Anyone have the Shake Weight?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by cards538 • Jul 10, 2012.

1. cards538

cards538New Member

Threads:
    I know the Shake Weight is pretty old by some standards, but I was wondering if anyone has it and what they think of it. On TV the explanation of how it works didn't really make too much sense. Is it any better than your standard weights? Would buying it or buying P90X be better? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really curious about how the Shake Weight works and how well it works. :confused:

2. QuatreHiead

QuatreHieadMember

Threads:
    Don't know what the other product is that you would like to compare the shake weight to, but I have used a shake weight before. It did offer quite the work out. I mean if nothing else the back and forth motion your body can't help but to fight the motion a little and that strengthens the bicep a bit more. Unfortunately, I never used it for an extended period of time, however I do think it offers more of a work out than a standard dumbbell. Hope this is somewhat helpful!

3. cards538

cards538New Member

Threads:
    thanks for letting me know! It's definitely an interesting alternative to your typical curls/pushups/etc. I've been wanting to build up my forearms and biceps for baseball, and yes curls are helping, but can often get boring. I have used the Shake Weight once before at a friend's and it did seem to make me sore afterward, but I didn't continue to use it so I don't know what the results would've been if I continued to use it.

4. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    It is not that old. I have used it but didn't continue for some reason. The good thing about shake weight is that it does improve the efficiency and you can achieve results a lot faster than traditional methods. One thing you should keep in mind is that there are separate versions available for males and females so make sure you buy the right thing.

5. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    The shake weight is probably great for building muscular endurance in your arms and shoulders, but P90X is clearly the better option for a full body workout. If you're working out specifically for baseball, you definitely don't want to forget about your core strength and legs (especially if you're a pitcher). The shake weight is good for endurance and definition, but P90X is without a doubt the superior full-body option.

6. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Comparing the Shakeweight to P90X is like comparing apples to oranges, IMO. I did the Shakeweight, with the DVD program that came with it, 3 times a week for one month. I took my bicep measurements before I started and after the one month. Not only did I not lose even one-eighth of an inch, but there was no difference in my arm or shoulder shape at all. I yard saled it a few months later. Plus, it only is supposed to work out your arms, shoulders and a little bit of the upper back. Whereas P90X is a whole body workout and much longer of a workout than the one provided with the Shakeweight.

Now, I cannot comment on the P90X, but I did do the regular P90 for 2 weeks, and I know the P90X is much tougher than the original. With the regular P90, I gained a half inch on my biceps in 2 weeks of useing it. This is not something I wanted to do. My arms are one of my problem areas and I was looking to reduce there. But my brother and nephew do P90X and are getting into great shape with it.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Hhhmmmm. I really do not know what to think here. I have also been wondering about the shake weights and to be honest, I have been getting different stories about it and everyone seems pretty sincere. But how can it work for one and not the other...unless the technique they are using differs? I think the only way I will know for sure is trying it out myself...which I think it is time to do.

Thank you for this thread as it has motivated me to try out shake weights..and measure progress (or lack thereof diligently)!

8. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Linky, don't forget to come back her and post any results you get. I'm glad to hear than you will take measurements beforehand. That really helps when you see yourself daily and think nothing looks different.

9. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Nope; I have a penis so if I wanted to jack off I wouldn't need to spend $25 on a shake weight. What a joke this item is.