when I think about how many bags I'll have to carry if I get more than I need. I think the only way I'd be interested is if I could save a lot more than going to the store!

LOVE & DEALS
    DH :cool:

15. Ember

EmberNew Member

Threads:
    I've bought some groceries online—nothing fresh like dairy or meats, but shelf stable stuff, for sure. I like to buy things in bulk online because of the savings in money, time, and transportation costs. I have Amazon Prime, so I don't pay for shipping from them. I've ordered a lot of canned goods and disposable paper products, especially toilet paper and paper towels. Snacks are another good one. Price-wise, it's a basically like going to BJ's or Sam's Club.

I live on the third floor, so it's kind of nice to have UPS delivering that stuff instead of having to haul it up the stairs from my car.

16. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    Groceries online? Shockingly I'm not aware of this task till now. It may be due to the reason that it is not in use often in our locality. It sounds a bit confusing to me as I couldn't imagine or figure out how people patiently sort out all the items and order them. I guess this really works out well for an unusually busy person so far. Well, I need to look upon this and checkout this facility in our near locality.

17. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    While i know some people that do it, and in their case it's worth it because they really don't have time for such trivial things, i think i still prefer to just go out and get my things, because i like to choose what to buy and at my own pace.

18. dazzlingblue

dazzlingblueMember

Threads:
    Well, yes, on some items. I use the subscribe-and-save option on Amazon and have stuff I use often in cooking, like canned tomatoes, tahini, larabars, etc, in that system so that they can just be shipped to me on a regular schedule, set according to me. I even have stuff like my canned seltzer water that I like on that system. Most of the time, the price on amazon is cheaper than the regular brick-and-mortar store price, and it's free shipping. I've also found that because I don't frequent the store as often to pick up those items, I avoid making frivolous purchases from browsing in a store.

19. Cara18

Cara18Member

Threads:
    I never order my groceries online but I would like too. I think it would be a lot more convenient especially for those who don't have cars. I wouldn't want to get on the bus with a bunch of bags. Plus you would be able to keep better track of how much you were spending.

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would try it if it was available in my city, but alas, my small city has nothing. :) Altho, the delivery cost here can be upward to $10, which could sometimes be more than half of the total cost of groceries, depending on what you buy..