Anyone here cut their own hair?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by anniep1978 • Sep 20, 2012.

1. anniep1978

anniep1978New Member

Threads:
    Just curious if anyone else here cuts their own hair. I started cutting my own a few months ago. Please share any tips you might have Right now I just trim in the mirror to keep split ends at bay. I got tired of paying around $75 just to get my hair cut! Prices are outrageous these days.

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Isn't that hard to do? I can't imagine it unless your using the electric razor and would like the skin head.
    The only hairs that I cut are my side burns and those in my private parts lol :D

3. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I do my own hair. I trim or dust my ends as needed. I just use 2 mirrors and mist my dry hair lightly. I part ear to ear in sections/rows from the nape of the neck working towards the crown. Each section I trim my split ends. You Tube has some helpful videos. As for styling I do my own hair my whole life. I've done everything from braids and extension twists to a simple ponytail. It saves me money, time and I like to do my own hair. Most people think I go to the salon anyway.

4. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I normally dust my ends. I part my hair in eight sections and trim the split ends of each section. I have naturally kinky hair, so its easier for me to trim it when its 50-75% dried after washing. Also, you could check out a few videos on YouTube, some are really great videos and teach you different methods to cut your own hair.

5. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I cut my hair and I cut my daughter's hair, but I would not cut my son's hair. If there is not layering involved it's not that difficult. Having a good pair of scissors and a good comb are important for me. I do my hair in front of a mirror and after brushing it, I comb it and part it into sections. I never cut more than a few inches and my hair is long, so this makes it easier than cutting a shorter style. Having done it for a while, it has become pretty easy and I've gotten good at getting a straight cut. So, if a basic cut is all that is needed, cutting at home is definitely better and cheaper.

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Cutting one's hair is possible, but there comes a certain point where you have to bow to someone else's expertise and whatnot. Maintaince is rather different then actual styling.

7. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I cut everyones hair in my family. For myself, I do the bent over ponytail cut (you can google it). It is so simple to do and quick and you end up with nice layers. Here is a video that explains how to do this:

8. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Nope, never. I'm a perfectionist; the bad kind of a perfectionist. I'd watch every single detail of my hear and keep cutting my hair until it all became a mess. That's what usually happens with most things I want to be really careful to. I rather pay a few bucks for a professional to cut my hair :p

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. I had previously only ever had my mom cut it, but once I moved away, I still didn't want to spend that much money to have a professional do it.

10. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    That is a talent that no one has at home. I know friends who cut their hair themselves, but in my case it´s impossible. The cost of my hairdresser is 50 dollars , a real investment if it´s to remove hair. When I was younger, my mom sharpened scissors and improvise on our young hair, but now I can't allow her to practice with my hair. An alternative, a middle, is to test in hairdressing schools, where students perform advanced free cuts. I haven't much problem because I'm a man and don't have many style possibilities. I guess if I'm a women should be more delicate. Did you tried looking for videos on YouTube? You may find some free course to help you improve the results. It´s an interesting skill to develop. :D

11. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Oh! No. I tried it once and had to pay my hairdresser a huge sum to get it restyled. I have cut my sons hair but never mine after that terrible accident. I have long straight hair and even the slightest mistakes show up. I like my hair to be perfect. I stick to one hairdresser and don't even let others in the salon touch my hair. I don't mind paying for a decent haircut anytime.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That's a good idea. They don't do it for free around here, but there's a huge discount. If your hair is easy, then it should be easy and pretty risk-free. If you want something fancy done, though, then you're probably better off going to a professional still yet.

13. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I tried it a couple of times but could never get them evenly trimmed on my own. I occasionally get my daughter to trim the dry ends. But when it really looks out of shape, I visit the salon for a proper cut.

14. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    This looks very interesting. However, I am not sure that I am brave enough to do this on my own hair. For me, I think this method might work to "hold me over" until the next salon appointment, at least in the beginning.

15. Strawberries

StrawberriesNew Member

Threads:
    I have been letting my hair grow out for the last few years. Only once in that time have I ever needed to trim off the split ends, and

actually made it REALLY simple, and it looked nice! I even trimmed a bit off the front for bangs, but be careful if you do this because they turned out shorter than I expected :eek:

16. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I have not tried this because my hair is too shot I guess for cutting it on my own. I remembered when I was a kid I did cut my hair but I was 4 that time and I don't know what I am doing. My friend who is a girl cuts her own hair but it is just a simple trim and I guess it is really possible for the girls who have long hair.

17. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    Recently I have just been trimming the bangs. Youtube very beautifully showcased videos that helped me get the technique. I would recommend you to also see few videos out there.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do cut my hair occasionally, like when I trim the edges after noticing that the hairdresser's cut isn't even after I got a haircut. My hairstyle is layered, so sometimes to slow down the growing process I trim the ends of my hair sparingly. But we can't really depend on ourselves alone to achieve a "chic" look by cutting our own hair. We really need to see a hairdresser once in a while. I think twice a year is ok.

19. vjykmr89

vjykmr89Member

Threads:
    I hacked off half my hair with scissors when I got depressed (I suffer mental health problems...) and had to get my dad to fix and even it up, if that counts. xD

Always cut your hair in front of a mirror and get someone to check on the back while you're cutting so you don't overdo it. Other than that, I don't think I can help, sorry.

20. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I've only cut my own bangs. My mom has cut her own hair for 30 years. She does her own color too. She looks pretty good. I can't do it. My hair is pencil straight and needs layers to look right. I know I couldn't do it myself. I do cut my daughters and plan to for awhile. I think it's a good way to save some money, but I'll be paying for my haircuts.