Anyone have a SmartTV?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lavenderblue • Mar 24, 2014.

1. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    SmartTVs are basically HDTVs that have built-in accessibility to web services and apps such as Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and being able to surf the web. They sound really interesting as an all-in-1 and I'm honestly curious to try one out someday, maybe the next time I need to get an HDTV. Samsung and Vizio have released a few models of SmartTVs and I'm wondering if anyone has tried them and how the reliability seems. Reliability is so important for an HDTV so even though having extra features seems cool, it wouldn't be worth it at the expense of overall quality. Can anyone vouch for SmartTVs?

2. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    No. I do not think Smart Television are worth it anymore. Considering the development of devices like the Roku, and The Chromecast. These devices provide you the same functionality of a top of the line Smart television for only $35. The best part is that you can connect it to the TV you already have. Smart televisions cost thousands of dollars. which is an absolutely ridiculous price. There re much better alternatives, similar to the one I outlined above.

Do not waste your money on a smart television.

3. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    Smart TVs generally are pretty expensive when compared to the standard HDTVs. This is due to the reason that the manufacturers have to incorporate a Wifi antenna and a faster processor in order to run those applications. In my opinion, it is not feasible to buy these TVs solely due to the reason that there a number of aftermarket devices which you can plug in to your tv and are able to give a better experience then these smart TVs and that too at a fraction of a price.

4. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I do not own one. However, apparently my kids Minecraft game needs us to have one of these Smart TVs if he wants to play what ever it is. He explained it to me, but I did not fully understand anything but the, we need a new TV part. Lol.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do! I got a smart TV a couple of weeks ago from LG. I am in love with it, it is very reliable and great quality. To the image is very clear and the sound is very good. The only bad thing for me is that you need to buy the wireless device separately from the TV. At least for the LG I bought.
    But it is very convenient because you can watch on your TV everything you needed to watch on your computer or attach a wire to the TV.

6. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    Nope, I do not have one but anyone can make their tv a smart TV with devices like Roku, chromecast, or a gamin console. You can save some money by getting a TV that isn't a smart tv and pairing it with these devices. It's kind of hard now days though because most tv's hitting the market now are standard with smart tv and are relatively inexpensive.

7. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    Do you think it was actually worth th money though? Or would you rather have spent the same money on a "regular" TV but purchased a much bigger one? I am just having a hard time justifying the cost of a smart TV when I know I can spend the same amount of money and get a much bigger regular TV

8. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    Ah, I forgot about Chromecast.. the size of that thing is impressive in its smallness and if it really works effectively, could be a better alternative to getting a dedicated smart tv. Smart tvs might not be worth the extra cost but they still seem like an interesting technology, I've heard good things about LG but I'd probably go for Samsung in the end if prices were competitive.

9. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    This post is absolutely correct. I do the same thing. The only difference is i use a NeoTv media player. It works exactly like Roku, and Chromecast. I receive the same features as someone with a top of the Smart TV. Knowledge really is power, because i am 100% certain that most people do no know about devices such, as the Ruku, an NeoTV. There is no way Smart TV's would sell as many units as they do.