Anyone here cut their own hair?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by anniep1978 • Sep 20, 2012.

1. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I also cut my own hair and have let my natural colour grow in. However, my style is pretty low maintenance in terms of cutting. I like to keep it long and I find I can maintain my layers ok, and cut off my split ends. I really do not believe salons are worth it anymore, for me personally.

2. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I cut my own hair but it's quite difficult. I have thery thick and long hair, so when I need to shorten them a bit, I usually go to the hairdresser.

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just cut my split ends and if i decide i want my hair a little shorter i do it myself i never try layers or anything i'm scared i might mess up and end up having to go some where to get it fixed any how.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I do actually cut my own hair as well as one of my brother's hair. We both use something called a barber comb. Its a two-sided comb with razor blades in the center of it. You comb it through the hair and it cuts it as you go along. One side gives a closer cut while the other side cuts less. This seems to work pretty well in cutting our hair so I can recommend it.

5. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    i just recently cut my own hair not to long ago i dont think i did that bad of a job was just cutting the split ends but it turned out ok but i think next time i'll go get it done at a salon.

6. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    I used to cut my own hair a lot. I went to the salon probably once every 4 months to get it shaped properly then I maintained the shape at home. I haven't had a haircut in over a year because the last stylist who did it really messed up my hair. I'm trying to grow out the crooked layers she put in. It's hard to trust people to do a good job. I think I'll stick to cutting my hair myself and watch a few youtube videos for tips.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have kinky hair worn in a boy cut that I do myself on a regular basis. I have my own clippers which I got when I got tired of waiting so long in the barber shop to get my hair cut. My daughter is a hair stylist who never has time for me so I said I will do it myself, I like the results and the money I save.

8. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Sure I cut my own hair and whenever it needs it. I don't trust anyone else cutting on my hair because they cut to much off and then say it needs it. Let me be the judge of whether it needs that much or what. So I get to do all the cutting on my hair and no one else.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I do not cut my own hair, I insist on paying a professional to do it for me because my mum would insist on cutting our hair as children and she always did a horrible bowl cut job.:D

10. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I will trim my own but have never attempted to do a complete style and cut on my own hair. I am pretty sure that it would be a disaster if I tried to do it myself. I wish I could do it, it sure would save a lot of money.

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been cutting my own hair for years now, it must have saved me a load of money. A haircut costs around 20 dollars and it grows back within a month, that's a lot of money each year. I shave my hair so I don't really need the skills of a hairdresser.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been cutting my own hair for 11 years now. My haircut is pretty simple, it's just a buzz cut that's a little shorter on the sides than on the top. I can do it with a pair of electric clippers and a few attachments in a matter of minutes. It was only costing me like $10 plus tip to get it cut, but I was going every 2-3 weeks to get it done because it gets kind of frizzy before it grows out long enough to start combing it. It's not hard to do really, the trick is to get used to using a handheld mirror along with the bathroom mirror to see the back of your head, and learning how to do everything backwards.

13. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I trim my hair at home. I just trimmed my ends a few days ago. You can find a bunch of how to videos on Youtube.com. Make sure to use sharp scissors so you don't cause more split ends.

[video=youtube;hamVwPGm3As]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hamVwPGm3As[/video]

14. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I used to never cut my own hair, as I've messed it up in the past, but lately I've started again! I'll just sit down with my girlfriend and either have her do it for me or help me out. It can be difficult if you're doing something complicated. My hair is different lengths on different sides, and I only like my bangs a certain way, so it's nice to have the added help! As you said, it's not worth going to a salon. I dye my own hair as well for that reason.

15. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I really cannot offer any tips because most of the ones I had to offer have already been listed. I think it is great that you can do things to and for yourself and body. I use to go every other week to get my hair washed, shampooed, and flat ironed. Occasionally I would get my ends trimmed and it started adding up when I knew I could do it myself. I started watching Youtube and read information on the Internet. That is the best option for Doing things yourself on top of just experimenting. I have found out when doing my hair it is better to section it for the bet result no matter what I do.

16. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I don't bother, because I can get a cut on the market here for 5 Euro (around $7). I only need it done every 3 months or so, as my hair is long and in good condition, so I don't begrudge that. I cut my husband's hair with Wahl electric clippers with different attachments for summer and winter cuts, and I colour my hair about three times a year with a tint from Poundland. That means my entire annual hair styling budget for the two of us is around 24 Euro ($32). I'm more than happy to pay that.

17. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have been doing my own hair since I was twelve, and that includes cutting it. I read a cosmetology text book a long time ago that showed you how to properly cut hair and I've never looked back. If I do something to my hair and it's messed up in anyway, it's on me. If I pay someone and it's messed up, I'm not happy and I'm out of money in the process. My hair is long and free of chemicals; I trim the ends periodically for split ends, but it's very low maintenance for the most part.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep my hair long, so all I have to do is trim the ends from time to time. I'm a hippie artist type and don't like short hair on myself. I haven't been to a professional hairstylist since 1991. I also have never colored my hair because my hair is very dark, almost black and I'm happy with my natural color. The idea of spending money on getting my hair done is just not relevant to my life, I don't even covet or aspire to pay someone to do my hair.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been cutting my hair for years. Layers and all. It's pretty hard to mess up really. My fave method is just taking chunks, hold them up high and snip away the ends. Awesome layers. It looks better than when I used to go to the salon. I have a hard time with short styles, so I tend to destroy my sons hair lol, but with patience it turns out pretty good.

20. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I would probably learn how to as well when it costs like that??! Why is it so expensive?